Morgan withdraws from NBA draft

2 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Some days @IU Scott I just don't understand you.  You're an intelligent person who obviously follows college basketball.  You're not that old and have seen several IU players do the exact same thing over the last 10 years.

All I am saying is that if the plan is to come back no matter what , why not just stay on campus and work with your teammates to get better for next year.  People are saying he is definitely coming back which to me is not a given since he is at least going through the process.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am not faulting him one bit but I just don't see how it will help him when coming back.  Also some thing from past is not bad and some can learn from the past.  I know you get tired of me talking about the past but I just don't like it when people think if things happened before they were boring is irrelevant.

Do you have a job?  Do you have evaluations?  Do you have a boss who helps develop you for future posistion within your organization or industry.  I am sure you just don't work for year and year and years and never have a boss evaluate you, even though you go back to work the same every day.

26 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If he has made up his mind and is coming back I just don't see how getting feedback will help you one way or the other.  It is not like it helped Johnson last year to go through the process.  if he is defintly coming back I would rather stay on campus and work with your teammates and coaching staff.  To me this process is good for kids who are not sure if they are coming back or going to the draft and not for kids who know they are coming back.

He won't lose out on anything. Summer workouts are much different no full teamstuff. A lot of it done with the asst. Coaches. Get the feedback put yourself on the radar.  More scouts will look at u next year which also helps your teammates get more looks.

Just now, IU Scott said:

All I am saying is that if the plan is to come back no matter what , why not just stay on campus and work with your teammates to get better for next year.  People are saying he is definitely coming back which to me is not a given since he is at least going through the process.

It's not a given he's coming back because no one truly knows anything, but do you not see the value in understanding where you stand with getting into the next level of basketball while you still have a whole season left in college so you can spend that time working on flaws in your game so that when the time comes and you are much more serious about playing professionally you will be that much more prepared?

1 minute ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Do you have a job?  Do you have evaluations?  Do you have a boss who helps develop you for future posistion within your organization or industry.  I am sure you just don't work for year and year and years and never have a boss evaluate you, even though you go back to work the same every day.

In that example he would be evaluated by his college coach which would represent his boss and not the NBA.

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

He won't lose out on anything. Summer workouts are much different no full teamstuff. A lot of it done with the asst. Coaches. Get the feedback put yourself on the radar.  More scouts will look at u next year which also helps your teammates get more looks.

He will lose out playing pick up games with his teammates and not get to work with some of the younger players and help them develop.

27 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If he has made up his mind and is coming back I just don't see how getting feedback will help you one way or the other...... To me this process is good for kids who are not sure if they are coming back or going to the draft and not for kids who know they are coming back.

Hence, the logical and obvious reason he did NOT hire an agent. He wants to know what he needs to do to be NBA ready. Simple...

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

In that example he would be evaluated by his college coach which would represent his boss and not the NBA.

Then have you ever interviewed for a job and got feedback from them telling you why you didn't get the job.  I have, which allowed me to focus on areas for my next interview.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

He will lose out playing pick up games with his teammates and not get to work with some of the younger players and help them develop.

Why will he miss out on that. He will still be in Bloomington working on his game to get better. Will just be involved in camps and workouts for the pro scouts 

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

He'll also get a chance to compete against people other than his teammates. Lots of positives to that scenario. May learn new skills. Combats the boredom of going against the same guys day after day. Quite probably goes against higher quality competition. These things can then be brought back to the team to help the younger kids.

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

In college I had to do student teaching and an intern ship to see what I needed to work on before I started teaching. If he wants to play pro basketball his coach is no more of a boss than my professors were.  I went into the professional setting got feedback from people that would be hiring me on what I need to do to get a job.  Same as Juwan CAM is not hiring him and I hope not paying him hence not the boss.

14 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Then have you ever interviewed for a job and got feedback from them telling you why you didn't get the job.  I have, which allowed me to focus on areas for my next interview.

Nope never had a company give me feedback on why I did not get a job.

20 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Yes, but he's getting feedback from another source than his coaches.  What the NBA people say will probably reinforce what his coaches say which is good.  If the NBA people saw something the coaches didn't see that's good, too.  It's a win-win situation.

This is not a surprise at all.  His goal is the NBA.  Why not test the waters and at least see where he stands?   Who knows he may surprise at tryouts and find a team that takes a chance.  More than likely though he'll just get some invaluable feedback on what he needs to do to break into the NBA next year.

I expect as soon as the tryouts are over he'll say he's coming back.  I'll be worried if he keeps quiet until May 30th.

Go Hoosiers!!!

27 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

There are not right or wrong answer to this because it is just an opinion.  Just because you think it is right does not mean it is right or wrong.

Yeah, Scott you are wrong...dead wrong.  Look at this thread and find me ONE person that agrees with you.  You're simply not going to find anyone make an argument that makes any sense for ignoring the NBA where you hope to someday land.

1. Juwan is a skilled and experienced college basketball player.
  2. Juwan's dream is to someday play in the NBA for $$$.
  3. Juwan has doubts that he is ready now for the NBA and is wondering what else he can do to better prepare for the NBA.
  4. The people most qualified to answer these questions for Juwan are NBA scouts and coaches.
  5. By declaring for the draft without an agent, Juwan will be able to speak directly with said coaches and scouts and ask their opinion on how close he is to being ready for the NBA, where/if the NBA folks think he would likely be drafted and what he needs to do next year at IU to improve his chances of realizing his dream.
  6. Juwan can take that information back to IU and use it to better himself, help the team and prepare for next year's draft.
  7. Spring pickup games with the current roster will only tell him that he's still better than most of the current and incoming roster.  He'll have plenty of time for that this summer and it won't give him any idea how ready he is to play against bona fide NBA players and prospects entering this year's draft.

You need to not be quite so hard-headed here.  It's pretty much unanimous that you are wrong on this subject but yet you don't seem to even consider the other side of the argument, but instead cling insistently to opinions that are getting zero agreement among other IU basketball fans.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Some people just don't like it when other people have different opinion than they have.  I never once said that Morgan shouldn't go ahead and get evaluated but I just don't think it does nay good for him to do so if his plans are to come back.

Not going - might help him and the team in the very slightest of ways...I can't really think of any other than time hanging out together or someone to drive the car.

Going - would hopefully help set him up for a better LIFE after next season. For all the reasons listed a couple posts up from here.

I would go if i was in his shoes, i bet you would too.

The only harm in going might be if he has horrendous workouts/showings, i don't think he will.

10 minutes ago, ColtsIUDomer said:

Not going - might help him and the team in the very slightest of ways...I can't really think of any other than time hanging out together or someone to drive the car.

Going - would hopefully help set him up for a better LIFE after next season. For all the reasons listed a couple posts up from here.

I would go if i was in his shoes, i bet you would too.

The only harm in going might be if he has horrendous workouts/showings, i don't think he will.

Again, like I mentioned in a previous post, I am speaking  as a former travel and high school softball coach. This whole process is very similar for young ladies with with aspirations to play in college. My daughter's travel  did the ASA circuts and various showcase tournaments. Like Juwan, we were helping to prepare those girls with the best possible tools and opportunities to get noticed in college. They would often go to showcases and invites, separate from the "team" to try to better their stock the future and eventually college. It just a no brainer!

45 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Some people just don't like it when other people have different opinion than they have.  I never once said that Morgan shouldn't go ahead and get evaluated but I just don't think it does nay good for him to do so if his plans are to come back.

I could at least see some logic behind him not being helped for next year in college if he opts to come back but still go through the feedback process...even disagree at this point but that seems more plausible.

The point that others are trying to make and which there really can't be any debate about is how this could help him for the year following next year (I.e. his future and livelihood outside of college basketball)

This is an easy one lol...

I agree wholeheartedly that he should obtain the NBA evaluations.   It's a freebie.   I honestly think Coach Knight would tell him the same thing if he were still coaching.

Also, isn't Juwan just a great kid?  I have followed him in interviews since he was in high school.  I believe he has always been a good student, and also takes leadership seriously.  Some kids don't have that switch, but Juwan does.  He's obviously a hard worker because we wouldn't see the improvement he has demonstrated.  We aren't on the inside so we only see the public version of Juwan.  But, to me, he comes across as a great kid who is a credit to IU.

I say this all the time, but I truly believe it.  In recruiting, the player obviously has to have talent.  That's not in dispute.  But, once you start picking among legitimate candidates, the first thing I'd look for is something that is hard to see for fans, and that's heart.  If a kid has a motor, plays hard, is unselfish, and works, that's what I'd want.  I'd take the 4 star with all those attributes over the five star prima donna every time.  Rankings are interesting but number 52 or whatever may cruise on his skill set but number 124 will outwork everyone.  I want a team full of tough, hard charging kids.  

It's hard  to get through a post without mentioning Romeo.  But not only is he talented, but he understands that for whom much has been given, much is expected.  The most impressive thing I have ever heard about Romeo is not that he is 6'5 or his scoring average.  It's that he spends so much time after every game signing autographs for kids.  That's what I want representing IU.

Archived