Morgan withdraws from NBA draft

14 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I think Carsen is playing himself solidly in the 2nd round.  He’s having a darn good combine by the reports ive heard.  

Interesting.  The Purdue fans on GBI absolutely think he is coming back from what I read.  If you are right, there's going to be an interesting meltdown over there.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

See this is what I don't understand why would you leave college if you are not going to be drafted and give up your eligibility to play in the G-league.  To me if you leave early because you are afraid  that the NBA will find faults in your game then you are not every going to be good enough.  If you have those faults in your game they will find them even if you leave early and will be out of the league in a year or two.

You leave college so someone might pay you before those and other faults are known....or more exposed. Whether that's in the G League or Europe. If you stick around for the student body (no problem if that's a kids choice) you better hope you have a phenomenal season. Plenty more risk (for the $) in staying...if you think there might be a GM or team who you think will take you in 2nd round. 

Look at Yogi. Did him staying 1 more year elevate his draft status any? None whatsoever. His hard work made him his $. Plenty of parallels to Carsen. 

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

Interesting.  The Purdue fans on GBI absolutely think he is coming back from what I read.  If you are right, there's going to be an interesting meltdown over there.

New territory for them. They have had what 6 guys even drafted to the league under Painter? And I think 4 of those guys have only 1 year of service (Hammons, Hummel, JJ, Swanigan?). Landry and Moore only 2 that have had sustainable careers.

If he does leave you can move Purdue down 3-4 spots and I'm very happy we get them twice next year.

18 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

New territory for them. They have had what 6 guys even drafted to the league under Painter? And I think 4 of those guys have only 1 year of service (Hammons, Hummel, JJ, Swanigan?). Landry and Moore only 2 that have had sustainable careers.

If he does leave you can move Purdue down 3-4 spots and I'm very happy we get them twice next year.

They will be awful without Edwards next year.

1 hour ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

If he leaves it’s going to be hilarious. They will be miserable and spend the year complaining about IU being cheaters to get Romeo. 

They’ll say they got screwed because Painter is just too good of a talent identifier/developer.  There’s a great “rank the coaches in the Big Ten” thread on their board.  Consensus seems to be that Porkchop only ranks behind Izzo and Beilein, and Archie barely cracks the top 10, lol

6 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

They’ll say they got screwed because Painter is just too good of a talent identifier/developer.  There’s a great “rank the coaches in the Big Ten” thread on their board.  Consensus seems to be that Porkchop only ranks behind Izzo and Beilein, and Archie barely cracks the top 10, lol

I saw that thread and laughed at it as well.  About the only thing I agree with most of them about is that little Ricky is among the worst in the B1G.  I personally have him dead last. He can recruit a little bit because of his last name, but he's terrible at X's & O's and player development.

Oops...derailing the topic yet again...

Mom and Dad's anniversary was yesterday.  All my relation showed up including 10 Purdue grads.  We got to talking about Purdue and Edwards.  My family hopes he leaves and that will finally usher Painter out the door.  

11 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I saw that thread and laughed at it as well.  About the only thing I agree with most of them about is that little Ricky is among the worst in the B1G.  I personally have him dead last. He can recruit a little bit because of his last name, but he's terrible at X's & O's and player development.

Oops...derailing the topic yet again...

I had to LOL at the comment about how only a few BT coaches have had success in March like Painter...

Only 9 days (or less) before we have a definitive decision from Juwan.

14 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

The ranking of Painter isn't outrageous - I think Archie and Holtmann will prove to be much better coaches but depending on your criteria you could have them slightly lower due to lack of track record. Obviously, though, enormous drop-off from Beilein/Izzo to Painter, who is really just a solid coach but nothing more.

Having Archie as low as some of them do is laughable, though. 

2 minutes ago, jimsorgi said:

The ranking of Painter isn't outrageous - I think Archie and Holtmann will prove to be much better coaches but depending on your criteria you could have them slightly lower due to lack of track record. Obviously, though, enormous drop-off from Beilein/Izzo to Painter, who is really just a solid coach but nothing more.

Also, best part of that board, consistently, is that they assume (and fight about the idea) that anyone who is ever negative toward Purdue/Painter or complimentary toward IU is an IU fan pretending.

The Purdue mentality (they only care about what they do in relation to IU) never ceases to amaze me.

5 minutes ago, jimsorgi said:

You’re probably not wrong, which is a pretty big indictment of the current level of coaching in the Big Ten.  After Izzo and Beilein, every coach in the Big Ten is either exceedingly average (Painter, Turgeon), new and unproven (Archie, Holtmann, Collins, Gard, Underwood, Pikiell), or just bad (McCaffrey, Miles, Chambers, Pitino).

It was hilarious that they were ranking Underwood ahead of Archie.  And one of them was arguing that Painter is just as good a recruiter as Izzo is, because “neither of them get every recruit they want” 😂😂😂

40 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

You’re probably not wrong, which is a pretty big indictment of the current level of coaching in the Big Ten.  After Izzo and Beilein, every coach in the Big Ten is either exceedingly average (Painter, Turgeon), new and unproven (Archie, Holtmann, Collins, Gard, Underwood, Pikiell), or just bad (McCaffrey, Miles, Chambers, Pitino).

It was hilarious that they were ranking Underwood ahead of Archie.  And one of them was arguing that Painter is just as good a recruiter as Izzo is, because “neither of them get every recruit they want” 😂😂😂

Completely agree with all of that.  I think there's enough good, relatively new coaching in the Big 10 (Archie. Holtmann, and maybe Underwood/Collins) for improvement, but the current level is just weak.

As I have to constantly tell boiler...I am thrilled that they think so highly of Painter. Give him a lifetime contract. They may threaten IU once every five years after Archie gets this thing rolling. When it all comes together for Painter and he has a strong veteran team like he did this year, or they dip in to the slush fund and get a Swanigan.

^^ The big question I think is going to be what Painter can do, in recruiting, now that CAM is recruiting IN. If this year's class is the start of continuing recruiting for IU -- at this point that seems likely but is still a question mark -- Painter is going to have a large uphill fight ahead of him.

2 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

^^ The big question I think is going to be what Painter can do, in recruiting, now that CAM is recruiting IN. If this year's class is the start of continuing recruiting for IU -- at this point that seems likely but is still a question mark -- Painter is going to have a large uphill fight ahead of him.

I think we are already seeing it. He's going to end up with the Eric Hunters and Isaiah Thompsons of the state. The tier below the players that IU gets. 

1 minute ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

I think we are already seeing it. He's going to end up with the Eric Hunters and Isaiah Thompsons of the state. The tier below the players that IU gets. 

Nothing earth shattering on my part. No clue what future holds but if I'm a Purdue fan with any sense of pride or whatever verb you want to call your fandom...Archie stepping in and in year 1 takes the top 3 in the state? Now we are front runners for TJD/Brooks.

We'll find out how serious Purdue takes their hoops. Couple of rough seasons ahead (maybe worse if CE leaves). Problem is this and maybe they know it....Painter might be the best they can get there and that's why they are ok with his results? Maybe boiler can chime in. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Nothing earth shattering on my part. No clue what future holds but if I'm a Purdue fan with any sense of pride or whatever verb you want to call your fandom...Archie stepping in and in year 1 takes the top 3 in the state? Now we are front runners for TJD/Brooks.

We'll find out how serious Purdue takes their hoops. Couple of rough seasons ahead (maybe worse if CE leaves). Problem is this and maybe they know it....Painter might be the best they can get there and that's why they are ok with his results? Maybe boiler can chime in. 

Underneath, they are nervous as hell. They’re gonna put on a false bravado for now though. 

Despite what I posted earlier, about Juwan wearing Candy Stripes next season.  I have been advised ( media type friend of mine, who saw my post ) there is one NBA team that considers Juwan to be a diamond in the rough. And a team that historically has drafted on potential. More than most other NBA teams.

Personally, I feel Juwan will still be wearing Candy Stripes next season.

I think their fondness of Painter is sentimentality more than anything else. Next year will be his 14th season. In this day and age, that's a long time for a coach to be in one place. He started with a hard-luck team that lost 4 players to season-ending injuries. Then came the Baby Boilers, and of course they got to enjoy our struggles while they prospered. The post-Robbie Hummel era brought more struggles, and some even thought Painter would be fired. Roosevelt Barnes helped him escape that crevice. It's just not all that common to see a coach have that kind of roller-coaster track record. We just fired a coach because of that.

I'm not sure what Painter is like personally, but he never struck me as someone who would burn bridges and always try to be the smartest guy in the room like Crean. The fact that he's a PU grad obviously helps him there too.

Purdue has a lot of immature internet fans. These are the people who have the all-time series record written on their arms and instinctively throw out things like "dusty banners" and "irrelevant" any time IU is mentioned. I remember reading GBI after we hung 97 on them at their place and later that season in the days leading up to their game in Bloomington. They were seriously depressed about how bad we were going to beat them, and I almost felt bad for them. I hope the coming years bring us more of that.

7 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Despite what I posted earlier, about Juwan wearing Candy Stripes next season.  I have been advised ( media type friend of mine, who saw my post ) there is one NBA team that considers Juwan to be a diamond in the rough. And a team that historically has drafted on potential. More than most other NBA teams.

Personally, I feel Juwan will still be wearing Candy Stripes next season.

He wasn't invited to the combine, even as an alternate, right? I just don't see why anyone would draft him right now.

Archived