Morgan withdraws from NBA draft

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Some people just don't like it when other people have different opinion than they have.  I never once said that Morgan shouldn't go ahead and get evaluated but I just don't think it does nay good for him to do so if his plans are to come back.

“I just don’t think it does any good for him to do so if his plans are to come back.”  This is objectively wrong.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Some people just don't like it when other people have different opinion than they have.  I never once said that Morgan shouldn't go ahead and get evaluated but I just don't think it does nay good for him to do so if his plans are to come back.

Would you tell your kids not to take an internship because they could shadow a professor?

20 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

He'll be back.  He's not getting drafted and the chance to play with Romeo will be too good pass up.  Much like DJ coming back to play with EJ.

Saw a stat yesterday that after the average number of foreign players and seniors drafted, there are only 34 draft slots for early entrants from college. The only way I can imagine Morgan leaving is if he decides going to the G-League or overseas to get paid. Can’t imagine him doing that. 

16 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I agree wholeheartedly that he should obtain the NBA evaluations.   It's a freebie.   I honestly think Coach Knight would tell him the same thing if he were still coaching.

Also, isn't Juwan just a great kid?  I have followed him in interviews since he was in high school.  I believe he has always been a good student, and also takes leadership seriously.  Some kids don't have that switch, but Juwan does.  He's obviously a hard worker because we wouldn't see the improvement he has demonstrated.  We aren't on the inside so we only see the public version of Juwan.  But, to me, he comes across as a great kid who is a credit to IU.

I say this all the time, but I truly believe it.  In recruiting, the player obviously has to have talent.  That's not in dispute.  But, once you start picking among legitimate candidates, the first thing I'd look for is something that is hard to see for fans, and that's heart.  If a kid has a motor, plays hard, is unselfish, and works, that's what I'd want.  I'd take the 4 star with all those attributes over the five star prima donna every time.  Rankings are interesting but number 52 or whatever may cruise on his skill set but number 124 will outwork everyone.  I want a team full of tough, hard charging kids.  

It's hard  to get through a post without mentioning Romeo.  But not only is he talented, but he understands that for whom much has been given, much is expected.  The most impressive thing I have ever heard about Romeo is not that he is 6'5 or his scoring average.  It's that he spends so much time after every game signing autographs for kids.  That's what I want representing IU.

Great post!

• 3 weeks later...

I'd be shocked if Juwan doesn't come back! Perfect opportunity to come back with better help around him. He would have a Chance to compete for BIG title and work on that jumper so he can get drafted. Europe or D league will always be there for Juwan but competing for a BIG champ and opportunity to work yourself into a draft position won't be. Juwan and Romeo need each other to get were they both wanna be. 

6 minutes ago, ArchieBall13 said:

I would have thought we'd heard by now one way or another on Juwan especially if he didn't get invited to the combine. What's the deadline for him to declare his return back to college?

I believe its around May 20th or something to declare his return.  I don't have any doubt he is coming back and now that this was announced today i don't think it will be long before we hear he is come officially coming back.  I just don't see him declaring if he wasn't invited to the combine

58 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I believe its around May 20th or something to declare his return.  I don't have any doubt he is coming back and now that this was announced today i don't think it will be long before we hear he is come officially coming back.  I just don't see him declaring if he wasn't invited to the combine

NBA.com shows June 11th.

Different dates that matter for the NCAA and NBA.

You have to withdraw from the draft by May 30th to still be eligible to play college.

This renders the NBA's June 11th early entry withdrawal deadline basically a moot point. 

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/kentucky/2018/04/02/kentucky-basketball-nba-draft-decision-deadline-combine/477226002/

1 hour ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

You have to withdraw from the draft by May 30th to still be eligible to play college.

This renders the NBA's June 11th early entry withdrawal deadline basically a moot point. 

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/kentucky/2018/04/02/kentucky-basketball-nba-draft-decision-deadline-combine/477226002/

Thanks for the link.  This whole this is weird and messy.  Declaring but not hiring a agent, must withdraw by the 30th for the NCAA but you have to the NBA lets you withdraw before June 11.  So what are you going to do, go to Europe or the D league and not go through the draft process.  So weird.

2 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Thanks for the link. I thought I remembered it was right at the end of May and was thus surprised when I found the June 11 date, but I went with what I had in front of me.  Sounds like the NBA and the NCAA don't like each other.

Archived