Jump to content

Morgan withdraws from NBA draft


Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, KDB said:

Thought so. Wanted to make sure.

Thanks.

Just for reference:

Here are the three big deadlines players who are declaring for the draft will need to consider:

  • Players must declare for the draft by April 22 to be considered
  • The NBA Draft Combine runs from May 16-20 in Chicago
  • Players must withdraw from the draft by May 30 to remain eligible for college play
  • The 2018 NBA Draft is on June 21
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

This s what I don't understand is if he knows he is coming back then why go through the process.

You get direct communication with teams, and the opportunity to participate fully in the process. If your goal is to try to make the NBA, you absolutely do this, it's why they changed the rules to allow it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Why not?

If he has made up his mind and is coming back I just don't see how getting feedback will help you one way or the other.  It is not like it helped Johnson last year to go through the process.  if he is defintly coming back I would rather stay on campus and work with your teammates and coaching staff.  To me this process is good for kids who are not sure if they are coming back or going to the draft and not for kids who know they are coming back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

If he has made up his mind and is coming back I just don't see how getting feedback will help you one way or the other.  It is not like it helped Johnson last year to go through the process.  if he is defintly coming back I would rather stay on campus and work with your teammates and coaching staff.  To me this process is good for kids who are not sure if they are coming back or going to the draft and not for kids who know they are coming back.

Scott, you are stuck in an era that has long gone by.  My guess is CAM told him to check it out.....as any good coach would do.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If he has made up his mind and is coming back I just don't see how getting feedback will help you one way or the other.  It is not like it helped Johnson last year to go through the process.  if he is defintly coming back I would rather stay on campus and work with your teammates and coaching staff.  To me this process is good for kids who are not sure if they are coming back or going to the draft and not for kids who know they are coming back.

Besides getting feedback on strengths and weaknesses,  he gets the opportunity to audition in front of these talent evaluators. Puts his name out there, front and center, so to speak.

Nothing like a bit of free exposure/advertising. May put him on some of these teams' radars who might not otherwise have been paying much attention to him

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If he has made up his mind and is coming back I just don't see how getting feedback will help you one way or the other.  It is not like it helped Johnson last year to go through the process.  if he is defintly coming back I would rather stay on campus and work with your teammates and coaching staff.  To me this process is good for kids who are not sure if they are coming back or going to the draft and not for kids who know they are coming back.

So if you were a junior in college knowing you had to go back to school to complete your degree, but had the chance to go meet with several companies in the industry you hope to work in, you would turn it down?

We have no idea if the feedback Johnson received helped him or not, because we don't know what the feedback was, and Johnson is one kid, there might be several other kids who benefited greatly from the process. Missing a couple weeks of workouts with IU, if it is even that much, is not going to hurt Morgan at all. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

No surprise, and I also think he’ll be back considering his likely draft stock and the things he’s said recently.  Kind of an interesting situation to keep an eye on with Romeo committing on April 30 and Juwan having until May 30 to withdraw from the draft. 

And any question about why he would declare without an agent right now is too dumb to even merit a response.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

No surprise, and I also think he’ll be back considering his likely draft stock and the things he’s said recently.  Kind of an interesting situation to keep an eye on with Romeo committing on April 30 and Juwan having until May 30 to withdraw from the draft. 

And any question about why he would declare without an agent right now is too dumb to even merit a response.

image.jpeg.24477b017250c8f05cf34603d928f8be.jpeg

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, rico said:

Scott, you are stuck in an era that has long gone by.  My guess is CAM told him to check it out.....as any good coach would do.

I am not faulting him one bit but I just don't see how it will help him when coming back.  Also some thing from past is not bad and some can learn from the past.  I know you get tired of me talking about the past but I just don't like it when people think if things happened before they were born is irrelevant.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...