Morgan withdraws from NBA draft

Why are we still discussing this? 0708 said weeks ago Juwan was coming back, then said we will find out officially today, and Mile confirmed today was the day he heard as well.

This is going to be one hell of a season, and with Archie at the helm, we aren't going to see a peak one season then a valley the next. We will see some small dips over time, but I believe the days of IU missing the NCAA Tournament under CAM are now behind us.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

They are no better than role players  and to me that is not worth leaving college early.  I guess I just will agree to disagree with you on this because I know I am in the minority here.  Money is not the driving force in my life and I would look at it as the NBA and the money will always be there but my youth will be short lived.  My thinking is why grow up early when you don't have and have to worry about all the adult stuff like handling money and paying bills. 

I am the one who would not leave early even if I was going to be the #1 pick in the draft.  I have seen plenty of all time great players stay for 3 to 4 years and it never effected their career one bit.

Why would they want to spend their short-lived youth in the classroom when they could spend it with their millions of dollars doing whatever they want?

16 minutes ago, IUaic said:

Why are we still discussing this? 0708 said weeks ago Juwan was coming back, then said we will find out officially today, and Mile confirmed today was the day he heard as well.

This is going to be one hell of a season, and with Archie at the helm, we aren't going to see a peak one season then a valley the next. We will see some small dips over time, but I believe the days of IU missing the NCAA Tournament under CAM are now behind us.

I'll wait until I hear it from Juwan himself.

6 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

So just to be clear, you wanted to spend your youth taking classes, not...doing whatever you really wanted?

I am saying my dream was to play college basketball and go to college and not to play in the NBA.  The NBA will not go away so it will be there any time so I would enjoy your life before you have to go to work.  Just listen to a lot of former NBA players and they said the best times of their life was playing college basketball.  Even IT said he wished he could have stayed at IU but his family was in desperate need that he had to go.  he said if his family was in a  little better shape that he would definitely have stayed  in school.

I honestly don't really care what you would do in that situation. That doesn't make it the right decision either, btw. Nor does it mean it would be the right decision for those players. You completely disregard any rational logic when you talk on these subjects. Most people want to better themselves to the best of their abilities while also making as most money as possible. 

1 hour ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

I'll wait until I hear it from Juwan himself.

I'd have thought recent past lessons about speculating too far one way or the other would have proven to have longer shelf life. It seems like this happens every time a major decision comes up involving the future of a sports figure of interest to IU fans. I've bought in before, so I'm neither immune nor trying to sound condescending .

42 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am saying my dream was to play college basketball and go to college and not to play in the NBA.  The NBA will not go away so it will be there any time so I would enjoy your life before you have to go to work.  Just listen to a lot of former NBA players and they said the best times of their life was playing college basketball.  Even IT said he wished he could have stayed at IU but his family was in desperate need that he had to go.  he said if his family was in a  little better shape that he would definitely have stayed  in school.

Hmmmmmmm concerning Zeke.  How did that work out for him?

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Playing college ball was the best time of my life. Professional ball was not.

2 hours ago, Zuckerkorn said:

It all boils down to how strongly a player desires to play for pay.  As a bit of a devil's advocate, if that's the main motivation he should go the very second he's eligible to.  He can make some money, develop, and avoid potential injury playing as an amateur.  Heck, he can always go to college later on if things don't work out.  The rebuttal would be that this likely leads to a lot of kids that would be living with shattered dreams and uncertain futures if/when they find themselves out of the league(s).  And how many regular people have you known that decided to chase a dream out of high school, saying they would go to college later - and never do, ending up in a mediocre (or worse) job.

IMO, the smart approach is to be realistic about your chances in the professional basketball world (that's what the "getting feedback' part is for) and, if you really think you will flourish, go for it when you are at your maximum value.  Guys like Zeller did just that.  Cody was a very good college player who was ready for the NBA, he will never be a superstar, but he left when the time was best.  What we all hope for is that a player makes that decision when they are not only ready basketball wise, but maturity wise.

Yeah, just don't forget there are other ways to make a great living and have a blast that aren't the NBA. 

Is it so crazy to think someone would want to go spend 10 years living in Europe playing basketball, making really good money? Honestly, it sounds pretty freaking awesome to me. 

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Yeah, just don't forget there are other ways to make a great living and have a blast that aren't the NBA. 

Is it so crazy to think someone would want to go spend 10 years living in Europe playing basketball, making really good money? Honestly, it sounds pretty freaking awesome to me. 

Sounds amazing to me. I’m pretty sure they’ve added the scholarship for life like UK has so that they can come back anyway right? If not, they should add it.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

They are no better than role players  and to me that is not worth leaving college early.  I guess I just will agree to disagree with you on this because I know I am in the minority here.  Money is not the driving force in my life and I would look at it as the NBA and the money will always be there but my youth will be short lived.  My thinking is why grow up early when you don't have and have to worry about all the adult stuff like handling money and paying bills. 

I am the one who would not leave early even if I was going to be the #1 pick in the draft.  I have seen plenty of all time great players stay for 3 to 4 years and it never effected their career one bit.

There's a concept call the Opportunity Cost--or in today's lexicon FOMO-Fear of Missing Out.

Maybe $$ is not the only driving force. Money may always be there, but other variables may come into play and be just as important to any kid that may cause him to choose to leave early. Such as:

-The aforementioned chance of injury

-Landing in a desirable city. 

-Playing for a desirable coach and with compatible teammates

-Opportunities for self branding and endorsement income

Making a decision to stay in school will have a cause and effect impact on some of these items.  A kid may be getting feedback that if he comes out this year, some of the criteria he finds important, besides money, will be met. He takes a gamble if he comes back to school, as at that point, the offers go off the table. Maybe they'll be there again next year, maybe they won't.

As far as "growing up early" and having to handle the "adult stuff".  Players at this level are going to have a team of advisors to handle finances/bills/ etc. As long as the player vets, and hires trustworthy advisers to help him, and as long as he listens to and follows their advice, he most likely will not deal with the mundane chores like handling the day-to-day finances. 

If the kid is ready, I would much rather he enter the "grown up" world than stay in college another year just to appease alumni and boosters.

16 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

There's a concept call the Opportunity Cost--or in today's lexicon FOMO-Fear of Missing Out.

Maybe $$ is not the only driving force. Money may always be there, but other variables may come into play and be just as important to any kid that may cause him to choose to leave early. Such as:

-The aforementioned chance of injury

-Landing in a desirable city. 

-Playing for a desirable coach and with compatible teammates

-Opportunities for self branding and endorsement income

Making a decision to stay in school will have a cause and effect impact on some of these items.  A kid may be getting feedback that if he comes out this year, some of the criteria he finds important, besides money, will be met. He takes a gamble if he comes back to school, as at that point, the offers go off the table. Maybe they'll be there again next year, maybe they won't.

As far as "growing up early" and having to handle the "adult stuff".  Players at this level are going to have a team of advisors to handle finances/bills/ etc. As long as the player vets, and hires trustworthy advisers to help him, and as long as he listens to and follows their advice, he most likely will not deal with the mundane chores like handling the day-to-day finances. 

If the kid is ready, I would much rather he enter the "grown up" world than stay in college another year just to appease alumni and boosters.

Had to lol regarding the fomo analogy...accurate

6 minutes ago, hoosiertildeath said:

I'm hoping Morgan returns to play for IU and Carson Edwards STAYS in the ( Censured ) draft !! Then , the smellermakers would have to replace their ENTIRE STARTING FIVE FROM LAST SEASON !! THAT WOULD BE FREAKING AWESOME , BABY !! Muck the smellermakers !!

Get over it.

Archived