Morgan withdraws from NBA draft

23 minutes ago, zerawkid said:

As usual, I love the writing and the research. I am just always a little reticent to be overly rah-rah until I see ACTUAL translation of effect on the court. I have a really good feeling about this upcoming season and beyond, but I did so too in he past.

I remain hopeful yet cautiously optimistic. I just want to be impressed, not disappointed. 

Yep.  As IU fans we don't have to go back very far, do we?  I was way more optimistic about 2016-17 than 2018-19, and we all know how that turned out.  Expectations do not equal reality.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

As heralded as the incoming class is, I don't see a starting backcourt of two freshmen. I think Romeo starts from day 1, but Rob will come off the bench. He'll get a chance to earn playing time, but I would hope that a kid who has been here for two years has progressed enough that he is the starter.

Yeah, I don't see us starting multiple freshman unless Green is a bust. Green will, and should, be given every chance to take the PG position and run with it. That's the best bet for our team.

I also don't see Davis starting. Whatever he adds in low post offense (which frankly, isn't much because he isn't our best low post scorer) he gives up on defense. 

1 hour ago, Hoosier987 said:

Great to have Juwan back! 

With Juwan coming back my early prediction for starting five is:

Phinisee

Romeo

Juwan

De'ron 

Justin Smith or Hunter or Thompson (good problem to have) 

With Race Thompson, Jerome Hunter and Devonte Green being first off the bench. 

Fortunately, I have no doubt that Archie, unlike you, will have his best defender in his top eight.

17 minutes ago, BoomBaby said:

Fortunately, I have no doubt that Archie, unlike you, will have his best defender in his top eight.

Hahaha ok ok. Don't be so angry- and you could very well be right - I love how McRoberts gets in people's grill. 

No disrespect to Priller or Gelon but unlike past years, what is beautiful about this team is we have 14 quality players (13 scholarships and McRoberts) -- however we know that Archie isn't going to have a 14 man rotation - more like an 8 man rotation. I'm sure practices are going to be very competitive, as GOOD players are going to be competing for playing time.

1 hour ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Yep.  As IU fans we don't have to go back very far, do we?  I was way more optimistic about 2016-17 than 2018-19, and we all know how that turned out.  Expectations do not equal reality.

Exactly, my friend.

And then, we achieved arguably our greatest success in over two decades with the miracle championship run under Davis. I certainly don’t remember expectations being anywhere in the ballpark of the results.

This program is VASTLY improved though, and we will be competing at a very high level soon. That I feel comfortable believing in. 

I just love that we can have this debate again! I am so looking forward to this season. A year of Archie' s system under their belt. Expectations are known by the players now what is expected of the them by the coach. Expectations are much higher from a fans point of view this coming year. I feel to begin the year it is

Green

Langford

Smith

Morgan 

And then one other. 

I would love a line up of three guys 6'7" or taller. I also think it would be unfair to put Morgan on the other teams center taking that kind of punishment game after game. Time to help him shine this year. I could see Race McRoberts or Davis. Exciting new times.

5 minutes ago, ButlerHoosier said:

I don't know look at Wisconsin that had Evans Dekker and Kaminsky they made it work. I think we could make it work too especially with Archies style of play. Time will tell though. 

I'm confused of your comparison to our team.

6 minutes ago, ButlerHoosier said:

I don't know look at Wisconsin that had Evans Dekker and Kaminsky they made it work. I think we could make it work too especially with Archies style of play. Time will tell though. 

They made it work because Dekker is a 3. Smith isn't a 3. 

Ok. Just saying I can see it going many different ways which is nice. We could play big and go with Davis at the 5 and Smith and Morgan at the 3 and 4. I don't know for sure if Davis will be in playing shape not to mention if he will be able to keep up with what Archie will expect or we could go small with McRoberts at the three. All I am saying is those 4 are favorites to start. I can see Smith or Morgan being able to guard the three. I guess I will just have to disagree with you guys on that. Maybe that is what Morgan was being told he needs to be able to guard multiple positions. Meaning 3-5. Who knows. I would just prefer to go with a lineup where Smith and Morgan are not switching on much larger guys down low that often. Just my two cents! I guess I am also forgetting Evan Fitzner too! He might make a push for the starting lineup. Who knows just glad we can have these debates rather than worried cause we only have three forwards that can play and we have to use Collin Hartman as a center. 

1 minute ago, ButlerHoosier said:

Ok. Just saying I can see it going many different ways which is nice. We could play big and go with Davis at the 5 and Smith and Morgan at the 3 and 4. I don't know for sure if Davis will be in playing shape not to mention if he will be able to keep up with what Archie will expect or we could go small with McRoberts at the three. All I am saying is those 4 are favorites to start. I can see Smith or Morgan being able to guard the three. I guess I will just have to disagree with you guys on that. Maybe that is what Morgan was being told he needs to be able to guard multiple positions. Meaning 3-5. Who knows. I would just prefer to go with a lineup where Smith and Morgan are not switching on much larger guys down low that often. Just my two cents!

I mean this is all possible, it just isn't backed up with anything we've seen. Smith nor Morgan have shown any evidence of being a three in Archie's system or else they'd have probably played it last season when we played three guards at all times despite having terrible guards. 

2 hours ago, RoadToZion said:

Green

Romeo

McRoberts

Smith

Morgan 

To START the year.

I think you are spot on! Mcroberts will be interesting because there will be a lot better offensive weapons on the bench thst he will be starting over but his over intangibles give us so much. Hopefully he can be a better threat offensively this year. If he can't I can see Jerome taking his spot and him coming off the bench providing a spark with hustle plays and toughness. 

Archie had a lot of pieces that can play! Going to be really interesting how it all works out and how far down the bench he will go. 

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I mean this is all possible, it just isn't backed up with anything we've seen. Smith nor Morgan have shown any evidence of being a three in Archie's system or else they'd have probably played it last season when we played three guards at all times despite having terrible guards. 

Whoa there, our guards weren't terrible. Inconsistent shooters and floor generals, yes, terrible, no.

1 minute ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Whoa there, our guards weren't terrible. Inconsistent shooters and floor generals, yes, terrible, no.

Our guards as a group were terrible, really bad, not good enough to win with. Whatever negative adjective you want to pick, but the group of them stunk. 

23 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Phin, Hunter and Davis would have to have incredible summers to make their way into the starting lineup. Green, Romeo, McBob, Smith, Morgan has to be the favorite.

Durham potentially could work his way in.

Race, coming off a redshirt, isn't a projected starter and not saying he will be, but very interested to see how he progresses over the summer -- he wasn't physically ready coming in as a frosh, that's no longer the case.

23 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Are we sure no one is transferring? If I am Moore - I see 0 playing time for me this year behind Morgan, Smith, Fitzner, Davis, Thompson, and possibly Hunter.

Is he going to be Priller 2.0?

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Our guards as a group were terrible, really bad, not good enough to win with. Whatever negative adjective you want to pick, but the group of them stunk. 

I think it was more about lacking a legit elite point guard. Rob was an elite defender, and finished in the top 25 in program history as a scorer. He was definitely not terrible. Al was a frosh, started out strong in terms of ball control but no jumper and hit the frosh wall. Newkirk was not the answer to a floor leader. Green did not find consistency. I'm not overreacting to choice of adjectives, but I don't think it's right to call our guards terrible.

2 minutes ago, IUaic said:

Are we sure no one is transferring? If I am Moore - I see 0 playing time for me this year behind Morgan, Smith, Fitzner, Davis, Thompson, and possibly Hunter.

Is he going to be Priller 2.0?

Semester has been over for 3 weeks so I would have thought we would have heard by now.  Also kids are in for summer workouts and the freshman should be arriving soon so if you were transferring you would want to pick a new school ASAP.

Archived