Comcast Dropping BTN?

Streaming services are a great option to get the B1G Network.  But the services do charge monthly fees.  And remember you still must pay for your internet.  And in most cases when you aren't bundling internet/tv your internet monthly payment may go way up.  So do your homework.

Go Hoosiers!!!

I'm old fashioned, but I'm not interested in having to use multiple tools to watch what I want.  I'll stick with Direct TV for all my viewing needs, and if they were to drop BTN for some reason (I doubt they they will any time soon), I would simply go without.  

15 hours ago, Indy1987 said:

Streaming services are a great option to get the B1G Network.  But the services do charge monthly fees.  And remember you still must pay for your internet.  And in most cases when you aren't bundling internet/tv your internet monthly payment may go way up.  So do your homework.

Go Hoosiers!!!

PS Vue + Comcast internet was still significantly cheaper than DirecTV + Comcast internet for us.

To each their own on cut the chord or not. I did years ago. Thanks to streaming, my library card, and a local bar I haven't missed anything that I wanted to watch. It does seem foolish though that the conference who was so far out in front of the country by creating it's own network....doesn't have direct streaming. Missing huge market. To me it's a simple cost/marketing strategy. $10/month for Big 10....something along those lines.

1 hour ago, Kodos said:

PS Vue + Comcast internet was still significantly cheaper than DirecTV + Comcast internet for us.

Yea Directv is expensive.  I moved recently and actually got a great deal with AT&T uverse/internet.  But I'm sure I'll shop around again in a year when the contract is up.  PSVue is who I used originally when I dumped cable.  But they raised their prices and I dumped them for Hulu.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

To each their own on cut the chord or not. I did years ago. Thanks to streaming, my library card, and a local bar I haven't missed anything that I wanted to watch. It does seem foolish though that the conference who was so far out in front of the country by creating it's own network....doesn't have direct streaming. Missing huge market. To me it's a simple cost/marketing strategy. $10/month for Big 10....something along those lines.

What's sad is even though one cord is cut another one snuck into our homes.  That dang internet bill seems to get higher every year.  I guess I'm just old but...it used to be a home phone bill and nothing else.  Now we have bills for phone, tv, internet and cell phones.  I did cut the land line a few years ago but the others eat way too much of our paychecks.  Ah but to see IU basketball games ya gotta do whatever.

Go Hoosiers!!!

1 hour ago, BeerBQ said:

Any opinions on Hulu Live? It's advertised for $40 per month and says it has BTN, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, FS1, FS2, FS Indiana, and a few other sports channels. That sounds great, but I'm wondering if there's a catch. 

I subscribed to Hulu Live, less than a month ago.  Purpose was to be able to get the BTN channel, after Comcast dumped it this past Spring for me.  I upgraded to the unlimited device option ($14.99 a month, extra),  and pay just about $50.00 a month.  And absolutely love it.  I did not realize how much I watched the BTN channel during the off season, till now.  Watching the FB media days on the BTN  this week was great.

As far as catches go, I know of none.  You get the first week for free, and since there is no contract, you can cancel at anytime.  Plus.... I found their reps some of the best ever, in terms of help.  I guess the only catch is if your streaming devices won't support Hulu Live TV.   I went out and bought a Roku Utra and already had a Chromcast Ultra already. Both are top of the line and support Hulu great.  Great picture, and no lag at all.  Already had a high speed internet connection, which helps as well

-----------------------------------

Addressing the issue of the cost of internet going up, mentioned earlier in this thread.  I am with Century Link.  I do have a land line and my internet through them.  They have been offering an internet price for life. And no contract.  Nor do they require a bundle for internet for life price.  When my five year low, low price ran out at the beginning of this year, I called Century Link about their internet price for life offer.  And asked them if they could even do better than the advertised price, since I have my land line with them and have been a customer since 1970.  They came back with a price even lower for life than what they were advertising.

I have found over the years, it does not hurt, even calling the cable companies  for tv, and asking for current deals which will lower your price for 6 months up to a year. 

16 hours ago, BeerBQ said:

Any opinions on Hulu Live? It's advertised for $40 per month and says it has BTN, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, FS1, FS2, FS Indiana, and a few other sports channels. That sounds great, but I'm wondering if there's a catch. 

Nothing necessarily about Hulu but I have Comcast and they love to throttle back speeds at certain times of the day etc....especially week nights and weekends. I am signed up for blast pro (150mbs) and very regularly see lag or incredible pixilation when I stream content during peak hours or especially when watching sunday ticket for NFL. I will stream amazon prime videos as well and see issues. All I would say is to keep in mind your typical streaming performance and if you are happy or not now...a fast paced sports game on a 60" 4k tv may not look so hot or perform great if you already have streaming issues from your ISP. I wish I could switch out our cable but Comcast is the only internet provider...sucks I've lived in much smaller towns and had choices yet in a town of officially 25 thousand with a majority of the county close to city limits that would probably add another 25 thousand we have few choices. We have Comcast techs (some from Michigan and Nashville) come out because we have degraded signals and disconnects regularly and they are so overloaded with calls they can't keep up. Those techs simply tell us that the infrastructure is old and needs replaced and no matter what they do it won't fix the problems. I may still pull the plug in the future if I can convince my wife because of the shows she watches are on like bravo etc but I would just be mindful that not all streaming experiences are the same.

25 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Youtube tv is a good option too but no History Channel or HGTV.  This guy had to have his Swamp People and Mountain Men.

I feel you. Outside of sports and news the only other channels I would want would be History, Discovery, Outdoorsman, and Sportsman Networks......my wife though has taste all over the board.

9 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Youtube tv is a good option too but no History Channel or HGTV.  This guy had to have his Swamp People and Mountain Men.

Hulu live tv has both the History Channel and HGTV.  Currently, for those looking for the Discovery channel.... the basic Hulu has a full compliment of all the Discovery shows, on demand.  Choosing both , the basic Hulu with Hulu live tv. would be less than $50.00/month.

I will say this.  Since subscribing to Hulu live tv, I have been getting notices of channel additions.  And would not be surprised if the Discovery Channel is moved from basic Hulu to Hulu live tv, in the future.

Hope this helps. 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived