The Death of Cable TV and PPV Sports Sites ?/ UnPlugged

Drroogh

So, I'm sitting on the deck interacting with my HSN friends and was thinking how great it is that I can go anywhere I have a cell signal and still be connected. Got me thinking about who or how people are going about getting unplugged. Myself, I live way out in the sticks and being on the end of a lame DSL line was barely getting 1mb/sec. (on a good day) Realizing that my LTE connections were much faster I switched over to a great seniors (over 55) plan that offers 2 lines of unlimited cell service. (Search around you'll find it, Hint it's not one of the top two) Even better, they don't throttle until you reach 50Gig's! That gives me 100 Gig's/month, more than enough to say Adios to DSL. Now I use one as a phone and my computer Hotspot (got the unlimited Hotspot adder), the other phone is essentially my entertainment center, so I can stream Netflix, Amazon Prime, Amazon Music and Sling. All for about $20 less than I was paying for my old 1 line of cell and DSL combined! Also, have pretty good over air connections to Radio and TV.

That's how I got unplugged, how about others? What stories do you have? What, suggestions do you have for those looking to unplug?

Seeking6 asked a very good question in the Carton thread, on the recruiting board, in terms of why would people be willing to pay for PPV sports sites, if they are not willing to pay for Cable TV any longer.

And rather than  hijack that thread (I started the discussion), any more than I already had, I decided to start this thread in "The Animal House."

Confession time.  I still have cable.  Finding it hard to cut the cable.  But I do have alternatives too.  Roku, Playstation Vue, Chromecast Ultra, Netflix, Hulu etc.  As I search for alternatives.  I did drop the Sports Entertainment Package from Comcast, the day they dropped the Big Ten Network.

Will be checking things out this summer, before and if I drop Comcast all together.

What about Hoosier Sports Nation ?  Where do you stand on Cable TV, and PPV sports sites ?

The Death of Cable: A Millennial Movement

I get why people have cable. It's their entertainment, plenty of shows to watch,etc...I resisted the cutthechord movement for over a year.

All I can say is I said good bye to cable 2+ years ago and haven't missed a step. Between the services Mile listed or just a good old fashioned library card...shoot even twitter is about as quick as it gets......I haven't missed a game, tv series,etc...and it's amazing how quickly you find out how to get everything for free. Download apps and cancel within 30 days. 

In terms of PPV sites. Never have never will. Sites like this have more credibility.

Cable to me is like the concept of not having a home phone around 2000. Seemed foreign to me. Now I'm shocked when someone does have a home phone. 

One small caveat. My sister lives in a small town in Illinois. They don't have tons of options so the local internet/cable/phone provider packages a deal where it's cheaper to have all 3 vs just 1. To me....that niche is huge. Finding a way to eliminate the small town companies who have been bilking their customers for decades because no other options.

I understand why people bundle their services, due to cost reasons, or like people in rural areas with no viable alternatives.

However, I have a neighbor who has bundled her internet, tv and phone services.  And when her service is interrupted, she loses everything

I have Xfinity which includes cable, internet and phone and it is expensive but I don't want to give up my cable because of sports.  I have a sports package and they have taken off ESPN Classic, PAC 10 network and some of the fox sport channel like Fox Sun from Florida.

Thanks to my wife, i still have a home phone. I never talk on it. The only people she talks to on it are her parents, or a telemarketer if she picks up to quick (caller ID). Whenever it rings i just hand it to her saying 'It's 1998 calling'.   

I admit i'm in my 50's and still love playing some video games. When my wife complains about my Xbox fees I call her on her cell to remind her of the wasteful home phone fee.  She doesn't listen but at least it makes me feel better.

Oh and, we pay DISH for every movie channel they have i think. (yes, i'm shaming myself)

I cut cable last year and went the streaming route.  What is great about streaming is no long term contract.  It's month to month.  You're not locked into 1 or 2 years.  So what I did to save this year was i switched to basic Sling TV as soon as basketball season ended.   That saves about $20 a month.  Then you switch back a streaming service with BTN in the Fall when football starts.

The streaming services are relatively cheap.  But the problem is expensive internet.  My spectrum bill for just internet is $80 a month.  Granted its fast and reliable but geez.   That is why bundling may still be a better option.   I'm moving in a couple weeks and have been crunching numbers to find the best deal in my market.  What I am finding is bundling is my best choice.  At least for the 1st year.  Because of course the rate goes up after 12 months.  Crazy.

Go Hoosiers!!!   

On 4/16/2018 at 11:55 AM, ColtsIUDomer said:

Thanks to my wife, i still have a home phone. I never talk on it. The only people she talks to on it are her parents, or a telemarketer if she picks up to quick (caller ID). Whenever it rings i just hand it to her saying 'It's 1998 calling'.   

I admit i'm in my 50's and still love playing some video games. When my wife complains about my Xbox fees I call her on her cell to remind her of the wasteful home phone fee.  She doesn't listen but at least it makes me feel better.

Oh and, we pay DISH for every movie channel they have i think. (yes, i'm shaming myself)

I'm in my 30's, and I still play video games (when I have time, which seems like never these days haha).  Video games aren't just for kids, and you shouldn't feel like they are!  In fact, in the last few years, video game sales are blowing the doors off movies.

For example, Far Cry 5 made $310 million in the FIRST WEEK.  Grand Theft Auto 5 made $1 billion in THREE DAYS.

1 hour ago, Indy1987 said:

I cut cable last year and went the streaming route.  What is great about streaming is no long term contract.  It's month to month.  You're not locked into 1 or 2 years.  So what I did to save this year was i switched to basic Sling TV as soon as basketball season ended.   That saves about $20 a month.  Then you switch back a streaming service with BTN in the Fall when football starts.

The streaming services are relatively cheap.  But the problem is expensive internet.  My spectrum bill for just internet is $80 a month.  Granted its fast and reliable but geez.   That is why bundling may still be a better option.   I'm moving in a couple weeks and have been crunching numbers to find the best deal in my market.  What I am finding is bundling is my best choice.  At least for the 1st year.  Because of course the rate goes up after 12 months.  Crazy.

Go Hoosiers!!!

Indy,

You might want to check out my solution in the wrongly titled "Unplugged" thread. That is if you're over 55. In fact Mile or sorry you're not a Mod( excuse me your excellency!):D, so Mod's might want to merge that thread here. :cheers:

9 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Sorry mile and drroogh....

I did merge them, but it looks convoluted. The 1st three posts in thos thread are now actually the posts from drroogh original thread.

I tried, hope it didn' jack up the flow. 

My entire reading experience was ruined.  Thanks Bluegrass.  

8 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Indy,

You might want to check out my solution in the wrongly titled "Unplugged" thread. That is if you're over 55. In fact Mile or sorry you're not a Mod( excuse me your excellency!):D, so Mod's might want to merge that thread here. :cheers:

Not there yet but getting close.  Good idea though.

Go Hoosiers!!!

12 hours ago, rogue3542 said:

I'm in my 30's, and I still play video games (when I have time, which seems like never these days haha).  Video games aren't just for kids, and you shouldn't feel like they are!  In fact, in the last few years, video game sales are blowing the doors off movies.

For example, Far Cry 5 made $310 million in the FIRST WEEK.  Grand Theft Auto 5 made $1 billion in THREE DAYS.

lol..FarCry5 is what I'm playing now! Fallout, Rainbow6, Assassins Creed, and of course Call of Duty(s)..My daughter bought a new nintendo with a bunch of old games on it. ohh,  the memories!  She was playing Donkey Kong, she made me watch saying it was payback for all the times i told her she had 'next' when she was little. 

Thanks, you make me feel better. I generally get a couple hours in a week, usually late night. 

My cord was cut for me when, after losing my job, I didn't pay them.  When I finally got back on my feet financially I gave the kids the option of cable TV OR high speed internet.  They didn't even think about it.  I have used a really nice digital antenna (that I made myself out of old coat hangers) to get reception for local stations since around 2006.  Roku has been our main streaming TV provider since around 2009, we get Netflix and Amazon Prime.

I do admit that I cheat and use my brothers DirecTV login to get Big 10 games, ESPN and FS1.

Archived