Fort Wayne

rico

I saw the discussion in the Romeo thread regarding "The Region" and Fort Wayne. Read it with interest.  Having grown up in Gary, I never considered NWI as a part of Chicago. Although I know some in Chicago considered East Chicago/Hammond/ Gary as suburbs of Chicago.  As this thread gains traction, and I am sure it will, I would like to come back for more discussions about my memories of growing up in Gary.  Let me say this for now.... I have very real, quality memories of growing up in Gary.

In terms of Fort Wayne.  I think the U.S.News did a good synopsis of what it is like to live there.  But, I think they did a disservice, not mentioning two of my favorite Fort Wayne iconic places to eat :

Powers Hamburgers

Fort Wayne’s Famous Coney Island 

They listed Austin, Texas as number one.  Though I might take exception to that, Austin, IMHO, certainly is on the top of my list in terms of cities in Texas.  Just love the place.

Number two is Living & Working in Colorado Springs, Colorado

Colorado Springs is special to me.  As I have lived there twice, since moving to Colorado in 1970.  I have always thought of it as three types of towns.... Military (Fort Carson ,Air Force Academy, Cheyenne Mountain Defense and more), College (Colorado College), and great tourist town.  With so many tourists attractions to list here.  Just to mention a Couple: Garden of the Gods, and Pikes Peak.

Number three is Living & Working in Denver, Colorado 

I have never lived in Denver proper, but talking about suburbs of Chicago.... I have lived in some of the Southern suburbs of Denver for many years.  For professional sports fans, there are all the major sport teams.... plus many minor sport professional teams as well.  Since moving to Denver, Denver has exploded with tons and tons of great restaurants.  When I first moved to the Denver area, one thing I liked to do was visit the opening of a new restaurant.  Now, that is impossible, as more new restaurants open up in just one month, and at times in a week, than I could ever get to visit.

And one last thing.  Denver being buried in snow is a misnomer.  Yes we get a big snowfall once in a great while.  But normally our winters are very mild. And it has been more than three years where I have had to use my snowblower.

Just to clarify my opinion...

I stated I would prefer to live in "The Region" over Fort Wayne, which I definitely would. Having said that, I don't think Fort Wayne is a bad place at all. I have been there a handful of times, so I don't know it well, however, my wife's sister is an orthodontist in Fort Wayne and has lived there for several years so we visit there once a year for their childrens birthday party. They seem to like it quite well and she is from Valparaiso.

Some of the reasons I personally enjoyed living in "The Region" are: 1) Lake Michigan. I love the beaches there and spending time there especially during summertime while I was in school. 2) Proximity to Chicago...It was super convenient to get to downtown Chicago, especially if you hop on the South Shore train to avoid driving in Chicago. 3) It has better restaurants/pizza than other places we have lived. 4) As someone mentioned in the other thread, that area of Indiana feels connected to both Chicago and Indiana. 5) Lake Effect snow make winters interesting!!

^^ Fritz.  Just in case you are not aware.... two restaurants, literally within walking distance of one of the Miller Beaches are :

For traditional thin crust pizza...... Flamingo Pizza Of Miller 

And on Lake Street for Chicago Style Deep Dish....Miller Pizza company....Home

Kitty Korner from Flamingo Pizza on Shelby street, and great for Lake Perch, and more.....The Beach Cafe

And back to Lake Street, for a really neat restaurant..... Miller Bakery Cafe

12 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

^^ Fritz.  Just in case you are not aware.... two restaurants, literally within walking distance of one of the Miller Beaches are :

For traditional thin crust pizza...... Flamingo Pizza Of Miller 

And on Lake Street for Chicago Style Deep Dish....Miller Pizza company....Home

Kitty Korner from Flamingo Pizza on Shelby street, and great for Lake Perch, and more.....The Beach Cafe

And back to Lake Street, for a really neat restaurant..... Miller Bakery Cafe

I've heard of Flamingo Pizza before but never tried it....yet!

There is a Miller Pizza by the Beach in MIchigan City, I wonder if they are connected at all?

I have been to Miller Bakery Cafe before and it was a nice place.

I will have to tell my brother about The Beach Cafe and the lake perch. My older brother was really into fishing off the pier in Michigan City when I was little and he LOVES lake perch. He complains all the time about not being able to get fresh lake perch in Indy!

Thanks for the tips Mile...I will check them out!

I really have no horse in that discussion.  I have traveled all around and lived all around.  I have lived in Griffith for a few....but that was back in the day.  Fort Wayne is 45 minutes away from me.  Great town.  But in Warsaw there is a Schoops.  Eat there once a week......does that make me a "Rat"?

9 minutes ago, rico said:

I really have no horse in that discussion.  I have traveled all around and lived all around.  I have lived in Griffith for a few....but that was back in the day.  Fort Wayne is 45 minutes away from me.  Great town.  But in Warsaw there is a Schoops.  Eat there once a week......does that make me a "Rat"?

"honorary rat?" ha. I have not had Schoops in many a year unfortunately.

1 hour ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I've heard of Flamingo Pizza before but never tried it....yet!

There is a Miller Pizza by the Beach in MIchigan City, I wonder if they are connected at all?

I have been to Miller Bakery Cafe before and it was a nice place.

I will have to tell my brother about The Beach Cafe and the lake perch. My older brother was really into fishing off the pier in Michigan City when I was little and he LOVES lake perch. He complains all the time about not being able to get fresh lake perch in Indy!

Thanks for the tips Mile...I will check them out!

Fritz.  A great restaurant that served great Lake Perch as well as Frog Legs, was in the Hammond/East Chicago area, sadly went out of Business after 97 years. Phil Schmidt....

After 97 years, legendary region restaurant closes 

Another place that serves Lake Perch, and has been in business for more than 80 years, in Sherillville....Teibel's Family Restaurant

Rico... Griffith is only five miles or so, from Teibel's . Any chance you ever ate there, when you lived in Griffith ?   They are also famous for their fried chicken.

Mile,

Have a story that ties Ft Wayne and Colorado together. My Mom was having surgery in Ft Wayne, so spent a couple days, found a local radio station and there was a DJ couple on. They had recently moved from Colorado Springs and were talking about all the people asking them why they would give up the beautiful Rockies for Ft Wayne, IN? There answer was simple, you can breath the air here and your neighbors don't eat you. (Wolves, Bears, Mountain Lions)

13 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Mile,

Have a story that ties Ft Wayne and Colorado together. My Mom was having surgery in Ft Wayne, so spent a couple days, found a local radio station and there was a DJ couple on. They had recently moved from Colorado Springs and were talking about all the people asking them why they would give up the beautiful Rockies for Ft Wayne, IN? There answer was simple, you can breath the air here and your neighbors don't eat you. (Wolves, Bears, Mountain Lions)

Funny story.  Thanks very sharing.  And very true.  All though confrontations between humans and animals, generally happens in the Mountains. Rather than in the cities along the front range. Bears are coming out of hibernation now, and will be searching for food. Generally Mountain Lions are just as afraid of humans, as we are of them. Should you come across a Mountain Lion.... never, never run.  Stand still and make yourself as tall as possible, and they will just turn and walk away. Elk generally won't involve themselves with a human, just give them space.  Moose are a different story.  Moose are not afraid of humans.  I have come across Moose in the mountains, and have learned to just give them a healthy amount of space. So many other animals.  Just have to learn them and how to react to them.

Now.... we do get the occasional bear in the cities along the front range.  Especially beginning this time of year.  Normally they are looking for food, and not a human confrontation.  Over the years I have had bear in trees close to my houses.  If the bears don't leave on their own, the game wardens, will tranquilize, tag, and take them back to the mountains.  If that tagged bear returns to the city, it will be euthanized. 

I live within walking distance of the Cherry Creek State Park.  So I get visitors, from the park from time to time.  Owls... had one in my fireplace, once, till I put a cap on the fireplace.  Haven't had any deer. But it is not unusual to sight many deer at our church, which is even closer to Cherry Creek State Park than me.

Biggest problem...the last couple of years. Have been coyote in my back yard. Come in at night.  Killed two of my neighbors little dogs.  Attacked my little dog, but my Rhodesian Ridgeback drove the coyote off before doing any damage. When Mollie died. We got a German Shepherd to protect our little dog.  Our little dog does not go out at night, unless our big dog is with her.

Bear steals Restaurant Dumpster in Colorado Springs 

Thanks for directing me to this thread, Mile. Talking about food -yay! Lol

My husband lived in Griffith as well. Great thing about Schoops is also the Green River soda :)  You can find it in other places, but it’s not easy. I’ve found it in Indy, near IMS.  Mr. Stoller loves the perch at Teibel’s, also. Eons ago I went to Phil Schmidt’s with my future in-laws and remember them eating frog legs. 

9 minutes ago, MrsStoller said:

Thanks for directing me to this thread, Mile. Talking about food -yay! Lol

My husband lived in Griffith as well. Great thing about Schoops is also the Green River soda :)  You can find it in other places, but it’s not easy. I’ve found it in Indy, near IMS.  Mr. Stoller loves the perch at Teibel’s, also. Eons ago I went to Phil Schmidt’s with my future in-laws and remember them eating frog legs. 

You are welcome. So glad you found this great thread started by Rico.  I have hopes that this thread turns into a great thread for reminiscing  and for sharing wonderful Hoosier Memories. Not just NWI.

See, what I mean ?  Your husband and Rico both lived in Griffith at one time.   And that is wild about going to Phil Schmidt's with your future in-laws.  It was always a special shared occasion when my extended family would have a great dinner at Schmidt's.  I recall one time there were so many of us, that they pushed table after table next to each other.... all with white table clothes.  We must have had over 20 relatives there that night.  I was very young... but still recall that night to this day.  My problem was what to eat ?  Lake Perch or Frog Legs.  We ordered enough of each... so there was plenty for everyone to share, and choose what they liked most. LOL.

Born and raised in Ft Wayne. Lived in other places for almost 20 years, then moved back to the Fort in 1995. My address says I live in Angola now, but closer to, and vote in the metropolitan Orland area, population 434 as of the last census 😀

I work in FW and I can proudly say that the city is trying to stand on it's own as the hub of NE Indiana. Millions of dollars are being invested to make the city a destination city for millennials. Downtown is being re-gentrified. Lots to be excited about.

FW isn't perfect,but if I was starting a family again, I could think of a lot worse places to do so than the Fort

6 hours ago, milehiiu said:

You are welcome. So glad you found this great thread started by Rico.  I have hopes that this thread turns into a great thread for reminiscing  and for sharing wonderful Hoosier Memories. Not just NWI.

See, what I mean ?  Your husband and Rico both lived in Griffith at one time.   And that is wild about going to Phil Schmidt's with your future in-laws.  It was always a special shared occasion when my extended family would have a great dinner at Schmidt's.  I recall one time there were so many of us, that they pushed table after table next to each other.... all with white table clothes.  We must have had over 20 relatives there that night.  I was very young... but still recall that night to this day.  My problem was what to eat ?  Lake Perch or Frog Legs.  We ordered enough of each... so there was plenty for everyone to share, and choose what they liked most. LOL.

That’s a great story, Mile. I’ll pass it along to Mr. Stoller. I’m pretty sure I didn’t have the frog legs, not being from the region, 😂:) 

37 minutes ago, rico said:

The thing I miss most about the Region is the Chicago dogs.  I am getting hungry just thinking about them.  

Though there are a couple of places close to my house, here in Colorado... that do a great job with Chicago Dogs,  in order to have them at home,I have ordered the condiments from : Hot Dog Condiments | Vienna Beef

And since none of the grocery stores, here, sell poppy seed buns, I order my poppy seed buns from : S.Rosen's Mary Ann Poppy Seed Hot Dog Bun

Just in case you were not aware.

You can tell, I share my love of a Chicago Dog with you.   :cheers:

19 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Though there are a couple of places close to my house, here in Colorado... that do a great job with Chicago Dogs,  in order to have them at home,I have ordered the condiments from : Hot Dog Condiments | Vienna Beef

And since none of the grocery stores, here, sell poppy seed buns, I order my poppy seed buns from : S.Rosen's Mary Ann Poppy Seed Hot Dog Bun

Just in case you were not aware.

You can tell, I share my love of a Chicago Dog with you.   :cheers:

Damn, I love those things.  They are slow but sure making their way over my way.

11 hours ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Born and raised in Ft Wayne. Lived in other places for almost 20 years, then moved back to the Fort in 1995. My address says I live in Angola now, but closer to, and vote in the metropolitan Orland area, population 434 as of the last census 😀

I work in FW and I can proudly say that the city is trying to stand on it's own as the hub of NE Indiana. Millions of dollars are being invested to make the city a destination city for millennials. Downtown is being re-gentrified. Lots to be excited about.

FW isn't perfect,but if I was starting a family again, I could think of a lot worse places to do so than the Fort

Orland?  One of my favorite spots in the state.  I love Wall Lake.

This is funny, glad I found this thread.  I think I kicked this whole debate off.. Had a couple of beers the other night and decided to stir things up by taking a shot at Da Region.  All in good fun of course, as I’m a Fort Wayne native who just recently moved to Chicago.  Just couldn’t resist, haha.

Fort Wayne was a great place to grow up.  It’s a nice town with good schools and good people, and the cost of living is phenomenal.  Like Jerry said, they’re also putting a lot of money into the downtown area, and there is a lot more to do there now than there was 5-10 years ago.  Good time to be a Fort Wayne resident.

That being said, I moved away because I wanted the experience of living in a bigger city.  I’ve lived in Chicago for about a year now, and I’m loving it.  It’s the best city in the Midwest in my opinion.

2 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

This is funny, glad I found this thread.  I think I kicked this whole debate off.. Had a couple of beers the other night and decided to stir things up by taking a shot at Da Region.  All in good fun of course, as I’m a Fort Wayne native who just recently moved to Chicago.  Just couldn’t resist, haha.

Fort Wayne was a great place to grow up.  It’s a nice town with good schools and good people, and the cost of living is phenomenal.  Like Jerry said, they’re also putting a lot of money into the downtown area, and there is a lot more to do there now than there was 5-10 years ago.  Good time to be a Fort Wayne resident.

That being said, I moved away because I wanted the experience of living in a bigger city.  I’ve lived in Chicago for about a year now, and I’m loving it.  It’s the best city in the Midwest in my opinion.

My travels have taken me to a vast number of cities.  Chicago would not be in my top 20.

21 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

What are the cities, you like most ? 

Well i don't know if could completely rank them but my list would be something like this....

Fort Wayne

Indy

Knoxville

Nashville

Cincy

Lexington

Louisville

Miami

Tampa

Des Moines

Minniapolis

Ann Arbor

Lansing

St. Louis

Tulsa

Little Rock

Atlanta

Charolette

New Orleans

Richmond VA

Pittsburgh

Cedar Rapids

Baton Rouge

Toledo

Just too name a few..............

^^ Nice list Rico. Though I would replace Springfield, Missouri with St. Louis.  Just not a fan of St. Louis... outside of their St.Louis Style pizza.  I know, for me, it has something to do with how people consider what a Hoosier is.  Springfield is cool. Surrounded by many great fishing lakes, which I know you would enjoy.  Also is home to and has the largest Bass Pro Shop and Museum in the Country.  Went there one morning , just to check it out... and spent the entire day there. 

Outside of the continental U.S.... cities that I have enjoyed are Anchorage, Juneau and Ketchikan in Alaska.  In Hawaii :  Lahania, and Maui.

And just outside of the U.S., on the West Coast, is Vancouver, which is just a beautiful city... filled with ton's of great restaurants.  The view as the sun goes down over the bay is magnificent.

45 minutes ago, rico said:

Well i don't know if could completely rank them but my list would be something like this....

Fort Wayne

Indy

Knoxville

Nashville

Cincy

Lexington

Louisville

Miami

Tampa

Des Moines

Minniapolis

Ann Arbor

Lansing

St. Louis

Tulsa

Little Rock

Atlanta

Charolette

New Orleans

Richmond VA

Pittsburgh

Cedar Rapids

Baton Rouge

Toledo

Just too name a few..............

Lol, your taste in cities is highly questionable.

Archived