Fort Wayne

rico

So is this about Fort Wayne, NWI, or Chicago? :D

Every time I hear "My Hometown" by Bruce Springsteen, I think of Gary.  It used to be one of the best and brightest cities in Indiana, and once the industry largely left, it fell on very tough times.  My grandparents lived in Gary, albeit on the outskirts more towards Griffith.

Chicago is really a world class city.  There are so many unique neighborhoods it's nearly impossible to really experience it in one or two visits.  I think a lot of people visit Chicago, see Millenium Park and the Mag Mile but don't really get out of that area or downtown.  Pilsen, Ukrainian Village, Lakeview, Gold Coast: there are so many of these cities within cities, and they all have their own distinct vibe.

9 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

So is this about Fort Wayne, NWI, or Chicago? :D

Every time I hear "My Hometown" by Bruce Springsteen, I think of Gary.  It used to be one of the best and brightest cities in Indiana, and once the industry largely left, it fell on very tough times.  My grandparents lived in Gary, albeit on the outskirts more towards Griffith.

Chicago is really a world class city.  There are so many unique neighborhoods it's nearly impossible to really experience it in one or two visits.  I think a lot of people visit Chicago, see Millenium Park and the Mag Mile but don't really get out of that area or downtown.  Pilsen, Ukrainian Village, Lakeview, Gold Coast: there are so many of these cities within cities, and they all have their own distinct vibe.

I really think this is true of almost any city, American or otherwise! There are places to visit in order to experience the incredible culture of the city and people, and there are places you definitely don't want to go! People around the world are wonderful people no matter where you go! People are People, it's just our cultures that are different, and that does not make things bad!

I have painstakingly (sic) compiled a list of cities, towns or villages in America, that begin with Fort.  I cannot vouch for it's accuracy, nor completeness.  Feel free to add any you know of, that I may have missed.  Keeping in mind, these are cities, towns or villages that begin with Fort, and not actual military installations. 

Fort Ann, New York

Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin

Fort Collins, Colorado

Fort Dodge, Iowa

Fort Hunt, Virginia

Fort Lee,  New Jersey

Fort Lupton, Colorado

Fort Morgan, Colorado

Fort Meyers, Florida

Fort Meyers Beach, Florida

Fort Pierce, Florida

Fort Stockton, Texas

Fort Valley, Georgia

Fort Walton Beach, Florida

Fort Worth, Texas

And, last but certainly, not least. And what started this great thread in the first place.  A place that one image of a sign, I found that  I can't place it here, due to copyrights,and called it : "The Most Beautiful City in America."

webster_rd_nb_at_us-024_wb.jpg

#FortWayne named best place to live in Indiana, #6 in the USA among cities our size, #40 overall, and #2 best affordable place to live in the USA... and we're just getting started!

16 hours ago, milehiiu said:

^^ Nice list Rico. Though I would replace Springfield, Missouri with St. Louis.  Just not a fan of St. Louis... outside of their St.Louis Style pizza.  I know, for me, it has something to do with how people consider what a Hoosier is.  Springfield is cool. Surrounded by many great fishing lakes, which I know you would enjoy.  Also is home to and has the largest Bass Pro Shop and Museum in the Country.  Went there one morning , just to check it out... and spent the entire day there. 

Outside of the continental U.S.... cities that I have enjoyed are Anchorage, Juneau and Ketchikan in Alaska.  In Hawaii :  Lahania, and Maui.

And just outside of the U.S., on the West Coast, is Vancouver, which is just a beautiful city... filled with ton's of great restaurants.  The view as the sun goes down over the bay is magnificent.

Been to Missouri quite often and have fished there.  Beautiful state.  I love KC for food!!!!!!

7 minutes ago, rico said:

Been to Missouri quite often and have fished there.  Beautiful state.  I love KC for food!!!!!!

It really is. If you ever get back, plan a trip to the Bass Pro, in Springfield. As I said, different than any other.  I know you would enjoy it.  In fact any other member reading this thread, who is into hunting, fishing, camping or the outdoors, I know would enjoy it as well.   And no... this is not a paid advertisement !   LOL

7 hours ago, milehiiu said:

It really is. If you ever get back, plan a trip to the Bass Pro, in Springfield. As I said, different than any other.  I know you would enjoy it.  In fact any other member reading this thread, who is into hunting, fishing, camping or the outdoors, I know would enjoy it as well.   And no... this is not a paid advertisement !   LOL

Yeah, I have been to the BP there.  Simply awesome.  Have spent a bunch time in the Ozarks.

37 minutes ago, rico said:

Yeah, I have been to the BP there.  Simply awesome.  Have spent a bunch time in the Ozarks.

Neat.  Ever been to.....Lambert's Cafe - The Only Home of Throwed Rolls 

Fun place.  And they actually throw the rolls.  One other thing.  Not on the menu. But they don't object.  If you ask for seconds, thirds, or more of what you are having as a main course, including steaks, they will keep bringing it out, until you  them to stop.  Sometimes you will get a wait person who asks if you want seconds or more... most times you just have to ask... and there are no objections. 

Not directly dealing with Ft Wayne/Chicago but.....Just found this thread and interesting some of the places being talked about. I grew up in Howe (so close to Angola/Orland). I went to college in Winona Lake and live in Rochester (so close to Warsaw). After first wedding I moved to Aurora, Colorado (so Denver). Miss it back "home" and out west.  

Don't get to Fort Wayne as much as I used to since we moved. Always liked it. 

I grew up in Ft Wayne and my parents still live around there so I visit regularly. 

In the last 5-10 years, the city has changed a lot. There are a lot of breweries and new restaurants. It's turning into a pretty cool place. 

Plus you can't beat Coney Island. 

On 4/16/2018 at 7:59 AM, milehiiu said:

I have painstakingly (sic) compiled a list of cities, towns or villages in America, that begin with Fort.  I cannot vouch for it's accuracy, nor completeness.  Feel free to add any you know of, that I may have missed.  Keeping in mind, these are cities, towns or villages that begin with Fort, and not actual military installations. 

Fort Ann, New York

Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin

Fort Collins, Colorado

Fort Dodge, Iowa

Fort Hunt, Virginia

Fort Lee,  New Jersey

Fort Lupton, Colorado

Fort Morgan, Colorado

Fort Meyers, Florida

Fort Meyers Beach, Florida

Fort Pierce, Florida

Fort Stockton, Texas

Fort Valley, Georgia

Fort Walton Beach, Florida

Fort Worth, Texas

And, last but certainly, not least. And what started this great thread in the first place.  A place that one image of a sign, I found that  I can't place it here, due to copyrights,and called it : "The Most Beautiful City in America."

webster_rd_nb_at_us-024_wb.jpg

Does Fortville, IN warrant being added to list? A one-word town, not two, but does technically start with “Fort”. :)

9 minutes ago, MrsStoller said:

Does Fortville, IN warrant being added to list? A one-word town, not two, but does technically start with “Fort”. :)

Of course, it should be added to the list.  Gotta admit, that is a new one on me.  Never had heard of Fortville, Indiana.  So I had to check Wiki. 

Fortville, Indiana

Originally was named Walpole, Indiana.

Which.... now leads me to search for other cities in Indiana that have changed their names.  Like Lake Station.  Original name was Lake Station. Changed their name to East Gary, when Gary was booming. And later changed back to Lake Station in order not to be associated with Gary.

Lake Station, Indiana 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Of course, it should be added to the list.  Gotta admit, that is a new one on me.  Never had heard of Fortville, Indiana.  So I had to check Wiki. 

Fortville, Indiana

Originally was named Walpole, Indiana.

Which.... now leads me to search for other cities in Indiana that have changed their names.  Like Lake Station.  Original name was Lake Station. Changed their name to East Gary, when Gary was booming. And later changed back to Lake Station in order not to be associated with Gary.

Lake Station, Indiana 

You can't talk about Fortville without mentioning the elephant. 

https://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/461

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, MrsStoller said:

My gosh, has it been over a year since this thread was started??  😂  BUT - I remembered Powers Hamburgers from it, and today I finally made it to this fantastic place!!  Thanks for the tip!

Fantastic.  Just remember.  Eat them there. Never in your car. LOL

5 hours ago, MrsStoller said:

My gosh, has it been over a year since this thread was started??  😂  BUT - I remembered Powers Hamburgers from it, and today I finally made it to this fantastic place!!  Thanks for the tip!

Glad to hear that.  Great eats.

Archived