Pacers vs Cavs Series

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Candystripe said:

Thanks to the Pacers for the wakeup call. When the Cavs try, the Cavs win. The King showed that he is better by himself than the Pacers are altogether. If the Pacers win another game, I would be disappointed. Go Cavs and Go Hoosiers! 

Your gonna be disappointed then because the pacers will win another game.. might win the series! I have the cavs in 7 tho. 

Oladipo’s early foul trouble was obviously the difference... NBA can’t afford for any LeBron lead team to get swept in the first round. 

And WHOA, Candystripe... take it easy man. This thread nearly doubled since I posted last, two hours ago!

The players of this era have more access to accommodate their game than those in previous eras. Could you imagine MJ, Bird, Magic, Zeke, Bill Russell, Wilt, Barkley etc. having access to twelve different coaches, trainers, nutritionists etc.? I mean, of course the majority of today’s players are faster and some even stronger(though strength is debatable). But the fundamentals and IQ are down tenfold in today’s game.

I’ll end in saying this... there is absolutely no question that the Pacers can win this series. You have to be a complete, bias homer to say otherwise. I’d even argue that the Pacers have the better team. The Cavs cannot and will not beat the Pacers unless LeBron plays 40+ minutes and scores 35+ points per night. JR Smith, Love and Hill aren’t better than any of the Pacers starters and half of their bench. Those are facts. Enjoy your night fellas!

8 hours ago, Candystripe said:

False- it's too bad Indianapolis will never see a talent the level of LeBron. I'm just trying to think of which poorly-reasoned "argument" to attack, but it may not be worth the time.

We have seen that level of talent. Talents like that require a lot of luck, which Cleveland had in getting LeBron and the Colts had in Manning. 

You've made a lot of illogical posts, but knocking a city because of the talent of a superstar is perhaps the dumbest. I guess Cleveland's only other claim to fame is that Detroit can say "at least we aren't Cleveland."

10 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

You've made a lot of illogical posts, but knocking a city because of the talent of a superstar is perhaps the dumbest. I guess Cleveland's only other claim to fame is that Detroit can say "at least we aren't Cleveland."

It is an especially silly comment since Lebron is likely going to leave Cleveland again at the end of the season. 

Guess I watched a different game. Besides the 1st quarter Pacers won this game in every facet. If I were a Cavs fan...not necessarily the response I was looking for after being depantsed by a team that wasn't projected to win 37 games this year.

As a Pacers fan...I actually am feeling better now. Thought game 1 was a just a blowout. Seeing how close Pacers played game 2 after being down big early? Can't wait for Friday night.

9 hours ago, Candystripe said:

Thanks to the Pacers for the wakeup call. When the Cavs try, the Cavs win. The King showed that he is better by himself than the Pacers are altogether. If the Pacers win another game, I would be disappointed. Go Cavs and Go Hoosiers! 

Don't get to cocky because it took a great game by Labron to win by 3 points.  Labron might be the best player on the court but the Pacers are the better TEAM

Jordan played against cupcakes in the finals every season in a less-talented era with a superior supporting cast. Should we consider Robert Horry greater than Jordan if we are only comparing rings? 

The NBA was far better back when Jodan Played and today's NBA is way to soft.  Players today don't have to worry about getting their heads knock off going to the basket like they did back then. If players like Jordan or Wilkens played today they would average 35 points a game easily.

Michael Jordan wouldn't have won a single game against the modern Warriors- the best teams are better now, even if the worst teams are horrible. The degree of difficulty is not close. 

The Warriors would have been lucky to finish in the top 4 in the NBA back in the 80's and 90's.  They are not as good as the Lakers, Celtics or the Bulls of that era.

Another thing there is no way that foul By Sabonis on Lebron should have been a flagerant foul.  All he was trying to do is stop Labron from getting the shot up and was trying to hurt him.  McHale closed lined Rambis and was called for a foul and no tech or anything and today if you barely touch someone it is a flagerant foul.  I saw way harder fouls playing pick up ball with my friends in the day than what we see today in the NBA.

*than. Do you teach first grade or are you being taught in first grade? I'll call that a night. I hope some of you decide to attend IU someday, there is education that can desperately help you.

Ahhh.. attacking someone's grammar, on a message board, that posted from their phone at 11pm. Gotcha. Lol

I'm an IU grad btw. 

I honestly didn't realize there were actually "Cavs fans".. just thought LBJ fan boys. Besides LBJs stats there is nothing historic about the Cavs. 

8 hours ago, Danomatic said:

Oladipo’s early foul trouble was obviously the difference... NBA can’t afford for any LeBron lead team to get swept in the first round. 

And WHOA, Candystripe... take it easy man. This thread nearly doubled since I posted last, two hours ago!

The players of this era have more access to accommodate their game than those in previous eras. Could you imagine MJ, Bird, Magic, Zeke, Bill Russell, Wilt, Barkley etc. having access to twelve different coaches, trainers, nutritionists etc.? I mean, of course the majority of today’s players are faster and some even stronger(though strength is debatable). But the fundamentals and IQ are down tenfold in today’s game.

I’ll end in saying this... there is absolutely no question that the Pacers can win this series. You have to be a complete, bias homer to say otherwise. I’d even argue that the Pacers have the better team. The Cavs cannot and will not beat the Pacers unless LeBron plays 40+ minutes and scores 35+ points per night. JR Smith, Love and Hill aren’t better than any of the Pacers starters and half of their bench. Those are facts. Enjoy your night fellas!

To add to the 90's vs today debate, there have been rules changes that have had a huge impact on the way the game is played. Hand checking slowed Jordan down and isn't allowed today. That, along with other changes, were made to speed games up and add offense, which has made the game more popular and improved the action on the court, IMO. Jordan playing in today's game would be unstoppable. I say that as someone who despised him as a kid because I just wanted someone else, anyone else, to win.

42 minutes ago, Cottage Grove said:

To add to the 90's vs today debate, there have been rules changes that have had a huge impact on the way the game is played. Hand checking slowed Jordan down and isn't allowed today. That, along with other changes, were made to speed games up and add offense, which has made the game more popular and improved the action on the court, IMO. Jordan playing in today's game would be unstoppable. I say that as someone who despised him as a kid because I just wanted someone else, anyone else, to win.

Glad to see you post again. I think it was you who gave the right click incognito tip....anyway thank you very much and frugal nature thanks you too. 

11 hours ago, Candystripe said:

LeBron outscored your entire team in the first quarter, then the Cavs went on cruise control. 

It was a single digit game by the second quarter before the terrible call on Vic. 

11 hours ago, Candystripe said:

Oladipo should have had four fouls in the first half. The refs kept the Pacers in the game. LeBron gets fouled every drive. The Pacers should celebrate for making the playoffs- it's a big accomplishment for them. 

Two of his three fouls weren't even fouls and the charge looked questionable. I'll gladly swap the one missed call for 2 or 3 against him. 

LBJ probably does get fouled more than they call, but he also gets away with a lot of offensive fouls. 

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Glad to see you post again. I think it was you who gave the right click incognito tip....anyway thank you very much and frugal nature thanks you too. 

That was me! It's the only way I'll read the Star. 

I've been around - always more of a lurker than a poster, but I've followed the group ever since the Scout days. It can be tough when you lurk more than post. You have to look for clues when the group is moving on!

1 hour ago, Cottage Grove said:

Absolutely. There's no question that the freedom today's guards get would make stopping guys like MJ and I Thomas, and frankly Reggie, impossible. It's always a losing battle to try to compare different eras because players are faster and stronger (yes, they are stronger, the weight training/fitness/diets/etc. have players stronger today) and the rules are different, but there's really no question that today's rules have freed up the guards to allow higher scoring and a faster pace, as that's what the fans generally want, and that would certainly have allowed guys like MJ to thrive even more (and I would LOVE to see Reggie in today's game).

My only comment on all of the above back and forth on the series -- the P's got what they realistically should have hoped for, a split and stolen home court advantage with one really impressive W on the road and a close L that required LBJ to go all out to get it. I am sure they are feeling good about their chances now, and they should, they're playing great ball, the series is tied, and they're headed home.

47 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Absolutely. There's no question that the freedom today's guards get would make stopping guys like MJ and I Thomas, and frankly Reggie, impossible. It's always a losing battle to try to compare different eras because players are faster and stronger (yes, they are stronger, the weight training/fitness/diets/etc. have players stronger today) and the rules are different, but there's really no question that today's rules have freed up the guards to allow higher scoring and a faster pace, as that's what the fans generally want, and that would certainly have allowed guys like MJ to thrive even more (and I would LOVE to see Reggie in today's game).

I just compared the 86-87 season to last years season and the scoring was higher in 86-87 than last year.  Seeing this I don't think your assessment about the pace and scoring is better today.

86-87

Average points per game 109.9

FT% 76

FG% 48%

3PT% 31

Average 3PT attempt a game 7

No teams average less than 100

Highest team scoring average 118 points

16-17

Average points per game 105.6

FT% 77%

FG% 45%

3PT% 35%

Average 3PT attempt per game 27

1 team average less than 100

Highest team scoring average 115 points

The only difference is that teams depends on the the 3 a lot more today than they did in the past and still score less per game

27 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I just compared the 86-87 season to last years season and the scoring was higher in 86-87 than last year.  Seeing this I don't think your assessment about the pace and scoring is better today.

86-87

Average points per game 109.9

FT% 76

FG% 48%

3PT% 31

Average 3PT attempt a game 7

No teams average less than 100

Highest team scoring average 118 points

16-17

Average points per game 105.6

FT% 77%

FG% 45%

3PT% 35%

Average 3PT attempt per game 27

1 team average less than 100

Highest team scoring average 115 points

The only difference is that teams depends on the the 3 a lot more today than they did in the past and still score less per game

The pace is for sure better now. None of your numbers indicate anything to do with pace. 

16 minutes ago, btownqb said:

The pace is for sure better now. None of your numbers indicate anything to do with pace. 

I think you are thinking more from the 90's with the Knicks and Pistons than the 80's where the pace was very fast.  I don't know if you watched the NBA from then but it was a free flowing and an up tempo league at that time with teams like the show time Lakers.

Archived