Pacers vs Cavs Series

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Then why was there very, very little balance across the country?.. think mid majors man. 

Playing devil's advocate here, the top teams were those who had great players staying 3-4 years under the best coaches.  Goerge Mason and Loyola likely do not make the final four decades ago.  Freshmen led teams don't seem to often have that veteran grit, leadership and determination junior and senior led teams have.  Even the fab five in one of their FF runs needed a veteran lift from an upperclassman in Voskul (sp) to get there.

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Then why was there very, very little balance across the country?.. think mid majors man. 

You mean teams like Cleveland St and Richmond you had huge upsets in the tournament in the 80's. There wee quite a few 16 seeds who had near upsets like Princeton, W. Carolina and E/ Tennessee St. and UW Green Bay.

28 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You mean teams like Cleveland St and Richmond you had huge upsets in the tournament in the 80's. There wee quite a few 16 seeds who had near upsets like Princeton, W. Carolina and E/ Tennessee St. and UW Green Bay.

There's more upsets now. And there was a 16 beat a 1 this year. More good teams, more balance... idc if the top teams aren't as good. The best two pro sports, from an overall stand point: NHL and NFL.. why? They have the most balance. 

I've seen like 3 hockey games in my life, but the balance is what drives leagues. MLB is ok.. NBA sucks in that aspect imo, no balance recently.  

13 hours ago, btownqb said:

There's more upsets now. And there was a 16 beat a 1 this year. More good teams, more balance... idc if the top teams aren't as good. The best two pro sports, from an overall stand point: NHL and NFL.. why? They have the most balance. 

I've seen like 3 hockey games in my life, but the balance is whblyat drives leagues. MLB is ok.. NBA sucks in that aspect imo, no balance recently.  

To me today the top teams are a lot weaker than they use to and the bottom teams are probably better than they use to be.

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

So we agree then... way more balance. 

Yes we do but to me it doesn't mean the product is better, just more even.  I just look at the quality of play and what we see on the floor and it is not close to what it was in the 80's and 90's in college basketball.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Yes we do but to me it doesn't mean the product is better, just more even.  I just look at the quality of play and what we see on the floor and it is not close to what it was in the 80's and 90's in college basketball.

I care about good games. Not what UCONN women and UCLA men did. 

1 minute ago, cybergates said:

Huge game tonight. Winner of Game 3 when series is tied wins 77% of the time (couldn't find a current stat so this is from article back in 2012 so not sure what the more recent/accurate % is). 

I’d definitely go with the majority.

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

meh... it's between games 

LOL..........but let me take a stab at this NBA discussion and the college game.   As I grew up in the 70's.

A lot has changed with the NBA through the years.  To be honest it was horrid to watch in the 70's.  Magic and Bird changed that along with Dr. J, Dominique Wilkens, and some others.  The two biggest things about the rules that I can think of are the 3-pt line was further back in the 80's and the way the draft is handled.  But I could be mistaken.

Now to the college game.....IIRC the 3-pointer din't come about to '87.  Add to it the shot clock in the college game being used.  Kids today are used to playing that way now.  And step right into the NBA somewhat accustomed to it.

Add to it that HS kids now have a 3-point line.

Just my random thoughts.

1 hour ago, rico said:

LOL..........but let me take a stab at this NBA discussion and the college game.   As I grew up in the 70's.

A lot has changed with the NBA through the years.  To be honest it was horrid to watch in the 70's.  Magic and Bird changed that along with Dr. J, Dominique Wilkens, and some others.  The two biggest things about the rules that I can think of are the 3-pt line was further back in the 80's and the way the draft is handled.  But I could be mistaken.

Now to the college game.....IIRC the 3-pointer din't come about to '87.  Add to it the shot clock in the college game being used.  Kids today are used to playing that way now.  And step right into the NBA somewhat accustomed to it.

Add to it that HS kids now have a 3-point line.

Just my random thoughts.

I’d love to see it implemented at the high school level, but some of the traditionalists may not. Just imagine if Jimmy Chitwood couldn’t hold for the last shot? Perhaps there wouldn’t be a movie that we’ve all grown to love! 🤔

10 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

I’d love to see it implemented at the high school level, but some of the traditionalists may not. Just imagine if Jimmy Chitwood couldn’t hold for the last shot? Perhaps there wouldn’t be a movie that we’ve all grown to love! 🤔

LOL........well I don't think the NBA had any influence on Indiana HS ball when Milan won it.  But yeah, I would like them to try a shot clock now.  

Just now, JerseyHoosier said:

Looks like tonight ref crew is getting paid per/foul call, which makes for the worst basketball possible. 

It could works to the Pacers advantage if they attack the lane like they usually do, depending no who the fouls go on of course. Free throws could be a huge factor in this one.

33 minutes ago, JerseyHoosier said:

It could works to the Pacers advantage if they attack the lane like they usually do, depending no who the fouls go on of course. Free throws could be a huge factor in this one.

Right now the Cavs are the team attacking more. 

Just now, KoB2011 said:

Right now the Cavs are the team attacking more. 

Yep.....Cavs doing a nice job working the ball and finding shots near the rim instead of settling for outside shots, like they have been all series. Vic needs to attack the lane before the trap comes. He's not asserting himself enough at all offensively. WAY too passive to start this game and allowing the Cavs to make him pass. 

Archived