IU Baseball

Just now, 5fouls said:

That's unbelievable.  It's not like IU is a crappy job.  Your future at IU can be just as bright as your future at Mississippi State.

Missisippi State is one of the elite blue blood baseball programs. The renovations they've done to Dudy Noble Stadium are top notch. IU is a great program with a lot to offer, but it's not State.

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Kendal22 said:

Missisippi State is one of the elite blue blood baseball programs. The renovations they've done to Dudy Noble Stadium are top notch. IU is a great program with a lot to offer, but it's not State.

I know Mississippi State is 'blue blood'.  I also know that Mississippi State plays in an outrageously difficult conference.  If you are an elite coach, the path to Omaha is just as possible at Iu than it is at Mississippi State.  

Going to a 'blue blood' hasn't really worked out for Tracy Smith.

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

I know Mississippi State is 'blue blood'.  I also know that Mississippi State plays in an outrageously difficult conference.  If you are an elite coach, the path to Omaha is just as possible at Iu than it is at Mississippi State.  

It's much easier to build a strong RPI playing in the SEC. Strong RPI means more hosting opportunities in the post season.

Yes, Tracy Smith has really struggled so far!

Meggs at Washington (Former ISU coach) could be an interesting possibility. Although,  I don't know if he'd be interested in leaving the PAC 12.

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

It's honestly not though. Look at how many SEC teams are national seeds and in Omaha every year. Iu has been once.. before that was in the 80s. 

We should get someone solid though. 

Lol read a post saying whining and saying they hope we won't hire an assistant from somewhere... I have NEVER understood that idea in sports. Where exactly do these people think coaches come from? There isnt some school coaches go to and they have to major in assistant coaching or head coaching... everyone is an assistant at some point. Smh

No shame in losing guys to Arizona St and Miss St. Those are baseball schools that I'm sure are paying a tad more. I don't know the college baseball world as well. One name though that keeps popping up when I search is Eric Snider from Louisville. Knows the area. Great recruiter by all accounts. Maybe he should be on our short list?

Edit-he has a son on Louisville team. Soph this past season. Probably not an option. Can't see him leaving his son behind.

37 minutes ago, btownqb said:

One thing: as a program.. this looks very good on us. I realize Tracy Smith has struggled at ASU, but to send back to back coaches to MSU and ASU says a lot on where we are as a program.

Agree, it does look good for IU. But, it also reinforces the idea that we are a stepping stone program for coaches looking to continue moving up. 

Don't know if this is a prestige issue , a pay issue, or a combination of both. If $$ is a major part of this, then time for Glass to pony up.Either that, or we will continue to be a revolving door for coaches looking for greener pastures.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

No shame in losing guys to Arizona St and Miss St. Those are baseball schools that I'm sure are paying a tad more. I don't know the college baseball world as well. One name though that keeps popping up when I search is Eric Snider from Louisville. Knows the area. Great recruiter by all accounts. Maybe he should be on our short list?

Edit-he has a son on Louisville team. Soph this past season. Probably not an option. Can't see him leaving his son behind.

Theres precedent for this happening though. 

26 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Agree, it does look good for IU. But, it also reinforces the idea that we are a stepping stone program for coaches looking to continue moving up. 

Don't know if this is a prestige issue , a pay issue, or a combination of both. If $$ is a major part of this, then time for Glass to pony up.Either that, or we will continue to be a revolving door for coaches looking for greener pastures.

Would you say the same thing to butlers AD in basketball coaching regards? Honestly there is no difference. The big east in basketball is even better overall then the big ten in baseball. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Would you say the same thing to butlers AD in basketball coaching regards? Honestly there is no difference. The big east in basketball is even better overall then the big ten in baseball. 

Yep, similar....and for that matter, I would say that the IU football program also has the same reputation. I think Allen may be the exception and he will stick around. 

57 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Yep, similar....and for that matter, I would say that the IU football program also has the same reputation. I think Allen may be the exception and he will stick around. 

What I mean is... it might not be as simple as matching them for money. Now Indiana has some serious fertile recruiting grounds baseball wise but it isn't the south and neither are our facilities. Have you seen Mississippi States stadium?  It's unbelievable. 

I don't necessarily agree that this looks good for IU baseball.  It appears to me people look at this job as a stepping stone and not a destination job.  I guess it is good that other teams wants our coach because we are doing well but to keep losing coaches does not look good to me. 

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't necessarily agree that this looks good for IU baseball.  It appears to me people look at this job as a stepping stone and not a destination job.  I guess it is good that other teams wants our coach because we are doing well but to keep losing coaches does not look good to me. 

You have to do well first for other programs to want our coaches. Look at Xaviers basketbal program. Matta, Miller and Mack. We can't change that we're a northern team or the conference we play in. 

Just now, btownqb said:

You have to do well first for other programs to want our coaches. Look at Xaviers basketbal program. Matta, Miller and Mack. We can't change that we're a northern team or the conference we play in. 

Couldn't say it any better. Have to be realistic as it relates to IU and baseball. Hopefully we'll find out Hep or potentially our Allen.....but our baseball program is one of the best if not the best in the Big 10 over the last decade with 2 new head coaches. That will be appealing to someone who says you know what...I want to retire there. 

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I would just think that a power 5 conference team from the big ten could and should keep their coaches.

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Couldn't say it any better. Have to be realistic as it relates to IU and baseball. Hopefully we'll find out Hep or potentially our Allen.....but our baseball program is one of the best if not the best in the Big 10 over the last decade with 2 new head coaches. That will be appealing to someone who says you know what...I want to retire there. 

We should be a VERY attractive job opening... ESPECIALLY with what we have coming back, coming in, and have committed. No Northern team or many southern teams for that matter can match us in that regard. 

36 minutes ago, btownqb said:

What I mean is... it might not be as simple as matching them for money. Now Indiana has some serious fertile recruiting grounds baseball wise but it isn't the south and neither are our facilities. Have you seen Mississippi States stadium?  It's unbelievable. 

Not to mention, fans of Miss. St. literally tailgate before the game.  Tailgating before a 3 hour plus baseball game?  Completely crazy and have hosted the 10 largest college baseball games to be played on a campus.  They are a essentially a minor league baseball team that outdraws many real ones.  We can't be upset losing a coach to this school.  I am just surprised that it happened. 

Nobody really thought we would lose Lemonis to Miss. St., but to the school Miss. St. pulled their coach from.  This stinks, but I think with what we are putting into our baseball program, we can insert another coach and not miss a step because of the conference we are in.  Not many school in the B1G are as invested as we are, although that does seem to be changing.

7 minutes ago, IUALUM03 said:

Not to mention, fans of Miss. St. literally tailgate before the game.  Tailgating before a 3 hour plus baseball game?  Completely crazy and have hosted the 10 largest college baseball games to be played on a campus.  They are a essentially a minor league baseball team that outdraws many real ones.  We can't be upset losing a coach to this school.  I am just surprised that it happened. 

Nobody really thought we would lose Lemonis to Miss. St., but to the school Miss. St. pulled their coach from.  This stinks, but I think with what we are putting into our baseball program, we can insert another coach and not miss a step because of the conference we are in.  Not many school in the B1G are as invested as we are, although that does seem to be changing.

To be fair.. I have tailgated with ppl before our games lol but with way less ppl

Archived