IU Baseball

I never realized how big college baseball is in the south until I met my wife.  She is originally from Baton Rouge and is an LSU alum. I spent a couple of weeks down there visiting her and her parents the summer we got engaged. It was during the CWS and LSU won it that year.  I figured out quickly they cared more about their baseball team than their basketball team. Talk about culture shock.  I can't blame a guy for heading down south to coach. Hopefully we continue to build into a place coaches want to stay long term. 

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I never realized how big college baseball is in the south until I met my wife.  She is originally from Baton Rouge and is an LSU alum. I spent a couple of weeks down there visiting her and her parents the summer we got engaged. It was during the CWS and LSU won it that year.  I figured out quickly they cared more about their baseball team than their basketball team. Talk about culture shock.  I can't blame a guy for heading down south to coach. Hopefully we continue to build into a place coaches want to stay long term. 

Oh it's not even close... baseball is way bigger than basketball. Especially at the HS level. 

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Wright St coach 

Cinci coach 

Ben Greenspan 

Coaches I've seen mentioned 

Wright State has long been an excellent program. That would be a great hire. 

If you go the experienced coach route, you'd have to look at USI's Tracy Archuletta. He's been to the Division II World Series 3 or 4 times, winning it twice. He knows the area from a recruiting standpoint and has built a power in the Midwest.

36 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Power 5 doesn't apply in baseball, at all. 

I don't blame the coach just saying is does not make our program look good by losing another coach.  We have great facilities and a great campus so we should be able to keep coaches here since we are in the big ten.  It would be like Archie going to Duke or UNC in the next couple of years since those program are way ahead of us right now.  The fans still would not like it and say it makes our program look good.

Just now, IU Scott said:

I don't blame the coach just saying is does not make our program look good by losing another coach.  We have great facilities and a great campus so we should be able to keep coaches here since we are in the big ten.  It would be like Archie going to Duke or UNC in the next couple of years since those program are way ahead of us right now.  The fans still would not like it and say it makes our program look good.

The Big Ten doesn't hold much weight in baseball overall. The conference is behind the SEC, ACC, PAC 12, Big 12, Big West, and probably some of the smaller Southern Conferences.

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Oh it's not even close... baseball is way bigger than basketball. Especially at the HS level. 

Yep. My in laws relocated last October to here in Indiana. They still religiously follow the football and baseball teams. Over the years of being in the family though, I've got them following IU basketball. 

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

No it wouldn't Scott. We are like Butler basketball. It's not even close to the comparison you brought up. 

Just please admit when you're flat out wrong. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

No it wouldn't Scott. We are like Butler basketball. It's not even close to the comparison you brought up. 

Just please admit when you're flat out wrong. 

You can have your opinion just like I can have mine and I just don't see how losing another coach looks good for the program.  Until 10 or so years ago Oregon St. was not a power hose baseball program and they have been able to maintain this success and coach.  It is not like Oregon has great weather throughout the year but they can still attract great players.

4 minutes ago, Kendal22 said:

The Big Ten doesn't hold much weight in baseball overall. The conference is behind the SEC, ACC, PAC 12, Big 12, Big West, and probably some of the smaller Southern Conferences.

Oh its absolutely behind the Sun Belt Conference 

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You can have your opinion just like I can have mine and I just don't see how losing another coach looks good for the program.  Until 10 or so years ago Oregon St. was not a power hose baseball program and they have been able to maintain this success and coach.  It is not like Oregon has great weather throughout the year but they can still attract great players.

It's not an opinion lol the big ten is not looked at  in baseball as a power 5 conference. Oregon St plays in the pac 12... HUGEEEEE difference than the Big Ten. You are right you have an opinion.. it's just incredibly misinformed. 

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

It's not an opinion lol the big ten is not looked at  in baseball as a power 5 conference. Oregon St plays in the pac 12... HUGEEEEE difference than the Big Ten. You are right you have an opinion.. it's just incredibly misinformed. 

Man you can be arrogant can't you.  I couldn't care less what you think and I will not change my opinion that it does not look good for IU baseball to keep losing coaches.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Man you can be arrogant can't you.  I couldn't care less what you think and I will not change my opinion that it does not look good for IU baseball to keep losing coaches.

So you will not change your opinion when you're flat out wrong.. got it. And of course you try and make it personal, as usual. 

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

So you will not change your opinion when you're flat out wrong.. got it. And of course you try and make it personal, as usual. 

How am I wrong if it is my opinion that it  does not look good for the program which I don't think it does look good..  Only thing that can have a right or wrong answer is if it is from facts but when someone has an opinion on something like that there is no right or wrong answer.

46 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

How am I wrong if it is my opinion that it  does not look good for the program which I don't think it does look good..  Only thing that can have a right or wrong answer is if it is from facts but when someone has an opinion on something like that there is no right or wrong answer.

Opinions can be "wrong" if they are nearly unanimously opposed/uninformed/ludicrous. For example, if I say in my opinion Tim Priller is greatest IU basketball player of all-time, would I be wrong?

41 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Opinions can be "wrong" if they are nearly unanimously opposed/uninformed/ludicrous. For example, if I say in my opinion Tim Priller is greatest IU basketball player of all-time, would I be wrong?

All depends upon what the definition of "IS", is.    LOL  Thankyou President Clinton, for a statement that will go down in history. 

The following is NOT a political comment.  Just a moment in time of U.S. History :

Bill Clinton: "It depends upon what the meaning of the word is... is." - 

On 6/25/2018 at 2:24 PM, milehiiu said:

All depends upon what the definition of "IS", is.    LOL  Thankyou President Clinton, for a statement that will go down in history. 

The following is NOT a political comment.  Just a moment in time of U.S. History :

Bill Clinton: "It depends upon what the meaning of the word is... is." - 

Or what the definition of "facts",  are  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_facts Also not a political comment, but just a moment in time. 

44 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I asked earlier, what is Joe Girardi doing ?  Sounds like he is getting the itch to get back into baseball. Albeit on a major league level.

Personally I feel it would not hurt for Mr. Glass to place a call.

Ex-Yankees manager Joe Girardi 'would listen to anything' to get back in the dugout 

Joe ain't stepping down to the college ranks.

Archived