IU Baseball

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Kendal22 said:

I'd expect to see either Mitchell Kilkenny or John Doxakis Friday night for A&M. Kilkenny went 6 innings Saturday against Ole Miss while Doxakis took a no-hitter into the 8th against Auburn Thursday night.

Kilkenny is a righty with mid-90s fastball with a very good slider. Doxakis comes from the left side with a low 90's fastball and a wipe-out slider. Either would be a tough task for Ole Miss.

Bullpens names to know would include Cason Sherrod. Sherrod is very similar to Kilkenny as a righty who can get up to 95-96. Veteran guy with a good breaking ball as well. Kaylor Chafin is a key reliever from the left side. Will also get it into the 90s and is capable of going several innings as he has a few starts on the year.

The closer is Nolan Hoffman. Hoffman is a submarine arm that can also run it into the 90s with heavy sink. The guy is a big-time character who talks to himself the whole time while on the mound. Look him up, it's entertaining.

Thanks for information and input. I think it was 2 Saturdays ago I caught a part of A&M game and thought the Hoffman guy was talking to himself. Had to google just to make sure I wasn't seeing things.

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Congrats to Hoosiers for making tourney. That's 5 of 6 right? Curious to know how that stands up to other teams in league. Should be about 105 in Austin. Start hydrating now guys! Haha..

Since 2009 we have thr most regional appearances, wins, and conference wins. Before 2009 we've had ZERO success.. kind of why I'm perfectly content with Lemonis(at least for the next 4 years). It's simply hard to sustain success and he has. 

We got beat Friday night.. but we didn't play bad at all. 

Barr has to start on Friday at least.. Stiever was good in his last start on Wednesday. We still haven't lost back to back games all year when Stiever and Milto have started. 

I'm ready. 

36 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Thanks for information and input. I think it was 2 Saturdays ago I caught a part of A&M game and thought the Hoffman guy was talking to himself. Had to google just to make sure I wasn't seeing things.

No problem.

Stephen Kolek is the third starter generally for A&M, but didn't pitch in Hoover at the SEC tournament. Could potentially be an arm coach Rob Childress could turn to out of the bullpen if he elects to hold Chafin for a start in an elimination game. Chafin held Vanderbilt to just one run in the opening game of the SEC tournament.  

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Since 2009 we have thr most regional appearances, wins, and conference wins. Before 2009 we've had ZERO success.. kind of why I'm perfectly content with Lemonis(at least for the next 4 years). It's simply hard to sustain success and he has. 

We got beat Friday night.. but we didn't play bad at all. 

Barr has to start on Friday at least.. Stiever was good in his last start on Wednesday. We still haven't lost back to back games all year when Stiever and Milto have started. 

I'm ready. 

Currently the best program in the BIG. 

37 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

I'd definitely agree. IU is at the top with Minnesota, Illinois, OSU, and Michigan traditionally close behind. Purdue looks like they want to join that group as well. 

The B1G has really invested in baseball in recent years.

53 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

No question the best program in the B1G. 

Nebraska is in the conversation with those others though. 

Honestly.. 1 or 2 things shake out the right way next year we could be at least as good as this year. 

I know we'll have the best outfield at minimum. If Fineman comes back we have the best catcher.. that's a great start. 

37 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Oh I think Boiler would take issue with that...but I read somewhere that his brain might be a little lighter than average.:nansplit:

I wouldn’t. IU has been solid for a decade. I think Purdue can get to that level but it’ll take time and us being able to keep Coach Waz. I’m just happy with making the tournament this year. It’s a good start. 

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Honestly.. 1 or 2 things shake out the right way next year we could be at least as good as this year. 

I know we'll have the best outfield at minimum. If Fineman comes back we have the best catcher.. that's a great start. 

Best catcher? I’d argue Dalesandro is a better all-around catcher than Fineman. But there’s no guarantee Dalesandro comes back. 

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Maryland probably belongs in the discussion too. But they've fallen off since leaving the ACC.

16 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Best catcher? I’d argue Dalesandro is a better all-around catcher than Fineman. But there’s no guarantee Dalesandro comes back. 

He hits for a better average... as far as I know Fineman threw out more runners and hit 5 more HRs. Argue what you want 

Offensively, Texas A&M is not as strong 1-9 in the order as they traditionally are. However, A&M does field a pretty solid lineup. The overall team average is .284 entering regional play.  Middle infielders Michael Helman and Braden Shewmake are a handful in the 2 and 3 spots in the lineup. Helman, the Aggie second baseman, led the SEC in hitting at a shade over .360.  Shewmake, the shortstop, checks in at .329. Logan Foster and Chris Andristos provide a little pop following Helman and Shewmake in the lineup. Each Aggie starter except one has a home run on the season. 

A&M isn't a prolific base stealing team, but is very efficient when doing so. Helman and Shewmake have swiped 12 bags each.

IU will have to play well, but this is a winable game in my opinion.

He hits for a better average... as far as I know Fineman threw out more runners and hit 5 more HRs. Argue what you want 

I couldn’t find the stat for Fineman for throwing out runners but Dalesandro threw out 22 guys. 

Dalesandro was better in average, runs scored, hits, doubles, walks, K’s, stolen bases (26 to 2), average, OBP, and OPS. I think they’re both solid but I like Dalesandro more as an overall catcher than Fineman. 

58 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I couldn’t find the stat for Fineman for throwing out runners but Dalesandro threw out 22 guys. 

Dalesandro was better in average, runs scored, hits, doubles, walks, K’s, stolen bases (26 to 2), average, OBP, and OPS. I think they’re both solid but I like Dalesandro more as an overall catcher than Fineman. 

Obviously he's better in hits because of his avg. He bats second and fineman bats 4th or lower so it doesn't surprise me he has more runs scored. He's 5% points better in OBP.. I'd like to see that number if Fineman was batting 2nd. 

Fineman has thrown out like mid to upper 30s. 

I think when you talk about just being a catcher, you take Fineman. I bet Dalesandro could play RF, 3rd, and 1st... if that makes him better overall I guess? 

But as a catcher I'm taking Fineman.. I'd take them both on my team though. 

Obviously he's better in hits because of his avg. He bats second and fineman bats 4th or lower so it doesn't surprise me he has more runs scored. He's 5% points better in OBP.. I'd like to see that number if Fineman was batting 2nd. 

Fineman has thrown out like mid to upper 30s. 

I think when you talk about just being a catcher, you take Fineman. I bet Dalesandro could play RF, 3rd, and 1st... if that makes him better overall I guess? 

But as a catcher I'm taking Fineman.. I'd take them both on my team though. 

Fair. They’re both really solid players but agree re Dalesandro’s versatility. He played C this year but played OF last year a decent amount. 

Archived