IU Baseball

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Massive game tonight

Saalfrank with the start... I like this decision, really wish we could have had Herrin though. 

Andrew has a 3.63 ERA in 17.1 innings pitched, but in his last 10.2 innings he has a .98ERA, their starter has a mid 5s ERA, but does have experience. 

Did some checking around for incoming guys for next year (we could lose Kaletha, Fineman, Miller, Lloyd, Stiever, and Milto) 

We have 3 JUCO guys coming in- 2 pitchers and an OF 

One of the pitchers has a 2.08ERA in 65IP this year and 95 SO's. The other has a 2.78ERA in 32.1IP this year.

The outfielder is batting a .361 with a .447 OBP and 38RBIs in 46 games. 

Fwiw worth I think Kaletha and Fineman are back. I think Lloyd will be gone, same with Miller. Stiever imo is gone, I think Milto stays. 

13 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

btown, you mentioned Sloan's son pitches...as stacked as that staff appears to be, does he get much run?

He's thrown 9.1 innings this season (RS FR he transferred from UVA) and has a 2.89ERA... his last two outings he has been beat up, but was good until that point. 

He'll have an opportunity to be a regular arm out of the bullpen next season because we are losing 3 arms out of there, possibly 4. 

5 hours ago, btownqb said:

He's thrown 9.1 innings this season (RS FR he transferred from UVA) and has a 2.89ERA... his last two outings he has been beat up, but was good until that point. 

He'll have an opportunity to be a regular arm out of the bullpen next season because we are losing 3 arms out of there, possibly 4. 

Thanks for all your info on baseball squad! What's our recruiting class look like for next year? Too 25? Do they have that for baseball? 

1 hour ago, 5 championships said:

Thanks for all your info on baseball squad! What's our recruiting class look like for next year? Too 25? Do they have that for baseball? 

They do. Ours is 40ish.. but the 3 jucos don't count. 

12 hours ago, 5 championships said:

You should go to some games if possible. Great atmosphere. 

Glad you're here to talk some baseball. 

12 hours ago, 5 championships said:

You should go to some games if possible. Great atmosphere. 

Glad you're here to talk some baseball

7 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

I wanted to go to the UK game but I've been sick as a dog for about 6 weeks! Who host the BIG tourney this year? I'd love for that to be at IU again. 

Omaha. Most years they will play it there since they get to play at TD Ameritrade 

Last nights game was so wildly disappointing. I understand losing, but you cannot lose games because of the reasons we did. 

I love this FR class though.

In the field- Ashley, Walker have been very good. Barr and Dunham have contributed. Not big on Crail, but again just a FR. 

Pitching wise- Sommer looks like he could be a dominate pitcher. He shut UK down last night and has thrown 23.2 innings with a 2.28ERA. Guys like Conor Manous 3.00ERA in 24innings (could be a midweek starter next year) and Grant Sloan 9.1 innings with a 2.89ERA have done some nice things, as well. 

Eaton and Long each had 5 appearances (which maybe is the most you can have before you RS??) not sure. But anyway, they pitched well combined for 12.1 innings giving up 1 earned run. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Last nights game was so wildly disappointing. I understand losing, but you cannot lose games because of the reasons we did. 

I love this FR class though.

In the field- Ashley, Walker have been very good. Barr and Dunham have contributed. Not big on Crail, but again just a FR. 

Pitching wise- Sommer looks like he could be a dominate pitcher. He shut UK down last night and has thrown 23.2 innings with a 2.28ERA. Guys like Conor Manous 3.00ERA in 24innings (could be a midweek starter next year) and Grant Sloan 9.1 innings with a 2.89ERA have done some nice things, as well. 

Eaton and Long each had 5 appearances (which maybe is the most you can have before you RS??) not sure. But anyway, they pitched well combined for 12.1 innings giving up 1 earned run. 

Aside from the base running errors I couldn't believe my eyes with the two bunting fails and lack of discipline at the plate. These guys swing at EVERYTHING. Houston's 3rd at bat was so awful it was almost embarrassing. I don't know if this is because of the coaching staff or the kids on the team but they lack fundamentals. You can't leave 10+ runners on base and expect to beat an offensive juggernaut like Kentucky. I will say there seems to be a ton of talent on this team. They just need to wake up a bit and focus on little things it takes to win....oh and if a kid can't bunt, don't ask him to with a runner in scoring position and no outs. Just my take.

16 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

Aside from the base running errors I couldn't believe my eyes with the two bunting fails and lack of discipline at the plate. These guys swing at EVERYTHING. Houston's 3rd at bat was so awful it was almost embarrassing. I don't know if this is because of the coaching staff or the kids on the team but they lack fundamentals. You can't leave 10+ runners on base and expect to beat an offensive juggernaut like Kentucky. I will say there seems to be a ton of talent on this team. They just need to wake up a bit and focus on little things it takes to win....oh and if a kid can't bunt, don't ask him to with a runner in scoring position and no outs. Just my take.

That is the baseball in 2018 where you swing for the fences and don't worry about striking out.

18 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

Fineman can bunt though, just didn't execute. I saw the game just as you did last night though. Jeremy had an awful at bat, horrible. The two baserunning mistakes were ridiculous. 

4 hours ago, Hoosier82 said:

This is what happens to a team when it's in a deep slump. Everyone wants to be the guy who hits a six-run homer and collectively snaps the whole team out of it. This team has talent, but I think the damage is done. We aren't winning the Big Ten, and we've probably blown our chance to host a regional. I don't see us winning the Big Ten tourney either because for whatever reason we just don't seem to do well against our conference peers.

15 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

This is what happens to a team when it's in a deep slump. Everyone wants to be the guy who hits a six-run homer and collectively snaps the whole team out of it. This team has talent, but I think the damage is done. We aren't winning the Big Ten, and we've probably blown our chance to host a regional. I don't see us winning the Big Ten tourney either because for whatever reason we just don't seem to do well against our conference peers.

Fair points.. we do have the most pitching depth in the conference to be able to win out though. Our bats just are not consistent at all. 

Meant to say win the tourney. You b have to have serious depth to win the BTT. 

Archived