Trey Porter

Of the 3 or 4 potential grad transfers that have been mentioned, Porter is the one that has intrigued me the most.  An experienced 6'-10 player would fill a hole we don't have a known solution to.  I was a little concerned that he was close to a lock for Maryland, but with our staff having visited recently we may well still be in it.

I don’t see Davis starting next year.  There’s a chance he won’t even be ready to go by the beginning of the season, and I just don’t see him being very effective after the injury.  An Achilles injury is about the worst injury a big man can have, and he wasn’t very athletic or explosive before that.

I would think he'd start. He's far more athletic so should be much better suited for the defensive rotations and potential switches. Admittedly I don't know what his mid-range game is like, but I'll guess by the fact that he only took 1 3pt attempt last season that he doesn't shoot much, which is the only real detraction for me. If Morgan is going to be operating in the paint then I prefer he be at the 5, or at least have a 5 that can shoot if Morgan is at the 4. 

44 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I would think he'd start. He's far more athletic so should be much better suited for the defensive rotations and potential switches. Admittedly I don't know what his mid-range game is like, but I'll guess by the fact that he only took 1 3pt attempt last season that he doesn't shoot much, which is the only real detraction for me. If Morgan is going to be operating in the paint then I prefer he be at the 5, or at least have a 5 that can shoot if Morgan is at the 4. 

Agree with the last part... BUT if he can just be a guy offensively who can work in the pick and roll and grab Orebs, he would at least work much better then Davis does with Morgan. 

32 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Agree with the last part... BUT if he can just be a guy offensively who can work in the pick and roll and grab Orebs, he would at least work much better then Davis does with Morgan. 

Agree. To me this would mean Smith coming off the bench at the 4 though. I guess where I come from on this is Porter seems like a great get and he's definitely more accomplished at this point, but I really like Smith and think he could make a leap next season, but I don't want a lineup of Smith-Morgan-Another big. Just not enough shooting and skill for my taste. So to me, it kind of blocks Smith's projection. 

I just don't see Archie going that big, unless the wing (Smith) was a more athletic sort of true wing. I could be completely wrong though.  

12 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree. To me this would mean Smith coming off the bench at the 4 though. I guess where I come from on this is Porter seems like a great get and he's definitely more accomplished at this point, but I really like Smith and think he could make a leap next season, but I don't want a lineup of Smith-Morgan-Another big. Just not enough shooting and skill for my taste. So to me, it kind of blocks Smith's projection. 

I just don't see Archie going that big, unless the wing (Smith) was a more athletic sort of true wing. I could be completely wrong though.  

We're on the same page. Agreed. 

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I would guess that means Maryland is pretty confident that Fernando is not staying in the draft. I believe he declared but didn't hire an agent. Or, Porter just thinks Nevada is better. 

Would still love to get involved with a shooter grad transfer...

1 minute ago, ephul said:

Would still love to get involved with a shooter grad transfer...

Absolutely! Assuming Langford comes, the only thing I'm still worried about with this team is consistent 3-pt shooting. 

Green is a streaky shooter, Durham is below average, McRoberts hardly shoots at all, Morgan is below average from deep, Smith is average, and I don't really know what to expect from guys like Phinisee, Hunter and Anderson. 

I'd feel so much better if there was a Zeisloft type spot-up 3pt shooter on the roster. because between Green's penetrating, Langford and Morgan we will be able to collapse defenses. 

Archived