Forrester

Fundamentals

Just now, dbmhoosier said:

Red shirt still counts against the limit.  We can't sign both Romeo and Garland without a transfer. 

Oh.  I know.  But, if we sign both Romeo and Garland, the transfer will occur from the guard ranks, not the frontcourt.  In that scenario, I can't see any of the six (Langford, Garland, Green, Jones, Durham, Phinisee) being happy about being the last man in the guard rotation.  There are no Priller 'happy to be here' types in that group.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Durham wouldn't surprise me.  Cujo can play.  I'd hate to lose him.

Cujo's performance this year may very well influence Romeo's decision (assuming he waits until spring as he has indicated).  If Cujo has a breakout year, then it could be his position to lose.  If he struggles, and Romeo signs with IU, then Cujo will face a decision

The more I think about it, the more this makes sense.  Forrester is probably the best big man prospect we could hope to land in the 2018 class at this point, and this signing will balance out the class nicely.  Hopefully we end up with 2 bigs (Forrester and Thompson), 2 wings (Hunter and Anderson), and two guards (Phinisee and Langford).  Then we just have to land a true 5 in the 2019 class.  And if both Langford and Garland want to commit, I'm sure Archie will make room.

I'm imagining one of the older guys on here sitting next to his wife, enjoying a peaceful night on the newly minted Hoosiersportsnation 3.0, hitting play on a Jake Forrester video to check out the new commit, and being bamboozled by the accompanying song.  I can't stop laughing at the thought of this scenario playing out. 

In all seriousness though, I love the pickup.  I think he'll be a big contributor down the line and adds depth to the front court which we've lacked for quite a while.  We are going to finally have length like UNC, UK, KU, and Duke, and I think we get Romeo to round out 2018.  What a class that would be.  Archie just seems to have much more of a plan than that other guy.  It's so nice to see some preparation and planning for the future.  Keep it up Arch

I'm imagining one of the older guys on here sitting next to his wife, enjoying a peaceful night on the newly minted Hoosiersportsnation 3.0, hitting play on a Jake Forrester video to check out the new commit, and being bamboozled by the accompanying song.  I can't stop laughing at the thought of this scenario playing out. 

In all seriousness though, I love the pickup.  I think he'll be a big contributor down the line and adds depth to the front court which we've lacked for quite a while.  We are going to finally have length like UNC, UK, KU, and Duke, and I think we get Romeo to round out 2018.  What a class that would be.  Archie just seems to have much more of a plan than that other guy.  It's so nice to see some preparation and planning for the future.  Keep it up Arch

3 hours ago, Reacher said:

I did see here- http://www.insidethehall.com/2017/09/11/q-jake-forresters-father-dwight-discusses-sons-iu-commitment/ where Jake is listed as a solid 6'10". As long as he has the strength to defend the 5, it looks like he will be a good fit for the Archie system. 

He is not a 5. Stretch 4. Pick and pop kid. Shoots and makes the 3.

1 hour ago, Bowhunter said:

I like him ! His potential is there. I'm confused though already having Race , Smith and Moore for the future. 

I think they all can provide some unique skills to the team.  Look at top programs- this is how they're built.  Tons of length, guys that play multiple positions, and can shoot it as well.  I have zero problem with this.

4 hours ago, hoosier10 said:

I think they all can provide some unique skills to the team.  Look at top programs- this is how they're built.  Tons of length, guys that play multiple positions, and can shoot it as well.  I have zero problem with this.

the old 1 thur 5 positions in basketball is over. You have guards, wings and bigs and you better be able to run the floor and guard guys bigger and smaller than you.

8 hours ago, Indykev said:

He is not a 5. Stretch 4. Pick and pop kid. Shoots and makes the 3.

I know. After Davis and Morgan leave, who will we have to defend the team that still has a 6'11" 240lb center? 

Moore is too skinny at this point. 

My point was that we will eventually need Jake to defend these guys. 

I think he will be able to and then be a mismatch on offense. 

14 hours ago, 5fouls said:

There are other possibilities

• Davis planning on going pro
  • Morgan contemplating a grad transfer
  • Plans to redshirt one of the developing bigs

Neither of the first two are supported by anything at this point. Morgan is graduating (19), that's another spot, have not heard anything about an intent to play a grad year. I tend to think it's more that the coaching staff has a better feel for JF then the casual fan following rankings. He seems to have a lot of upside. Interested to see how he develops.

This from the Star:

"In Forrester, IU is adding yet another versatile wing player, one who can occupy the three and four positions in college. 

Wing depth has been a clear priority throughout Miller's work in the 2018 class. Forrester, Hunter and Anderson all play at the wing or forward positions in some capacity, although they bring different profiles to college — Anderson, a streaky, high-scoring 3-point shooter, Forrester, an athletic wing with a nose for rebounds at both ends, and Hunter, who could develop into a positionally diverse talent at both ends of the floor. 

Miller's emphasis on recruiting at those positions is understandable. Indiana already lost OG Anunoby to the NBA last spring, with Collin Hartman and Freddie McSwain headed to graduation after the upcoming season. 

Juwan Morgan is scheduled to graduate in 2019, meaning the Hoosiers need to begin reloading now, and Miller has done that thoroughly in his 2018 class. 

Attention, at least locally, will now turn south to New Albany, and five-star guard Romeo Langford. One of the most coveted players in the rising senior class at any position, Langford recently included IU in his final seven schools and is expected to visit for Hoosier Hysteria.

Landing a commitment from him would be an emphatic close to a recruiting class already considered to be one of the best in the country in 2018. IU's class is currently considered the No. 3 overall group in the country per 247Sports, and No. 2 by Scout."

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2017/09/11/pennsylvania-forward-jake-forrester-picks-iu/655764001/

I was watching one of Jake's highlight vids. Just watching him run and move reminds me a lot of Jared Jeffries. JJ had a light bouncy gate to him with long strides and Jake's movement is similar. No, I'm not saying Jake is as good as JJ but, boy, that would be nice to have a junior/senior Jake bring similar qualities as a freshman/soph JJ. Their motors seem to be similar as well.

"I expect Forrester to spend time playing the four and the five when he gets to IU."

http://www.indianasportscoverage.com/jake-forrester-commits-indiana/

"Forrester, a 6-foot-10.... fundamentally sound post presence who could develop into a rim protector for an IU program that needs post depth for the coming years."

https://www.hoosiersportsreport.com/2017/09/indiana-adds-3-star-forward-jake-forrester/

Looks like a solid pickup here.  I am a little concerned about the room for both Langford and Garland but I am sure CAM knows what he is doing.  At this point I think both of these will be spring commits no matter where they attend.  By that time we may have some more clarity to what our roster looks like. 

bird in the hand is better that no bird at all or something like that xD.

Archived