Virginia Postgame

SpiderMonkey

Hats off to IU on a TEAM win.

Ramsey is no Tre Roberson,but he showed a lot of patience and balance in his approach.Very mature performance from him.He made several very nice  reads and waited for plays to develop..I dig seeing poise out of Freshmen QB's(whether true Fr or RS),and I hope this is the beginning of the end for Lagow as starter! Ramsey's performance will turn a few heads,but he should still fly just under the radar until he really goes off for huge numbers.I like where they stand looking on from 1-1 and two Power 5 opponents behind them.

The running game got the nice boost from Ramsey and although @125 - 130 yards total rushing for the team isn't super impressive,the late 2nd half Ellison carries got just enough yards to help eat clock. IU also played a turnover free 2nd half, so for the game they didn't do anything to really beat themselves when the offense stalled somewhat.

The defense made some bone headed mistakes,looked lost several times early on in both halves, but in fairness the penalties were called very inconsistently..IU got flagged for the same types of contact Virginia got by with when they went physical on IU's WRs.I also wish  IU defenders would focus just a slight bit better and stop dropping so many would be INTs. I'm sure Allen will remind them his defense is predicated upon take aways and how they could have had at least 3(2 picks and a FR on that dropped snap)more with better awareness..Still they did well despite this and the suspect targeting ejection of Gooch.That was a gift TD for Virginia,not so much earned.The D-Line made some good lanes for the LBs and although IU didn't have a ton of sacks UVA's QB appeared to hurry many of his 50+ throws..

The emphasis Allen placed upon improved special teams play really showed today. Oakes looked like the All-B1G kicker we know he can once again become.They got some decent punting out of Whitehead other than that high short one out of the endzone ,and the Harris PR TD capped a solid day for him returning punts for IU

On a side note I think IU somewhat exposed Ohio State's pass D,and Mayfield with that Sooner talent around him took advantage of several things Lagow could not, throwing the ball.If you saw both games ,you saw how he picked on the same spots Lagow did ,but much more effectively.It helped that OU could sustain the run game.As for IU in their next match ups , I expect them to crush FIU ,and get a tougher than expected out from Ga. So. in two weeks. JMOs here, you all have a great weekend.

A few thoughts:

1. Jblaz, you're one of my favorite posters, but I didn't understand your Tre Roberson comment.  I liked Tre but I think Peyton Ramsey can be considerably, considerably better.  Maybe Tre is a more explosive runner, but overall I think Peyton has a chance to be much better. 

2.  The offensive line is still sad.  Littlejohn should not be playing.  He doesn't have it. Crider is undersized because of his youth, but I see a kid who can be a big tune player. You see it immediately when he comes on.  Wes Martin was much better as I saw IU run behind him. Stepaniak is young, so he has a chance, but he's a real liability out there right now.  When Stepaniak and Littlejohn are out there together, it's a bloodbath.  I guess I'd look at Brandon Knight at guard and let Stepaniak develop in the weight room and on the scout team.  Baker is a swing backup tackle so it's hard to get too down on him, but he's showing he's depth not a starter.  I think Caleb Jones may end up being a big time player, be I'd be curious to see him.  Perhaps they are looking into redshirting him.  Overall, this unit needs to pick it up.  If you replace Crider and Brandon Knight for Littlejohn and Stepaniak, I'd predict we make a huge jump forward. 

3.  Simmie is amazing and that's obvious but Hale is really coming on a wideout.  I think he's on another level from James Hardy or Latimer who were high NFL draft picks.  I feel bad for Westbrook but hopefully he's better than ever next year.  In the meantime, Hale can cover us.  Taysir Mack is another kid with talent coming in the pipeline. 

4.  Juan Harris is a beast, but he has zero mobility.  If he can get motivated and lose thirty pounds, the sky is the limit.  He just cannot move right now.  

5.  Tony Fields is a heck of a sure tackler. I've always liked him as a player. 

6.  Interesting to see Raheem Layne getting run at corner. He looks talented albeit inexperienced, obviously. 

7.  That targeting call was a total, total injustice.  Incredibly poor and undeserved penalty. Absolute  horse bleep.   Gooch made a nice play and for the refs to undo that was incredibly unfair.  That was absolutely a play IU made without any unfair advantage and taking it away made no sense unless you're wholly divorced from reality.  If Michigan or OSU did that to IU, ask yourself if they'd get the same call.  Of course they wouldn't.  In no other profession do you see the level of incompetence you see than in college refs or in the NCAA.  Training and psychological evaluations are lacking. 

8.  Majette is not a B1G starter. He just isn't.  It's not that he's bad.  He's average.  But that ain't going to cut it.  Cole Gest can't pass protect.  That's a vital part of playing the RB position and he's lacking there.  I liked Morgan Ellison.  I'd play Natee more, despite his weight. Like Harris, you'd love to see what he could do if he got committed to losing weight, e.g., if he were 240 lbs or so.

9.  I've been hoping Allen was going to fix specials and I could t be happier with how that's coming along. This was a real strategic misstep by Kevin Wilson in not putting the resources into specials.  This could be an area where we get our breakthrough.  Very happy to see J-Shun Harris.  Fielding one at the two was bizarre and hopefully he's a fast learner and won't do it again.  Practice and being alert in games can be different in the real world. 

10.  Last year, we heard how nice Ramsey looked on the scout team.  Then, he really impressed me in the spring game. What he did yesterday was nothing short if remarkable.  The kid has all the winning attributes. Lagow looks good in the pocket and has a breathtaking arm.  But he doesn't have that winner's edge that Ram-tough has.  Love the kid.  

11.  That was a nice, and crucial win.  We look like a good team.  The defense is good but could improve it's consistency. But huge biggest issue for me is the O line and running the football.  I'd look hard at some of the changes I mentioned above. 

1. That targeting penalty was atrocious. I haven't seen a single article written about the game that mentions it. It needs to be addressed by the B1G.

2. Peyton Ramsey should be the QB moving forward. I like Richard, but I have a feeling we are going to be seeing some fool's gold against cupcakes FIU and Ga Southern that make everyone think he is better. And then we are going to get slaughtered by PSU.

1 hour ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

1. That targeting penalty was atrocious. I haven't seen a single article written about the game that mentions it. It needs to be addressed by the B1G.

2. Peyton Ramsey should be the QB moving forward. I like Richard, but I have a feeling we are going to be seeing some fool's gold against cupcakes FIU and Ga Southern that make everyone think he is better. And then we are going to get slaughtered by PSU.

The targeting call was curious.  This is football after all.  However, there was one angle on replay, where even I made an argument that it could have been called targeting, which as we all know.... it was. Called, that is.   Thank goodness the change eventually did not effect the outcome of the game, in the end.

Going on record here.   I like both of our QB's.  Never have been a fan of a two QB system, like we had in the recent past.  Also.  I do not see what goes on in practice.  So I have to defer to Allen when he chose Lagow as his starter for the next game.  Starting is not as important as how you finish, as we saw in the Virginia game.

9 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Going on record here.   I like both of our QB's.  Never have been a fan of a two QB system, like we had in the recent past.  Also.  I do not see what goes on in practice.  So I have to defer to Allen when he chose Lagow as his starter for the next game.  Starting is not as important as how you finish, as we saw in the Virginia game.

To be honest, I think Lagow will be on a short leash from this point on.  A senior can't be just as good as an underclassman, he has to be better to keep his job.

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:08 AM, BobSaccamanno said:

A few thoughts:

1. Jblaz, you're one of my favorite posters, but I didn't understand your Tre Roberson comment.  I liked Tre but I think Peyton Ramsey can be considerably, considerably better.  Maybe Tre is a more explosive runner, but overall I think Peyton has a chance to be much better. 

I just meant he will never be Roberson from as a pure runner. Roberson ultimately evolved into a 100 yard rushing game threat every week. In fairness, I haven't saw enough of Ramsey to write off his potential as a rusher .I'll just need to see much more volume out of him against better competition to become convinced he could be a guy who warrants 10-15 or more carries per game..You were particularly spot on about the O-line and their need dramatic improvement..We won't really know for sure what Ramsey is capable of until they protect him better.

Ramsey showed moxie similar to Diamont, maturity of Sudfeld with similar downfield arm strength ,but more zip on his throws and much better touch on his sideline passes.Ramsey is easily a better runner than both Sudfeld or Lagow,not quite as fast or quick as either Tre or Zander Diamont,though.

However , Ramsey IS a much more complete QB than any of the above and probably the best total package QB prospect we've saw make it to play a game for Indiana in a long time from both a physical and mental standpoint..I think the kid is going to be special,and I think he'll get even better when Tronti really starts to push him! Next spring should be a lot of fun seeing them go head to head for the starting job ;) 

Archived