NCAA Basketball Reform Commission Recommendations

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/23311712/commission-college-basketball-shares-recommendations-ncaa

Condy and the Commission on College Basketball released their recommendations today.  Honestly, I agree with a lot of what they recommended, and the proposed changes don’t seem entirely toothless.  We’ll see how they go about implementing them.

Was going to start a post as well.....

A couple of interesting things:

The Commission recommends that high school and college players who declare for the draft and are not drafted remain eligible for college basketball unless and until they sign a professional contract. Specifically, players who are not drafted should be permitted to change their minds and attend college or return to college, provided they remain academically and otherwise eligible. The Commission also recommends imposing two additional conditions on this retention of eligibility: The player must return to the same school, and the player must request an evaluation from the NBA’s Undergraduate Advisory Committee before entering the draft. The NBA has unique credibility with elite players who should have the benefit of the NBA evaluation in deciding whether to enter the draft.

I don't necessarily disagree with this, but it makes roster management a lot tougher for schools with elite level talent. Nothing will be finalized until the end of June. 

The Commission recommends that the NCAA immediately establish a substantial fund and commit to paying for the degree completion of student athletes with athletic scholarships who leave member institutions after progress of at least two years towards a degree. Colleges and universities must fulfill their commitments to student-athletes to provide not just a venue for athletic competition, but also an education. They must promise student-athletes that the option to receive an education will be there, even after the athlete is finished with his athletic career. This will be expensive, but it is necessary to restore credibility to the phrase student-athlete.

There's nothing about a 2 year mandate, but this looks to be a 2 year incentive. Maybe it's as close as they are going to get. 

I read a lot of the comments and people stating that players should be paid because they make all of this money for the universities.  I just don't see it this way because in college the name on the front of the jersey is what sells and not the name on the back of the jersey.  Players come and go but the name on the front stays the same and college fans will come and watch if their teams are competitive no matter who is playing.

Some of their findings is what I suggested a few months ago and I think they need to take the shoe companies out of the equation all together.  They need to set it up where the NCAA runs the summer circuit and not the shoe companies and if players or coaches go to any of the tournaments set up by the shoe companies they would be ineligible to participate in the college game.  The NCAA needs to have one shoe contract and not allow individual schools to have contracts with the shoe companies.

I agree they need to get rid of the one and done rule and allow the  players to go straight to the NBA but if they go to college they stay for 3 years.  I don't like the idea of letting players go through the draft and be able to come back if they are not drafted.  The draft is not until late June so that is awfully late to see what your roster will look like for the next year.

From a column on ESPN,

"In a direct reference to the recent NCAA investigation into academic fraud at North Carolina, the commission recommended the NCAA have jurisdiction into that area. She said the loophole that all students, not just athletes, were able to benefit from the fraudulent classes should not be a legitimate defense."

Music to my ears, but still the UNC case was closed for good, right?

4 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

I don't necessarily disagree with this, but it makes roster management a lot tougher for schools with elite level talent. Nothing will be finalized until the end of June. 

So you make the caveat more school-friendly by saying the player returns to the same school AS LONG AS THE SCHOOL STILL HAS A SCHOLARSHIP AVAILABLE.  That gives the school the option to move on before the draft and frees the player to go wherever if his old school dumps him.

I should have been on the commission...:coffee:

I don't want to say who has been saying this just in case he posts,etc...but someone very involved in Indiana basketball (high school/aau) has been saying this for years. Name an industry that compensates high school graduates more that doesn't require financial risk or negotiated IP rights.

Hopefully he'll post on this board....or maybe he does already. Anyway...I think that one sentence covers perfectly what I've thought as well.

If a player wants to declare for the draft there should be a deadline well before the draft, where the scholarship is safe up to the deadline, but after the deadline is at risk of being used as needed.

If they lose the scholarship and want to come back to school they could always walk on and earn another scholarship.  

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

So you make the caveat more school-friendly by saying the player returns to the same school AS LONG AS THE SCHOOL STILL HAS A SCHOLARSHIP AVAILABLE.  That gives the school the option to move on before the draft and frees the player to go wherever if his old school dumps him.

I should have been on the commission...:coffee:

I don't think that really solves the problem. You're just forcing the school into an earlier decision that it most likely doesn't want to make. Take Juwan for example, I think we can all agree that Archie would prefer Juwan come back over any player that was available this Spring at his spot, but if Juwan was able to roll the dice and stay in the draft knowing he could come back if he didn't get drafted, then you're basically forcing Archie to decide to move on or risk waiting and be left holding that bag if Juwan gets drafted. 

It's just horrible for roster management. You'd almost have to move the Spring signing period to align with the draft. 

30 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don't think that really solves the problem. You're just forcing the school into an earlier decision that it most likely doesn't want to make. Take Juwan for example, I think we can all agree that Archie would prefer Juwan come back over any player that was available this Spring at his spot, but if Juwan was able to roll the dice and stay in the draft knowing he could come back if he didn't get drafted, then you're basically forcing Archie to decide to move on or risk waiting and be left holding that bag if Juwan gets drafted. 

It's just horrible for roster management. You'd almost have to move the Spring signing period to align with the draft. 

It doesn't cure the problem but it at least gives the staff another roster management tool.  I could see Calipari really liking it frankly.  It's a great way to shove a marginal star out for an incoming burger boy and save face at the same time.  It's also a way to discourage a marginal draftee from plunging in with no repercussions.  Sure, for players like Juwan, I'd at least want to have a pretty serious discussion with him to gauge how likely he was to bolt, and I won't deny that leaves the coach with an element of uncertainty that can linger longer than it does under the present system, but it's better than what the committee is proposing, IMHO.

I had a crazy thought the other day, why not reintroduce freshman basketball!! Add a few scholarships for the freshman, that don't count against the varsity team! A lot of one and done are going to go elsewhere (good riddance I say). Others  will play out their freshman year and if they prove themselves they'll be gone. If they stay then the team will have a player with at least a year of practice and playing in the system. All the while the varsity team will be made up of players more dedicated to the team! I know, I know it's crazy but that's just me. I don't think like most people.

Concerning players getting paid for their name on the jersey, I think the NCAA should adopt the Hoosier rule and forbid names on the jersey's! :cheers:

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

I had a crazy thought the other day, why not reintroduce freshman basketball!! Add a few scholarships for the freshman, that don't count against the varsity team! A lot of one and done are going to go elsewhere (good riddance I say). Others  will play out their freshman year and if they prove themselves they'll be gone. If they stay then the team will have a player with at least a year of practice and playing in the system. All the while the varsity team will be made up of players more dedicated to the team! I know, I know it's crazy but that's just me. I don't think like most people.

Concerning players getting paid for their name on the jersey, I think the NCAA should adopt the Hoosier rule and forbid names on the jersey's! :cheers:

If the NCAA truly cared about its student athletes, the following sentence would clear up more than half of the shenanigans going on right now:

"In recognition of the difficulty some students face during their first year of college, freshmen will still be allowed to receive scholarships and practice with their respective teams, but will be ineligible to play or travel in order to focus on academics as their paramount priority."

Plus, you know, it would actually be good for their well being.

1 hour ago, rogue3542 said:

If the NCAA truly cared about its student athletes, the following sentence would clear up more than half of the shenanigans going on right now:

"In recognition of the difficulty some students face during their first year of college, freshmen will still be allowed to receive scholarships and practice with their respective teams, but will be ineligible to play or travel in order to focus on academics as their paramount priority."

Plus, you know, it would actually be good for their well being.

If the NBA is going to continue this insanity with their rules, then end the insanity with freshman basketball!!

I heard an interesting take the other day on a talk show.  What if schools were penalized if they had OAD?  Basically the host said that a school would loose a scholly for a player that was a OAD for a year.  Hopefully, I stated that right.

Ok, here's an interesting idea....cut the scholly limit down to 12. You get 3 schollys a year. 3 frosh, 3 soph and so on. Once a player signs a LOI, that scholly is taken for 4 years. If you have a transfer, they have to go to a school that has an opening in the same class. If a player leaves early, that scholly is spent for 4 years unless a player from the same class fills it. Get rid of red shirts but transfers still have to sit a year and you can still grad transfer once withou penalty. 

9 hours ago, 3Ballin said:

Ok, here's an interesting idea....cut the scholly limit down to 12. You get 3 schollys a year. 3 frosh, 3 soph and so on. Once a player signs a LOI, that scholly is taken for 4 years. If you have a transfer, they have to go to a school that has an opening in the same class. If a player leaves early, that scholly is spent for 4 years unless a player from the same class fills it. Get rid of red shirts but transfers still have to sit a year and you can still grad transfer once withou penalty. 

Dang interesting.

Archie ways in! 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/coaches-split-on-how-much-impact-can-truly-be-made-by-the-commission-on-college-basketballs-proposals/

One thing I've always wished for is the end of the unlimited free ride on APR for one and done's.  Allow, each team to have one each year without it affecting the teams APR, after that it starts to hurt! Stop this BS of semi pro teams like pUKe and Duke!! Wonder how CaliSlime would like to manage team balance under that scenario?

4 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Archie ways in! 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/coaches-split-on-how-much-impact-can-truly-be-made-by-the-commission-on-college-basketballs-proposals/

One thing I've always wished for is the end of the unlimited free ride on APR for one and done's.  Allow, each team to have one each year without it affecting the teams APR, after that it starts to hurt! Stop this BS of semi pro teams like pUKe and Duke!! Wonder how CaliSlime would like to manage team balance under that scenario?

Funny...Archie said almost VERBATIM what I suggested earlier. Gleas, you see that?

Archived