Ethan Morton (2020) Commits to Purdue

Fundamentals

I'm not sure how many people have seen this but I figured I would post it. 

My thoughts on Morton:

Pros

+excellent vision

+11 for 15 from the free throw line

+shooting form looks solid

Cons

-not explosive

-average ballhandler at best

-relies on the one-handed pass

-0 for 2 from three

-3 for 10 from two

He looks like a like a high three-star to low four-star to me, but I'm just one high school coach. I just don't think he's quick enough to defend wings in the Big Ten.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AshtonHershey said:

I'm not sure how many people have seen this but I figured I would post it. 

My thoughts on Morton:

Pros

+excellent vision

+11 for 15 from the free throw line

+shooting form looks solid

Cons

-not explosive

-average ballhandler at best

-relies on the one-handed pass

-0 for 2 from three

-3 for 10 from two

He looks like a like a high three-star to low four-star to me, but I'm just one high school coach. I just don't think he's quick enough to defend wings in the Big Ten.

His handles definitely don’t look avg for a 6’5 guard and his one handed passes were on point all game. Ja Morant down here throws tons of one handed passes and gets praise for it all the time and likely lottery pick. When you have the vision he does and the accuracy on them it’s a big plus. He just snaps them off the dribble and gets them in places you couldn’t otherwise and they hit kids right in stride or the pocket so they can shoot or drive. That game was definitely not his best shooting performance as he took a secondary role and was picking the zone apart for his teammates...he has had tons of big shooting games scoring 40-50 points. I do hate that they played zone as it makes for a lazy defense in high school but I’ve got no worries the kid who works as hard as he does will adjust. As for 3*...uh don’t see that and considering he is moving up the list to almost 5* status recruiting experts don’t either. 3* don’t get invited to play for USA basketball. I do agree his vision is outstanding and he may not have explosive athleticism but he has been just fine playing up a year in AAU against elite talent and I don’t see a problem him playing at IU.

I posted this in another thread not sure how to embed but this was from last year and he looked special then...and only gotten better. We have lots of athletes on this team but there is not a kid like this that can make plays for others on top of himself. Quintessential glue guy that will benefit the program for 4 years.

http://www.hudl.com/v/29kyuA

Sorry wish I could figure out how to embed the video to make it easier but this is best I can do. Again this is from his sophomore year. Hoepefully after this year he will post his junior year highlights.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 7:50 AM, Seeking6 said:

Not sure what I'm watching here. Maybe a little bit of Fife to him? 

He has good size and probably similar shooter etc...I'd say his court vision however is better. Perfect complimentary player that by his junior/senior year would be a leader and possibly turn into an all-b1g player.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Sounds great and we need to get this kid

This is probably not a good comparison, but this kid immediately makes me think of Ty Jerome at Virginia.  He strikes me as heady and great basketball IQ.  Plus I'm guessing that he's a multiple year player versus a one year wonder.

2 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

This is probably not a good comparison, but this kid immediately makes me think of Ty Jerome at Virginia.  He strikes me as heady and great basketball IQ.  Plus I'm guessing that he's a multiple year player versus a one year wonder.

Actually watching the tournament I thought of that comparison as well.

2 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

We need more guys like that!

Archived