Ethan Morton (2020) Commits to Purdue

Fundamentals

8 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

Once again it shows that very often the folks on this and every board don't really know what's happening when it comes to recruiting.  Just my opinion.

The most accurate statement in a long time in my opinion 

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, RoadToZion said:

Very disappointing. I'm not so sure Archie backed off at all to be honest. Our program just isn't in the right place right now it seems. This one will sting for a while. 

Yeah, this is a player that I thought would really fit in well.

It sure would be nice to hit on somemain targets in the next few months.  I'm tired of hanging our hopes waiting on kids to make up their minds.

20 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

Very disappointing. I'm not so sure Archie backed off at all to be honest. Our program just isn't in the right place right now it seems. This one will sting for a while. 

I’m not going to be the guy that’s like “oh we don’t want him anyways” or anything like that because man I would of love to have Morton but I woukd t say it hurts or is disappointing until we know what the class becomes you know? There are still great options in the 2020 class like Caleb Love, Leal, Galloway, Saunders, Cross, Garcia, Davis from Morton’s team. List goes on and on plus we have a major crop in 2021. I think this could sting if we whiff on most of those guys but if we say sign a class like Leal Galloway and Saunders and maybe a big like Garcia then I wouldn’t say Morton hurts honestly! Kid is a great player and will be for Purdue but I think we just need to wait and see what the class becomes because it is early.

12 hours ago, Cutter said:

We need both Leal and Galloway and one of Davis or pack and one of cross or Garcia. I never understood the love fest for Morton . Archie did have an in home with him in the last two weeks and he was planning on a visit next week. Just my opinion

My opinion is that IU's program will ultimately be rebuilt using predominantly Indiana kids.  Not saying we don't look outside the state, but missing one kid from Pennsylvania ain't the end of the world for me.  😁

4 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

My opinion is that IU's program will ultimately be rebuilt using predominantly Indiana kids.  Not saying we don't look outside the state, but missing one kid from Pennsylvania ain't the end of the world for me.  😁

Amen! Give me Leal and Galloway in 2020 and an maybe an out of state guard and big. Then in 2021 give me whoever in the class from Lander to Kaufmann to Furst to Thomas to Montgomery even! The world is our oyster

Since none of us know for sure, and this is all purely conjecture,  do you think Morton REALLY chose Purdue over Virginia, Michigan, and IU?  Taking out the IU bias,  that makes little sense. It seems like the kid is a grinder that doesn't have the athletic attributes of some of the elite prospects. Or maybe lacks some of the higher upside of others. 

Don't get me wrong, I love what I've seen in videos and read in reports. He seems like the kind of player that will excel and be a thorn in our side at Purdue. Painter has a way of developing players without elite quickness into solid defensive assets in his team defensive concept. Also seems like the kind of kid that while thrive setting and running off of screens.  Just hope he has a more quiet bravado like Carsen than some of their current and former players.

13 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Since none of us know for sure, and this is all purely conjecture,  do you think Morton REALLY chose Purdue over Virginia, Michigan, and IU?  Taking out the IU bias,  that makes little sense. It seems like the kid is a grinder that doesn't have the athletic attributes of some of the elite prospects. Or maybe lacks some of the higher upside of others. 

Don't get me wrong, I love what I've seen in videos and read in reports. He seems like the kind of player that will excel and be a thorn in our side at Purdue. Painter has a way of developing players without elite quickness into solid defensive assets in his team defensive concept. Also seems like the kind of kid that while thrive setting and running off of screens.  Just hope he has a more quiet bravado like Carsen than some of their current and former players.

Why does it make little sense? Purdue has been on him from very early on, just got a ton of exposure in the tournament, and can offer him a good amount of playing time. I’m guessing he knew that Purdue only had one guard spot left after Ivey committed and wanted to jump on board before it was too late. 

On 4/30/2019 at 9:34 AM, CoachSS said:

I think Indiana is in a better spot with him, at current writing, than I would have guessed. 

And I am very happy about that. 

Proof that things change quickly, especially regarding high school kids. Your original guess was correct sir...I have a feeling CAM found out this wasn't going to go his way, and moved on?

Heard anything on the Indiana boys? 

9 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Why does it make little sense? Purdue has been on him from very early on, just got a ton of exposure in the tournament, and can offer him a good amount of playing time. I’m guessing he knew that Purdue only had one guard spot left after Ivey committed and wanted to jump on board before it was too late. 

I can see the point that they've built a longstanding relationship with him, but do you really think you're on the recruiting level to outrecruit the national champs and a team that has been to two championship games in the last several years?  Seriously?

5 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

I can see the point that they've built a longstanding relationship with him, but do you really think you're on the recruiting level to outrecruit the national champs and a team that has been to two championship games in the last several years?  Seriously?

For 1 recruit? Yeah I think it’s possible. Sure it’s possible UVA or Michigan weren’t pushing hard for him but even if they were, yeah I think it makes sense that Purdue could land him over those teams. It’s one guy. 

8 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

For 1 recruit? Yeah I think it’s possible. Sure it’s possible UVA or Michigan weren’t pushing hard for him but even if they were, yeah I think it makes sense that Purdue could land him over those teams. It’s one guy. 

Anything is possible,  and I'm not trying to be argumentative as the second paragraph in my original paragraph hopefully would suggest,  but it's not likely.  Unless there is some prior relationship with his family to Purdue or the coaching staff, I just don't see a recruit picking Purdue over those two teams right now.  Once again, just my opinion. Congrats if you land him,  seems like a quality student and ball player.

50 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Don't feed the trolls too much. Most on this board recognize Morton as a very good all-around player who will benefit your program for 4 years. Hell of a get for Purdue. 

This one sucks and hurts Archie big time.  While we all criticized Crean for throwing out too many offers but maybe Archie needs to cast a wider net.  Crean used a shotgun but Archie appears to be using a muzzleloader.  Maybe a rifle approach is best.

1 hour ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Anything is possible,  and I'm not trying to be argumentative as the second paragraph in my original paragraph hopefully would suggest,  but it's not likely.  Unless there is some prior relationship with his family to Purdue or the coaching staff, I just don't see a recruit picking Purdue over those two teams right now.  Once again, just my opinion. Congrats if you land him,  seems like a quality student and ball player.

Well, it happened... so...

46 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Don't feed the trolls too much. Most on this board recognize Morton as a very good all-around player who will benefit your program for 4 years. Hell of a get for Purdue. 

Yep.  Morton doesn't appear to be the dead-eye shooter we desperately need, but seems to be the gritty, smart, team player we could also use.  Purdue is on a roll both on the court and recruiting trail so kudos to them.  After reading this morning about the likely commitment to Purdue, against my better judgement I decided to see what the GBI board was saying and predictably it couldn't stay on track about getting a prized recruit but devolved into claims of coach Miller being a child molester.  I understand why StBoiler has to come here.

32 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

This one sucks and hurts Archie big time.  While we all criticized Crean for throwing out too many offers but maybe Archie needs to cast a wider net.  Crean used a shotgun but Archie appears to be using a muzzleloader.  Maybe a rifle approach is best.

You're letting your emotions get the better of you. Sucks losing one to the Toiletmakers, yes, but plenty of other fish in the sea.

Morton is an excellent player by most estimates but there was plenty of disagreement about whether he was really the top target in 2020. I'd be very happy with several of the Indiana kids we are on as well as Morton's AAU teammate who has looked significantly better than Morton this season. We may well look back later and decide it was best he went elsewhere. Let's let the class unfold before we get too upset.

2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

You're letting your emotions get the better of you. Sucks losing one to the Toiletmakers, yes, but plenty of other fish in the sea.

Morton is an excellent player by most estimates but there was plenty of disagreement about whether he was really the top target in 2020. I'd be very happy with several of the Indiana kids we are on as well as Morton's AAU teammate who has looked significantly better than Morton this season. We may well look back later and decide it was best he went elsewhere. Let's let the class unfold before we get too upset.

Great post but you have to excuse this poster because he has that rivals mentality

11 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Yep.  Morton doesn't appear to be the dead-eye shooter we desperately need, but seems to be the gritty, smart, team player we could also use.  Purdue is on a roll both on the court and recruiting trail so kudos to them.  After reading this morning about the likely commitment to Purdue, against my better judgement I decided to see what the GBI board was saying and predictably it couldn't stay on track about getting a prized recruit but devolved into claims of coach Miller being a child molester.  I understand why StBoiler has to come here.

The free board there is awful. I only post on the premium site. It’s night and day different. 

12 minutes ago, Cutter said:

I hate to say it but with Hunter, Newman, Ivey and Morton Purdue will be very good in the back court. Just my opinion 

The Big Ten needs a good Purdue and Indiana to be elite.  Hopefully Illinois can also get back their mojo.  To me the rivalry should be heated like UNC Duke and it only happens when both get great players and play.

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

Archie does not throw offers around like Crean did but he did offer 12 guards in 2019 (landing Franklin). Not Creanian but not using a muzzle loader either.

Archie offered Leal and Galloway shortly after his last in-home with Morton.  Who knows but it seems as though he knew the handwriting was on the wall (or maybe was directly told “your out”) after that visit. This will be forgotten if we land Leal and Galloway but I don’t agree with the “we laid off and /or no longer wanted him posts”.If that was the case why visit him again a little over a week ago?

1 minute ago, CoachSS said:

The Leal + Galloway offers had been coming. Everyone knew that inside the IU locker room and the families had a pretty good idea. It had little and nothing to do with Morton. 

IU wanted Morton badly. Painter closed the deal. End of story. On we go. 

That’s good to hear that the offers had nothing to do with Morton. And like I said, if we get Leal and Galloway this won’t matter as much.

Also thanks for confirming IU wanted Morton badly. You win some and lose some but it seems that the “we did not want him anyway” posts pop up after we lose someone.

Do you have an idea as to how confident the staff is in landing Leal and/or Galloway?

Archived