Ethan Morton (2020) Commits to Purdue

Fundamentals

Just now, CoachSS said:

Prefer not to say more at this time. 

That’s what I figured from your answer but had to ask :)

I would also guess that staff members do not want to give the families signs of being over-confident in landing them.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

The free board there is awful. I only post on the premium site. It’s night and day different. 

Sadly the free IU board over there is equally awful. I like to read opponent's message boards to see what they're saying about things but I don't participate or pay for premium access.  It's a shame how few B10 teams have decent free boards.

26 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

Archie offered Leal and Galloway shortly after his last in-home with Morton.  Who knows but it seems as though he knew the handwriting was on the wall (or maybe was directly told “your out”) after that visit. This will be forgotten if we land Leal and Galloway but I don’t agree with the “we laid off and /or no longer wanted him posts”.If that was the case why visit him again a little over a week ago?

They play different positions though. Recruiting has hit a brick wall. 

To be honest losing this one to PU really concerns me. 2021 in state talent is off the charts and we are usually competing with the UK's and Dukes and UNC and KU for those type of kids. The on court product better pick up because like it or not CMP is producing a product that is getting the attention of recruits. This upcoming season will be IMO a make or break situation for recruiting. 

3 minutes ago, Bedford1432 said:

I thought Leal was suppose to commit on the spot. He still has not pulled the trigger. 

Why not enjoy the process. ITs not everyday that you get this opportunity. Make the most of it. I knew several years ago I was forced to buy a mini van but I still took the Mustang and a Lexus out for a test drive. Even though from day 1 I knew it was going to be the Kia Sedona

6 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Why not enjoy the process. ITs not everyday that you get this opportunity. Make the most of it. I knew several years ago I was forced to buy a mini van but I still took the Mustang and a Lexus out for a test drive. Even though from day 1 I knew it was going to be the Kia Sedona

Well I had a Mustang but had to trade it in for a Focus when my daughter was born

5 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I agree but there is a sentiment of out there of wanting kids that would give their left arm to play for IU and some thought the Leal offer was delayed a bit because Archie wanted to be sure he would be a fit (before offering) because there was a theory that Leal would commit on the spot. I’m not sure those kids exist anymore.

I agree Leal should enjoy the process and perhaps see how our season starts before pulling the trigger.

I'd think there has to be a sliding scale on how long you wait for a kid to decide.  Romeo was worth waiting for until May of his senior year.  The kid from Ft Wayne was not worth all that.  Archie put an enormous time commitment into recruiting him.  Once the Fall signing season passed and the kid is still far away from a decision, red flags should go up.  He was obviously not worth waiting for.  Once you've put that amount of time in, if the kid isn't ready to pull the trigger by November, you push on somebody else.  The lower the kid's upside is, the quicker the trigger should be to move on.  You can't wait forever for the number 80 or number 120 kid to decide.  Archie is under stress here.  He needs to prove he can coach at this level.  He cannot afford to have kids string him along.

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I'd think there has to be a sliding scale on how long you wait for a kid to decide.  Romeo was worth waiting for until May of his senior year.  The kid from Ft Wayne was not worth all that.  Archie put an enormous time commitment into recruiting him.  Once the Fall signing season passed and the kid is still far away from a decision, red flags should go up.  He was obviously not worth waiting for.  Once you've put that amount of time in, if the kid isn't ready to pull the trigger by November, you push on somebody else.  The lower the kid's upside is, the quicker the trigger should be to move on.  You can't wait forever for the number 80 or number 120 kid to decide.  Archie is under stress here.  He needs to prove he can coach at this level.  He cannot afford to have kids string him along.

The Brooks thing was probably a mistake to put in that much time when a big boy like Kentucky can swoop on in and get him. . After he did not commit in the fall the red flags should have been huge. You still keep recruiting him but you should also look at other guys at that point. We are in scramble mode now but we are missing on every guy we are going after this spring. We are likely to go into next year with 10 to 11 scholarship players depending on Hunter's health and no new shooters.

6 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I agree that there should be different levels of staying on a kid, based on ability. However, I don't think it's so cut and dried to call off the dogs, especially on a highly ranked, in-state kid. If Archie stopped recruiting Brooks in November, then there would have been all kinds of havoc by posters on boards like these that he gave up on a 5 star. It's what happens when people have incomplete information, but feel that they are entitled to their opinion regardless. It's a tight rope that every coach has to walk, perception vs reality. 

39 minutes ago, Bedford1432 said:

I thought Leal was suppose to commit on the spot. He still has not pulled the trigger. 

19 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

I don’t know anyone that thought that.

This is the difference between message board speculation and someone reasonably close to the action...

2 hours ago, CoachSS said:

This one totally stings. He was a player that was either #1 or #1A on IU's board. The fact Archie thought the in-home visit a few weeks ago went well is probably further proof things can change quickly in recruiting. 

As for the IN boys, I'll see them in a few weeks up here in Chicago-land. I know a few of the parents involved so should get some good insight then if I make the trip up there. 

Yeah seems to me he was the #1 target.  If you care to comment was the staff surprised that they didn't land Keion Brooks?  I think they thought he was all but locked up at one time.

37 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

It doesn't take much of this hs recruiting crapola to understand why coaches get out of the profession.  It has really turned into a circus in so many ways.  

Amen.  It's why I doubt Brad Stevens will ever come back to college coaching.

2 hours ago, Bedford1432 said:

The Brooks thing was probably a mistake to put in that much time when a big boy like Kentucky can swoop on in and get him. . After he did not commit in the fall the red flags should have been huge. You still keep recruiting him but you should also look at other guys at that point. We are in scramble mode now but we are missing on every guy we are going after this spring. We are likely to go into next year with 10 to 11 scholarship players depending on Hunter's health and no new shooters.

I still have to wonder if some of that was because of the relationship between Schilling and daddy Brooks..

8 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

It doesn't take much of this hs recruiting crapola to understand why coaches get out of the profession. 

Knight hated how recruiting turned into following kids around games, just to be seen.  To evaluate, sure.  But to just stand there and be seen?  Hated it.

I think it was Dane Fife who described Knight's all-important in-home visit with him.  Knight completely ignored Dane.  Didn't say a word to him.  Instead, he talked to the parents about fishing, hunting, everything. 

When it was time to leave, he turned to Dane and said "Well, are you going to play basketball at Indiana or not?" 

Fife committed on the spot.   

I'd love it if Archie could pull a few of those with our Indiana kids over the next few years.

15 hours ago, Madison22 said:

Knight hated how recruiting turned into following kids around games, just to be seen.  To evaluate, sure.  But to just stand there and be seen?  Hated it.

I think it was Dane Fife who described Knight's all-important in-home visit with him.  Knight completely ignored Dane.  Didn't say a word to him.  Instead, he talked to the parents about fishing, hunting, everything. 

When it was time to leave, he turned to Dane and said "Well, are you going to play basketball at Indiana or not?" 

Fife committed on the spot.   

I'd love it if Archie could pull a few of those with our Indiana kids over the next few years.

Didnt he also talk with Dane's Grandfather about war heroes. 

Archived