Ethan Morton (2020) Commits to Purdue

Fundamentals

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Just start winning, and then things will change.  

Chicken or the egg. Players needed to win. Every new coach has a bright and shiny window to build that momentum. Some do it in year 1. Some in year 2. Others...usually don't get to find out because after 2-3 years it it's being used against them and the process starts all over again by year 4 or 5 because of the recruits they lost in year 2-3. 

Regarding Purdue. Painter never would have lasted at IU. Missing the tourney 2 years in a row followed by 2 first round exits after 10 years on the job would mean termination. Just different expectations here vs there. That's why Matt is in a perfect spot. 

Hopefully people won't turn this into a Painter taking a recruit from Archie's home state thing. Archie has taken Rob P, Damezi...and Painter didn't even get invited to the table on TJD and Romeo. 

I’m surprised that Purdue is apparently getting him but we don’t really know what’s going on in terms of priorities.  The idea he was our number one priority is just as likely to be imaginary as it is true.  We’ve been pushing on Leal and Galloway and then their teammate Lander.  If we got those two in-state 2020 guys, then we wouldn’t take Morton anyway.  Maybe that was Archie’s move on Leal and Galloway to show his commitment that way.  There may be a larger picture and context.  

He is an excellent get for Purdue.  I’m not pretending he’s not good.  

Just now, BobSaccamanno said:

I’m surprised that Purdue is apparently getting him but we don’t really know what’s going on in terms of priorities.  The idea he was our number one priority is just as likely to be imaginary as it is true.  We’ve been pushing on Leal and Galloway and then their teammate Lander.  If we got those two in-state 2020 guys, then we wouldn’t take Morton anyway.  Maybe that was Archie’s move on Leal and Galloway to show his commitment that way.  There may be a larger picture and context.  

I’m guessing Morton was higher up on IU’s list than Leal or Galloway. Don’t think that’s far-fetched at all. 

4 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I’m guessing Morton was higher up on IU’s list than Leal or Galloway. Don’t think that’s far-fetched at all. 

I’m not denying that it is possible, just that we don’t know and Archie isn’t going to tell us.  Maybe our new friend, Mrs Leal, will tell us what Archie told young Mr. Leal.  From recent reports, you can see Archie all out on Galloway and Leal, much more than Morton.  It may not be that Archie doesn’t like Morton but that he figures he can get three one way and just one the other if those three like each other.  

I was actually wondering the same thing.  Would I rather have Leal and Galloway, with a lead-in to Lander, who Archie has been all over, or get Morton and alienate the trio.  

9 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

The last public time I can find Archie was in PA to see him was end of February. Since that time he's obviously been in on several others in the same class...including Leal/Galloway. No clue if something happened after that visit but I can't find anything showing Archie has prioritized him since end of February. 

Just now, HoosierRobbie said:

True but Archie really wanted Morton, to lose him to Purdue is a real gut punch.

Not saying it does not hurt but it has seemed like there has not been any news of Morton and IU for awhile.  I know Morton is supposed to be a great leader and passer but is not a great shooter yet so maybe we are looking at more shooting.

Your original post was rank speculation, and likely off.  Since you are informed, you know that the staff has been following Leal and Galloway around much more. You can’t take all three.  I’m sure Archie likes Morton. That’s not the point.  He’s going for a pipeline the other direction.  Maybe we can see Galloway and Morton get after each other soon.  

I am noticing some overconfidence from Purdue people.  The demise of Indiana is greatly exaggerated.  IU will always be the glamour school and Purdue will be in West Lafayette. 

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Your original post was rank speculation, and likely off.  Since you are informed, you know that the staff has been following Leal and Galloway around much more. You can’t take all three.  I’m sure Archie likes Morton. That’s not the point.  He’s going for a pipeline the other direction.  Maybe we can see Galloway and Morton get after each other soon.  

I am noticing some overconfidence from Purdue people.  The demise of Indiana is greatly exaggerated.  IU will always be the glamour school and Purdue will be in West Lafayette. 

That’s probably why this is a big shock for me, losing a recruit to Purdue baffles me.. but I’ll take your word on it for leal and Galloway.

39 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Chicken or the egg. Players needed to win. Every new coach has a bright and shiny window to build that momentum. Some do it in year 1. Some in year 2. Others...usually don't get to find out because after 2-3 years it it's being used against them and the process starts all over again by year 4 or 5 because of the recruits they lost in year 2-3. 

Regarding Purdue. Painter never would have lasted at IU. Missing the tourney 2 years in a row followed by 2 first round exits after 10 years on the job would mean termination. Just different expectations here vs there. That's why Matt is in a perfect spot. 

Hopefully people won't turn this into a Painter taking a recruit from Archie's home state thing. Archie has taken Rob P, Damezi...and Painter didn't even get invited to the table on TJD and Romeo. 

Totally agree and Archie is a no nonsense stubborn basketball dude.  That also is his worst trait.  Play a little zone when you only had Morgan downlow and win a few more games.  We need point guards as well.  Rob is great but who else

44 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

The last public time I can find Archie was in PA to see him was end of February. Since that time he's obviously been in on several others in the same class...including Leal/Galloway. No clue if something happened after that visit but I can't find anything showing Archie has prioritized him since end of February. 

Pretty sure he had an in-home visit with him recently and I think Morton was scheduled to be in Bloomington this weekend. 

We need both Leal and Galloway and one of Davis or pack and one of cross or Garcia. I never understood the love fest for Morton . Archie did have an in home with him in the last two weeks and he was planning on a visit next week. Just my opinion

22 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I would take Leal and Galloway over Morton right now. To me Morton’s struggles in AAU are a major red flag imo. The other two have produced results in high school and AAU.

He’s played 4 AAU games this year lol. Major red flag?

Archived