Ethan Morton (2020) Commits to Purdue

Fundamentals

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Cutter said:

I was thinking about the possibility of reclassify in to 2019. Thanks for the info mile you and some others are always on top of it thanks

You are more than welcome.  Appreciate your kind words.  Many of the things I have learned about IUBB and college basketball in general is because of people that share on this great forum.  And thanks to you... for being a member.  It's always good to have people interested enough to share or question.  That's how we all learn.

Any notes on how the visit went? I'm really excited about this kid. Think he will be a great PG for us. Considering Archie grew up in his neck of the woods I would hope he would have a great shot at landing the young man! Another facilitator would be great to have on the floor and I like that he has size too. I'll take any snippet of news lol!

On 9/21/2018 at 3:48 PM, Cutter said:

I was thinking about the possibility of reclassify in to 2019. Thanks for the info mile you and some others are always on top of it thanks

I know you’re speculating but this is a good guess, IMO.  I believe he’s an outstanding student to boot, and skipping a grade would probably be workable for him.  

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I know you’re speculating but this is a good guess, IMO.  I believe he’s an outstanding student to boot, and skipping a grade would probably be workable for him.  

Yes I am purely speculating , but it would be good timing for us. Then again I have no idea of archie and the staffs plans.

37 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

once again pure speculation but weeks ago i was told that a 20 guy might sign before the next 19 and we all assumed it to be Morton, maybe something to it.

Yes I remember you talking about a2020 recruit possibly committing soon. That is why I was wondering about morton visiting this early. I appreciate your insight that you have brought forward.

1 minute ago, Cutter said:

Yes I remember you talking about a2020 recruit possibly committing soon. That is why I was wondering about morton visiting this early. I appreciate your insight that you have brought forward.

thank you and it pure speculation as others but maybe there is more to it and possibly reclassifying.  the guy that talks tome is so cryptic and his email when I asked him which 2019 would be next, his reply was "don't be surprised if you see the next 2019  to actually be a 2020"  I took it as a 2020 wold committ before the next 19 but maybe he meant reclassify IDK

28 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

I’m confused here. 247 lists him as a 6’4 195 SF but there is talk in this thread like he’s being recruited at the point. I love height in my PGs so I’m all for it but can we clarify what our plans for him are?

Yeah, weird. Rivals has him listed as a PG. 247 had him as a SG initially but has since moved him to a SF. ESPN has him as a SG.

19 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

thank you and it pure speculation as others but maybe there is more to it and possibly reclassifying.  the guy that talks tome is so cryptic and his email when I asked him which 2019 would be next, his reply was "don't be surprised if you see the next 2019  to actually be a 2020"  I took it as a 2020 wold committ before the next 19 but maybe he meant reclassify IDK

In my opinion it would be a really good addition either way , again thanks for what you bring

7 hours ago, addictedtoIU said:

This kid is an enigma. All 3 recruiting sites list his height differently; 6-4 in 247, 6-5 in Rivals, and 6-6 in ESPN. I think he's not done growing. If he's close to 6-6 with dishing, shooting, decent ball handling skills, he can be a very valuable player in college being able to play in 3 different positions. 

All the local papers say he plays PG for his HS team. I think the issues come because he has been playing a year up in his AAU ball (with the 19s) and likely being used at several positions but from what I’ve read and watched...he is a true PG and regularly puts up triple doubles...he could likely play any of the 3 positions. To me he would be a perfect guard compliment to perhaps a smaller shooting guard or a high volume scorer. He seems very unselfish and looks to make the right play instead so much for his own shot...but when he needs to score...he has multitude of ways to get his shot off and put it in the hoop. Love the sound of him.

36 minutes ago, dgambill said:

All the local papers say he plays PG for his HS team. I think the issues come because he has been playing a year up in his AAU ball (with the 19s) and likely being used at several positions but from what I’ve read and watched...he is a true PG and regularly puts up triple doubles...he could likely play any of the 3 positions. To me he would be a perfect guard compliment to perhaps a smaller shooting guard or a high volume scorer. He seems very unselfish and looks to make the right play instead so much for his own shot...but when he needs to score...he has multitude of ways to get his shot off and put it in the hoop. Love the sound of him.

Love what I'm hearing. I get the vibe his shot is average or he'd be ranked much higher?

14 hours ago, ADegenerate said:

Love what I'm hearing. I get the vibe his shot is average or he'd be ranked much higher?

Avg for an elite pg prospect perhaps? He seems to do everything well. I think and it's just my accessment is that these scouting resources are wowed more by guys that draw attention to themselves...they see guys that shoot or score a lot or have incredible physical talent or abilities and put a premium on scoring in these AAU circuit stuff. Just my opinion...but guys like Ethan that play to make others better...pass first PG and look to get others involved and don't draw attention to themselves aren't going to shoot up the charts to the 5* status. From everything I've heard he plays on a squad full of 2019 stars and he is a backup to Jalen Lecque who is a top 25 recruit so perhaps he is overshadowed playing up an age level. He avgs about 5 pts 4 ast and 3 rebs per game....his shooting on the circuit wasn't impressive but based on play at HS and peer level he shot the ball well enough to avg 24pts a game as a 10th grader. Here is the latest article I could find on him. Really praises his court awareness and elite IQ. Does say scoring in traffic and taking the ball to the basket and finishing is something they want to see him improve...so you may have a point. I think both those things can be improved....IQ and decision making....a little more difficult.

https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2018/05/17/micah-mason-breaks-down-butlers-ethan-morton/

247 gave a recap of the visit and it made me feel like we were the leader. He talked about how Ethan hung out with the guys a lot and got to play in an open gym with them and loved it. He went to the football game and tailgated with the players and coaches. They loved Archie from what they said and loved the program. The quotes that he used just made me truly feel like we are the leader as it stands. That is my opinion on the information and not any inside information. 

12 hours ago, HoosierKix said:

247 gave a recap of the visit and it made me feel like we were the leader. He talked about how Ethan hung out with the guys a lot and got to play in an open gym with them and loved it. He went to the football game and tailgated with the players and coaches. They loved Archie from what they said and loved the program. The quotes that he used just made me truly feel like we are the leader as it stands. That is my opinion on the information and not any inside information. 

I think Pitt and Purdue both will be right there to the end....but I’m hoping Archie’s Pennsylvania connections gets it done. I think this kid is a prefect fit for any program. Will play 4 years and lead by example and make his teammates better. A future captain I think!

54 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think Pitt and Purdue both will be right there to the end....but I’m hoping Archie’s Pennsylvania connections gets it done. I think this kid is a prefect fit for any program. Will play 4 years and lead by example and make his teammates better. A future captain I think!

We’re good here. Think this one is a lock. Stone cold almost. Speculation of course. 

8 hours ago, ADegenerate said:

We’re good here. Think this one is a lock. Stone cold almost. Speculation of course. 

I hope so. To me this is not the traditional IU kid we have valued highly in the Crean era. Kind of kid that has gone to Purdue and Wisky and given us fits for 4 years. I just appreciate Archie sees talent in a variety of ways and goes after it. We don’t have to have a roster 13 deep of guys that have super high measurables or ones that do one thing great. This kid has a full understanding of the game and I think can make everyone around him on the court better.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived