2020 Recruiting Hub

On 5/23/2019 at 12:32 AM, dgambill said:

I would be ok with a Davis in 2020 and Landers in 21...solidify our pg spot for years to come.

If we get Davis, we are not getting Lander.  Rob will still be here in 2021 as well.  That's a crowd.

An ideal PG setup is having a 3 year  Sr. starter who is a pure PG with  a soid Freshman backup.  The fresman then starts as Sophomore, and he has a combo guard backup until his Senior year when an incoming freshman arrives to be backup.  And, start the cycle all over again.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

If we get Davis, we are not getting Lander.  Rob will still be here in 2021 as well.  That's a crowd.

An ideal PG setup is having a 3 year  Sr. starter who is a pure PG with  a soid Freshman backup.  The fresman then starts as Sophomore, and he has a combo guard backup until his Senior year when an incoming freshman arrives to be backup.  And, start the cycle all over again.

I've always preferred staggering true PGs on a two year basis, so that you always have two true lead guards on the roster, one as the starter and one as the understudy. The timetable for Phinisee and Lander may not make that possible in this case, though. 

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

We have no backup next year...we have to have a pg one way or another. You don’t go into a season with only 1 primary ball handiler. I don’t think it’s ideal to have 3 but you do what is best for the program. If Davis leaves after a year he leaves..but he wouldn’t stop us from taking Lander...not one bit and he wouldn’t keep Lander from commiting imo.

Here is my question...I couldn’t figure out how to make a poll but who would everyone prefer to back up Rob next year (we will have no other primary ball handiler on the roster)

Nijel Pack 6’0 traditional 

RJ Davis 6’0 shooter

Hassan Diarra 6’2 slasher

Mike Saunders Jr 6’1 slasher

DJ Steward 6’3 Shooter/scorer combo guard

No one (Wait for Khristian Lander in 2021)

I’m leaving off Love because first off we would all be crazy not to want him but I think he is extremely long shot.

25 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Here is my question...I couldn’t figure out how to make a poll but who would everyone prefer to back up Rob next year (we will have no other primary ball handiler on the roster)

I don't like to name one player over another on a list like this.  Many of them read this board.  A compliment to one is a slight to another.

They're all terrific, talented kids.

My favorite is whoever signs first.   :cheers:

1 hour ago, Madison22 said:

I don't like to name one player over another on a list like this.  Many of them read this board.  A compliment to one is a slight to another.

Spoken like a wise diplomat...or someone who has survived many years of marriage.😂

1 hour ago, Madison22 said:

No worries. All terrific players..just wondering if people prefer a shooter or guy that drives etc. I definitely don’t want to upset any of the recruits. Thanks for looking out for our team.

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Nijel Pack 6’0 traditional 

RJ Davis 6’0 shooter

Hassan Diarra 6’2 slasher

Mike Saunders Jr 6’1 slasher

DJ Steward 6’3 Shooter/scorer combo guard

No one (Wait for Khristian Lander in 2021)

I’m leaving off Love because first off we would all be crazy not to want him but I think he is extremely long shot.

From what I’ve heard Steward isn’t a pg in any form. So he isn’t really a combo guard at all other than he is 6’3. I’d take any of them. I also don’t think Lander would be scared off by any of these players either. 

8 hours ago, DC2345 said:

From what I’ve heard Steward isn’t a pg in any form. So he isn’t really a combo guard at all other than he is 6’3. I’d take any of them. I also don’t think Lander would be scared off by any of these players either. 

Well if he can bring the ball up and get us into our offense that would be enough until we land an official pg in Lander possibly in 2021...I wouldn’t call Green a pg either but he can get us into our offense...but you may be right...maybe he can’t handle that...just saw some reports calling him a combo guard. 

Indiana Elite 2020 won both pool games today in Chicago.  

They won the first game 73-23 and the second game 87-32.  

Here are some highlights.

• Leal #3
  • Lander #4
  • Galloway #32

Game 1 (wearing white)

https://www.ballertv.com/stream-highlights/indiana-elite-2020-triumphant-over-tnbc-elite-73-23?sport=basketball

Game 2 (still wearing white).  This is a really, really poorly edited highlight reel.

https://www.ballertv.com/stream-highlights/indiana-elite-2020-emerges-victorious-in-matchup-against-wi-surge-17u-davis-87-32?sport=basketball

Indiana Elite 2020 won both pool games today in Chicago.  

They won the first game 73-23 and the second game 87-32.  

Here are some highlights.

• Leal #3
  • Lander #4
  • Galloway #32

Game 1 (wearing white)

https://www.ballertv.com/stream-highlights/indiana-elite-2020-triumphant-over-tnbc-elite-73-23?sport=basketball

Game 2 (still wearing white).  This is a really, really poorly edited highlight reel.

https://www.ballertv.com/stream-highlights/indiana-elite-2020-emerges-victorious-in-matchup-against-wi-surge-17u-davis-87-32?sport=basketball

Wow...I think my church league team could put up more than 23 points and these are elite AAU teams?

11 hours ago, dgambill said:

Wow...I think my church league team could put up more than 23 points and these are elite AAU teams?

No they are not.  This is a multi-city qualifying weekend and basically any adidas affiliated team can enter with hope it can qualify for the July summer championship.  Yesterday's games were cupcakes pure and simple.  Today should be a little better with a tournament bracket format and only the best teams from Saturday participating.  The D1 Minnesota squad (Ben Carlson, Kendall Brown and Dawson Garcia) also advanced and could possibly face off against the Indiana Elite team today.  

1 hour ago, IU4Ever said:

No they are not.  This is a multi-city qualifying weekend and basically any adidas affiliated team can enter with hope it can qualify for the July summer championship.  Yesterday's games were cupcakes pure and simple.  Today should be a little better with a tournament bracket format and only the best teams from Saturday participating.  The D1 Minnesota squad (Ben Carlson, Kendall Brown and Dawson Garcia) also advanced and could possibly face off against the Indiana Elite team today.  

Thanks for the "intel".  Much appreciated.

By the way, in case I have not told you so, already.  I really like your user name. Thanks for being a member of Hoosier Sports Nation.  And your willingness to share "intel". 

4 hours ago, IU4Ever said:

Yeah I was saying in another thread it’s probably why coaches don’t look at the stats so much...they care more about the individual matchups. Just like in HS these kids score 35 a game against poor competition but only may play a handful of games against meaningful competition as far as being able to evaluate D1 prospects. That said it makes for building good highlight reels for these kids lol.

As I mentioned yesterday, Indiana Elite did indeed end up facing D1 Minnesota for the weekend championship in Chicago.  Both teams banged up and tired and they mutually agreed to forego playing the final game - would have been their 6th game in 2 days.  The IE team is 16-3 this AAU season.

Indiana had a 19-point lead in the first half, but eventually lost to Kentucky  115 to 104  in the junior all star game over the weekend.

Of note:

Trey Galloway 13 points.  Shot 6 for 14.

Anthony Leal 11 points.  Shot 3 for 9.

Nijel Pack 5 points.  Shot 1 for 10.

Star article, with a box score link at the bottom:

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2019/06/02/indiana-junior-all-stars-drop-opener-kentucky-115-104/1324153001/

Losing to Kentucky should never, ever happen when it's our best high schoolers versus their best high schoolers, no matter what the class (in this case outgoing juniors, incoming seniors).

Looks like they just didn’t bring the energy out in the second half...all star games generally are about how hard you get kids to play...more so than talent...but that said we always have more talent but we just don’t get up for these games the way we used to when there was a UK/IU rivalry.

On 5/27/2019 at 12:16 PM, IU4Ever said:

As I mentioned yesterday, Indiana Elite did indeed end up facing D1 Minnesota for the weekend championship in Chicago.  Both teams banged up and tired and they mutually agreed to forego playing the final game - would have been their 6th game in 2 days.  The IE team is 16-3 this AAU season.

Based on this and your other post about legit teams facing/destroying cupcakes trying to qualify, adidas really should rethink that tournament. The best matchup/championship was not played yet 72-23 and 87-32 games were? Silly. 

1 hour ago, cybergates said:

Based on this and your other post about legit teams facing/destroying cupcakes trying to qualify, adidas really should rethink that tournament. The best matchup/championship was not played yet 72-23 and 87-32 games were? Silly. 

This was referred to as a regional qualifier and I believe there were at least 3 other cities that hosted a qualifier.  It was open to any adidas affiliated program that wanted to make an attempt to qualify for the adidas summer championship.   Not the best analogy but it's similar to golfers playing in U.S. Open qualifiers hoping to make it to the actual tournament.  A bone adidas can throw at its participating programs.

3 hours ago, cybergates said:

I think once the best teams had won enough games to qualify they no longer needed to keep playing. Does seem silly but for those non-top teams it was their chance to qualify. That said if I'm a scout there is absolutely NOTHING I can take from that tournament and likely no reason to even go watch the games due to the quality of competition. Like I said in another post...it's why you have to be careful just looking at stats on the AAU circuit...the numbers can be very deceiving. It's more about matchups where some of these big name kids get to play against each other and what they do then as opposed to overall numbers.

Archived