It seems so strange to be thinking about the year 2020.

Time surely does fly by, it seems just a few years ago people were stressing about Y2K

I remember thinking we'd have flying cars or teleportation by now, what were some of your wishful visions of the future when younger?

(Other than a few more banners of course)

While some of the wilder ideas are still in waiting, technology has risen for the most part and even surpassed many expectation of the future! For me I'm still waiting for the holodeck that Start Trek promised where I can go and play video games for real!!!

12 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I had visions of taking over for Hugh Heffner when he passed.  

True story.  Heff was in Colorado visting a friend of mine , just weeks before Heff's passing.  And then, just days before Heff's passing, my friend and Heff met up at the Hard Rock in Las Vegas. 

I had the privilege and honor of actually knowing my great-grandmother.  "Great Ma" as I called her was born in 1892.  As a kid I was fascinated about what she had witnessed in her lifetime.  An automobile was a novelty when she was young, she traveled by horse and buggy.  Radios were something rich people had as were "record players".  People had ice boxes.  Just listening to her talk was mind boggling about how things were then as to how they were now(1978).  I wonder what "Great Ma" would say if she was alive today?

On 4/26/2018 at 10:29 AM, ColtsIUDomer said:

It seems so strange to be thinking about the year 2020.

Time surely does fly by, it seems just a few years ago people were stressing about Y2K

I remember thinking we'd have flying cars or teleportation by now, what were some of your wishful visions of the future when younger?

(Other than a few more banners of course)

Cubs World Series Champs. Since I crossed that one off. The show Black Mirror shows some artificial intelligence that blows the mind. Another wishful vision...cures for cancer. 

5 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I remember watching the Jetsons when I was a kid and thinking "flying cars and talking to people on video screens...that will never happen!"

The whole while I am expecting "Cogswell Cogs" and "Spacely Sprockets"!

We've been able to make flying cars for years, but I'm sure there are all kinds of logistical hurdles to jump through before flying cars start "hitting the road."

It really is remarkable some of the things that are around today.  I really feel like anything can be built these days, they just aren't commercially available due to the costs.  Look at some of the things at this year's Consumer Electronics Show.  Its getting pretty crazy what is actually out there.

I have a grandma who is 88 and my wifes grandpa is I think 92.  They both grew up on farms.  They didnt have electricity or indoor plumbing and they experienced the great depression. I wonder what it must feel like to grow up like that and see all the things that exist today. 

My uncle and I built my first desktop computer in 1996. Giant monitor and giant tower and all the accessories.  Now I carry one in my pocket. Pretty wild. 

Archived