Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Not sure if this is the wrong area to post this, if so I apologize.  

 

1st scenario here(Assumption Morgan returns and Romeo doesn't choose IU):

PG - Durham/RP

SG - Green/ Anderson

SF - Hunter/McRoberts

PF - Smith/Thompson/ Forrester

C - Morgan/Davis/Moore
 

2nd scenario here(Assumption Morgan returns and Romeo chooses IU):

PG - Durham/RP

SG - Romeo/Green/Anderson

SF - Hunter/McRoberts

PF - Smith/Thompson/Forrester

C - Morgan/Davis/Moore

 

 

Whats everyone else thoughts?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting, you're the first person I've ever seen that has Durham as a starting point guard. Curious your rationale there? Every debate I've ever seen has been Green vs. Phinisee for that spot. 

In the general topic of lineups for next season, I think the entire debate is framed by how people think of Morgan and Smith. I'm in the group that Morgan and Smith should both start and that their biggest mismatches are when Morgan is a 5 and Smith is a 4. There are others that feel we need a "true 5" (if that even exists anymore) and that Morgan should be a 4. IMO everyone's lineup are shifted based on how they feel about that. 

For me, I would go:

Scenario 1: This lineup is difficult. Honestly, IU is kind of screwed if Langford doesn't come, given that all of the grad transfer 2's have already moved on.

RP

Green

Hunter/McRoberts (can't decide. I don't see how McRoberts doesn't play, but without Langford we're really going to need scoring)

Smith

Morgan

Scenario 2:

Green

Langford

McRoberts

Smith

Morgan

Edited by BGleas
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we'd be better off trying to look at the depth chart vs starting lineup, given how archie tinkers around with the starters constantly. But even that's going to be a shot in the dark.

I also think we have a very unconventional depth chart that's based on 3 buckets.

Guards: Green, Durham, Romeo, RP, Anderson

3/4 tweeners: McRoberts, Smith, Hunter, Thompson

4/5 tweeners: Morgan, Davis, Forrester, Moore 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Max said:

I think we'd be better off trying to look at the depth chart vs starting lineup, given how archie tinkers around with the starters constantly. But even that's going to be a shot in the dark.

I also think we have a very unconventional depth chart that's based on 3 buckets.

Guards: Green, Durham, Romeo, RP, Anderson

3/4 tweeners: McRoberts, Smith, Hunter, Thompson

4/5 tweeners: Morgan, Davis, Forrester, Moore 

Not to nitpick... but Thompson isn't a 3/4 tweener

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Not to nitpick... but Thompson isn't a 3/4 tweener

Not nitpicky at all! I can just see at his size 6'8 being the smaller of the other front court players on the floor, which would in theory slot him in as a 3 even though he may not be a true 3.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Interesting, you're the first person I've ever seen that has Durham as a starting point guard. Curious your rationale there? Every debate I've ever seen has been Green vs. Phinisee for that spot. 

In the general topic of lineups for next season, I think the entire debate is framed by how people think of Morgan and Smith. I'm in the group that Morgan and Smith should both start and that their biggest mismatches are when Morgan is a 5 and Smith is a 4. There are others that feel we need a "true 5" (if that even exists anymore) and that Morgan should be a 4. IMO everyone's lineup are shifted based on how they feel about that. 

For me, I would go:

Scenario 1: This lineup is difficult. Honestly, IU is kind of screwed if Langford doesn't come, given that all of the grad transfer 2's have already moved on.

RP

Green

Hunter/McRoberts (can't decide. I don't see how McRoberts doesn't play, but without Langford we're really going to need scoring)

Smith

Morgan

Scenario 2:

Green

Langford

McRoberts

Smith

Morgan

I am only giving Durham the advantage as our "Starting PG" since he has a year under his belt in college and may understand how CAM wants the team to play.  I think Durham thinks of his teammates before himself, whereas Green is more of a shooter type then looking for others, plus I think Durham is a better defender(slightly).  Now add RP into the equation and it gets a little tricky, RP will be a heck of a PG for IU for the years to come, I think RP could over take Durham by the middle of the BIG Ten conference play, but the play at at the beginning of the Big Ten Conference play I think will determine the fate for who would start between RP vs Durham.  

 

As far as Morgan and Smith goes, I am all in for Smith at the 4 and Morgan at the 5.  They both can play down low, Smith can play a little further out then Morgan can but I anticipate Morgan expanding his game assuming he returns and becomes somewhat of a threat from outside of the paint.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Max said:

Not nitpicky at all! I can just see at his size 6'8 being the smaller of the other front court players on the floor, which would in theory slot him in as a 3 even though he may not be a true 3.

There's really no such thing as a "3" anymore. It's guards, wings, bigs. A tradition 2 and 3 are now basically wings. They're interchangeable. 

There's obviously some gray area, but I would go like:

Guards: Green, RP, Durham, Langford

Wings: McRoberts, Smith, Hunter, Anderson (again, there's gray area. Smith is more of a big/wing hybrid, where Anderson is probably more a guard/wing hybrid. You could really put Langford here too)

Bigs: Morgan, Thompson, Davis, Moore, Forrester (Again, gray area. Davis is solely a big. Morgan can be a big/wing hybrid, etc.)

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

I am only giving Durham the advantage as our "Starting PG" since he has a year under his belt in college and may understand how CAM wants the team to play.  I think Durham thinks of his teammates before himself, whereas Green is more of a shooter type then looking for others, plus I think Durham is a better defender(slightly).  Now add RP into the equation and it gets a little tricky, RP will be a heck of a PG for IU for the years to come, I think RP could over take Durham by the middle of the BIG Ten conference play, but the play at at the beginning of the Big Ten Conference play I think will determine the fate for who would start between RP vs Durham.  

 

As far as Morgan and Smith goes, I am all in for Smith at the 4 and Morgan at the 5.  They both can play down low, Smith can play a little further out then Morgan can but I anticipate Morgan expanding his game assuming he returns and becomes somewhat of a threat from outside of the paint.  

Gotcha. Thanks for the explanation. Disagree, as I think Green is a point as evidenced by that 4-week stretch in February where he was clearly the best point on the roster, and I don't really see Durham as a Big Ten level starting point guard, but I appreciate your explanation. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Gotcha. Thanks for the explanation. Disagree, as I think Green is a point as evidenced by that 4-week stretch in February where he was clearly the best point on the roster, and I don't really see Durham as a Big Ten level starting point guard, but I appreciate your explanation. 

Hey no problem, like hearing what others have to think about this kinda stuff.  I can easily see Green being our starting PG for sure.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I just don't see Davis fitting. He's simply too slow. 

At the very least we need a hulk who can guard the Kaleb Wesson's of the college world.  I think Thompson and Morgan could do that also, but wouldn't want to have Morgan get some fouls trying to do it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, slojoe said:

At the very least we need a hulk who can guard the Kaleb Wesson's of the college world.  I think Thompson and Morgan could do that also, but wouldn't want to have Morgan get some fouls trying to do it.

But for every Wesson there are 5 stretch 5s that he can't guard 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mkaser said:

Who do you guys think will start, Hunter or McRoberts?

Another good debate. Assuming Langford comes, I have a hard time seeing two freshmen starting on the wings. Also, I think if you go Green at point and McRoberts opposite Langford on the other wing you're doing a good job of protecting Langford defensively and allowing him to ease into getting comfortable on that end. McRoberts could take a ton of pressure off Langford defensively.

The flip side is, how ready is Hunter. If he's an immediate impact guy, which many think he could be, then it might be tough to keep him off the floor. I could see Hunter coming along next season sort of how Smith did last season. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

IMO, if Hunter can guard, then he will start.  He’s an offensive option/playmaker that McRoberts isn’t, and that’s something that was sorely missed last year.

his ball handling has to be there as well 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

IMO, if Hunter can guard, then he will start.  He’s an offensive option/playmaker that McRoberts isn’t, and that’s something that was sorely missed last year.

I can't really comment on Hunter as I haven't seen him play other than videos. So no idea how ready he is immediately. But, I think a guy like McRoberts gets even better when surrounded by better talent. He'll take a ton of pressure off Langford defensively, he does so many little things (offensive rebounds, even just back-tipping missed shots on offensive, passing, movement, etc.) offensively that don't always go in the box score, and if he can reliably knock down open 3's, then it's a no-brainer. 

But again, I haven't seen Hunter so could totally change my thought process after seeing him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh there are SOOOOOO many what-ifs here!!!  But here we go.......

No Romeo w/ Morgan-

Morgan, Smith, McBob, (good)Green, RP

Romeo and Morgan

Morgan, Smith, McBob, Romeo, (good) Green

Romeo no Morgan

(good) Green, Romeo, McBob, Smith, Elimination Chamber cage match for the "5"

No Romeo No Morgan

(good) Green, RP, McBob, Smith, TLC match for the "5"

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, mkaser said:

Who do you guys think will start, Hunter or McRoberts?

To start the year, McRoberts.  I think outside of a guy like Romeo Archie is going to take his time on starting freshman.  If you recall, many on this board were wanting Al in the starting lineup early last season a few games before Archie started him.  (Obviously he didn't stay in the starting lineup, but he was there a few games),  Several of us wanted Smith getting more minutes long before he was.  It wasn't until Davis got hurt he was moved into the starting lineup and started seeing increased minutes.  

Nothing against McRoberts because I love his hustle and get the dirty work done mentality, but I hope by late December heading into B1G play that Hunter has shown that he deserves that spot.   

Edit:  This is also why I think Green starts ahead of RP at pg to start the year.  I hope we get the Green of that four week or so stretch he had last year and not the out of control Green we saw at times.  If we get good Devonte, RP comes off the bench all year.  If bad Devonte is the norm, it hastens RP taking his spot if he is ready.  

Edited by Parakeet Jones
Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting putting Green at the 2, it reminded of reading this article awhile back that referred to him adjusting to playing PG at IU.  I was surprised and didn't realize he was more of a 2 guard in HS.  

https://www.newsday.com/sports/college/college-basketball/long-island-s-devonte-green-still-adjusting-to-pace-of-play-at-indiana-1.16981346

"

There has always been a dichotomy to Green’s game. In high school he was more of a two-guard than a one; in college he knows he’ll likely have more success if he embraces the role of playmaker. Even if that sometimes goes against his instincts.

“Ever since I came to college, I’ve been adjusting to the point guard role,” Green said. “But the scoring mentality doesn’t go away. I think it comes naturally. Getting my teammates involved has definitely been a part of the growing process.”

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...