8 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Nope, my mom! She's often there, and just spoke with DD. He's doing well.

That's good.  I thought it might be the same person who snapped a pick of Billy Donovan's car in the Assembly Hall parking lot last year.

To me Davis showed how important he was and can be when we he was playing vs Duke...minus the foul trouble. Very, very important summer for Davis in my opinion. Has the tools/talent. Time to put the work in because by all accounts our staff has more talent on the way.

19 hours ago, Drroogh said:

I'm hopeful, but he was already limited concerning his quickness before the injury. Achilles injuries almost never lead to something better. Again I'm still hopeful but I think he is going to need to make big improvements everywhere he can.

You're right... but the thing is... quickness, agility, jumping, running and cutting were never a part of his game. So, how much will it really limit his game? 

7 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

You're right... but the thing is... quickness, agility, jumping, running and cutting were never a part of his game. So, how much will it really limit his game? 

I guess that was what I was trying to say. He needs to make improvements in the other areas.

On 4/28/2018 at 1:14 PM, cohete15 said:

You're right on all points, but then he was never 100%, missed the whole summer session before last season, and his ability to impact the game was nonetheless seen in the Duke game. This injury and his ability to bounce back from it are real question marks, but he does have an entire summer ahead of him. Under CAM, we run a lot of half-court sets, and particularly in that system Davis, if healthy/fully recovered and in shape, can impact the game in many ways, he is a highly skilled big, though not an athletic/fast big. How he recovers and what he is able to do will be things to watch.

On 4/27/2018 at 7:12 AM, Hoosierhoopster said:

And he missed last summer’s workouts - he just got out of the boot, but he should now be able to get in the full summer session. Getting into shape early is s good start 

Not to be a know-it-all, but wasn’t last summer the year that Archie and Cliff really worked hard with Davis on his conditioning and he lost a ton of weight?  The summer before his rising freshman year, he stayed back in Colorado so he didn’t spend the time with the IU staff. 

I have always felt that Davis is right out of Central casting as an old school big, and those guys often took the most time improving.  Kennedy Meeks might be a recent comp and he was tough his senior year.  

With Davis, he’s lost all this time working on his game but also his conditioning.   From last year, he still wasn’t there.  And, he needs to really improve his rebounding in view of his size.  He needs to be quicker to the ball on the boards.  I wonder how much this setback will hurt in these areas where he’s lost precious developmental time.  

8 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Not to be a know-it-all, but wasn’t last summer the year that Archie and Cliff really worked hard with Davis on his conditioning and he lost a ton of weight?  The summer before his rising freshman year, he stayed back in Colorado so he didn’t spend the time with the IU staff. 

That is correct. Stayed in Colorado as a freshman to work on his academics, as well as to heal a wrist that kept him out of All-Star games.  How soon we forget.

636451396558199473-image1.jpeg

15 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I have always felt that Davis is right out of Central casting as an old school big, and those guys often took the most time improving.  Kennedy Meeks might be a recent comp and he was tough his senior year.  

With Davis, he’s lost all this time working on his game but also his conditioning.   From last year, he still wasn’t there.  And, he needs to really improve his rebounding in view of his size.  He needs to be quicker to the ball on the boards.  I wonder how much this setback will hurt in these areas where he’s lost precious developmental time.  

Yep that’s right thx for the reminder — but while he was getting in shape last summer as I recall he then had some nagging injury setbacks and then ultimately the injury that knocked him in the fall. Maybe this summer is more like last with the chance to get healthy and grow his game —the point I am trying to make is more about his  skill level and how he can be utilized in CAM’s system when healthy. He’sgot ground to make up for sure, but he has the ability to impact the game, when healthy and fit, in CAM’s system 

DD, no, not the talk-show idiot, but our big man, De’Ron, will not need to play the minutes moving forward he did last season with a very limited collection of bigs.  Nobody knows how his Achilles injury will affect him the upcoming season, but even if he returns slowly or doesn’t return to where he was, his contributions will not be as essential as last year: Forrester, Race, Juwan, and TBD, Cliff.  Not to mention, that with each passing season the roster will be shaped by what Archie deems vital, not the inherited roster limitations.  

Mile, I know he’s your guy, but I do not see him having much of an impact moving forward.  

41 minutes ago, Fundamentals said:

Mile, I know he’s your guy, but I do not see him having much of an impact moving forward.  

It's reality.  Achilles are no laughing matter.  Everybody has their own individual recovery time.  Most take a long time.  With the supporting cast this year, Archie should be able to bring De'Ron back slowly, rather than having to force the issue.  Which could mean we don't see a fully functioning De'Ron, until late in the season, or even worse yet, till his Senior year.  It's happened to others before.  Then again, some have come back in remarkable fast time.   At this point it's up in the air. 

Archived