Jalen Lecque Cuts IU

dwtaylor1055

5 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I don't really care what you think but it is totally the truth.  My dream was to play for IU and play in the NCAA tournament and not the NBA.

It would be funny when you passed on being a first round draft pick after your junior year and then tore your ACL in November of your senior year.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, FW_Hoosier said:

It would be funny when you passed on being a first round draft pick after your junior year and then tore your ACL in November of your senior year.

Some kids nowadays have insurance policies, so they'd still get a pretty good payday.

4 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

You mean like how OG's career was ruined by a torn ACL, oh that's right it did not effect it at all..  I find it funny that for 60 years players stayed 4 years and was able to have a long pro careers.  It sure ruined guys like Duncan and Robinson, Hill, Laetner and could go on and on about how players stayed 4 years and still ahd great careers.  What has changed the last 20 years that has made kids so impatient about staying in school.  The rookie contracts are a lot less now so it is just not about the money.  I think it is the instant gratification generation and the entitlement they think they are owed.

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Money is not everything and it does not guarantee happiness.  How many people have actually lost a career after an injury in college.  With how great the care is now there are not that many career ending injuries because of the advanced technology.

Doesn't guarantee happiness but it sets you up for success. Of course, you can be successful without money but you get a huge head start with it. 

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You mean like how OG's career was ruined by a torn ACL, oh that's right it did not effect it at all..  I find it funny that for 60 years players stayed 4 years and was able to have a long pro careers.  It sure ruined guys like Duncan and Robinson, Hill, Laetner and could go on and on about how players stayed 4 years and still ahd great careers.  What has changed the last 20 years that has made kids so impatient about staying in school.  The rookie contracts are a lot less now so it is just not about the money.  I think it is the instant gratification generation and the entitlement they think they are owed.

OG’s situation is completely irrelevant because he wasn’t going to be a first round pick if he had left after his freshman year.  But since you mentioned him, the fact that his knee injury caused him to fall to the 23rd pick meant that his contract is half of what the 10th pick in the draft got.  Good lord your opinion on this is dense.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The money in pro sports became generational changing money in the last 20 years; that's what changed. It isn't about what you can accomplish as a pro, it's about what you can do for your family.

13 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

The money in pro sports became generational changing money in the last 20 years; that's what changed. It isn't about what you can accomplish as a pro, it's about what you can do for your family.

The rookie contract today is a lot lower than what it was in the 90's.  Glenn Robinson signed a contract for over 100 million dollars.

13 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

You disagree that money gives you a head start in life? 

I disagree that just going pro early will guarantee you a good head start.  If you go and you are  out of the league in 3 years and go broke after a few more years what good did that contract do you.

16 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Exactly. This is why kids having been going pro early more regularly over the last 20 years when it was less common in the 40 years IU Scott refers to. I'm 41 and when I grew up dreaming of playing for IU and in the NBA it was all about basketball. Kids now are dreaming about the money and playing in the NBA more than just basketball.

6 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I don't really care what you think but it is totally the truth.  My dream was to play for IU and play in the NCAA tournament and not the NBA.

I think you deserve a title like Mile got. Maybe either Old School Purist or Stuck in the '70's. I don't know about you but I've had title envy ever since Mile got his.

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The rookie contract today is a lot lower than what it was in the 90's.  Glenn Robinson signed a contract for over 100 million dollars.

It isn't just about the rookie contract. Magic Johnson only earned $25M in his entire basketball career. The average player back in the day wasn't setting up their family for generations like an average player can today. 

You can deny that, but you're literally just denying an objective fact. 

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

I think you deserve a title like Mile got. Maybe either Old School Purist or Stuck in the '70's. I don't know about you but I've had title envy ever since Mile got his.

What would mine say? 

"He's a jackass, but he's our jackass...unfortunately" 

43 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I disagree that just going pro early will guarantee you a good head start.  If you go and you are  out of the league in 3 years and go broke after a few more years what good did that contract do you.

Losing a ton of money early in life is sometimes the best teacher. Being broke at age 28 isn't the worst thing in the world...but having that as a life lesson so early? Priceless.

PS....I'm all for kids getting their guarantees. Plenty of people who earn $100k per year over 30 years never even sniff 7 figure savings because of what they spend. They can setup themselves for life (if handled correctly) all at once.  I like that option. Just like Victor said when he signed his first NBA contract I asked him what he bought....he said a savings account. I see Baker Mayfield echoed the same words yesterday too.

59 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I hereby dub thee PG Hater Extraordinaire.

hahaha

Oh man did I just set myself up for a slew of....

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

This is all a matter of opinion, but I'm with you here on this point, fwiw. 

It's a really tough decision for many reasons whether or not to hire an agent/go pro, if you have the choice, and often especially if you know you're going to get drafted. There are lots of examples of guys who stayed an extra year or so and it served them well (I'd say Cody fits that example, but there are better examples) and lots and lots of examples of guys who went pro and fell out of the League (among the many, always though Haston's decision was a bad one, first-rounder and done). The are multiple flip sides here, development with an NBA program (just look at OG, who I thought should have come back, I was wrong), the opportunity for real, REAL guaranteed money if you're looking at the first round, avoiding the possibility of injury or falloff in play killing your draft stock/opportunities, just the guarantee that you've made it to the League, the dream of almost all of these guys, etc.

Archived