Memorial Stadium through the years

10 hours ago, rico said:

Wow.......amazing.

I agree.  Finally... not only a stadium to be proud of.  But one that fits being a B1G stadium as well.

And for the future ?  Studies have been done.  And the stands on either side, East or West, can be expanded upward for additional seating, when the need arises. 

10 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I agree.  Finally... not only a stadium to be proud of.  But one that fits being a B1G stadium as well.

And for the future ?  Studies have been done.  And the stands on either side, East or West, can be expanded upward for additional seating, when the need arises. 

Out of curiosity, after the SEZ, what will the seating capacity be?

6 minutes ago, rico said:

Out of curiosity, after the SEZ, what will the seating capacity be?

Current seating before the SEZ completion is 52929. Not sure what it will be when the SEZ is complete.  Maybe someone can help us out on that.  I do know that the SEZ was not designed so much for additional seating as it was for other things, and of course to completely enclose Memorial.  Another thing is the video board in the SEZ is going to be considerably larger than the big one that was installed in the NEZ. 

6 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Current seating before the SEZ completion is 52929. Not sure what it will be when the SEZ is complete.  Maybe someone can help us out on that.  I do know that the SEZ was not designed so much for additional seating as it was for other things, and of course to completely enclose Memorial.  Another thing is the video board in the SEZ is going to be considerably larger than the big one that was installed in the NEZ. 

Suhweet!

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Thanks for capturing that.  It looks beautiful.

You are welcome.  And I agree.  I found other pics.... but was not able to get them to post.  There's like 3 sites out there that have been following the construction, since inception. But again, I failed..... to bookmark them.  And recent Google searches are coming up empty for me. 

3 hours ago, Kodos said:

Looks good. That's going to be a big scoreboard up top, right?

Yes.  But they refer to it as a video board. My understanding is that it will have built in speakers, as  well as built in tv cameras..... which at some point in time will be part of a  360 degree views of the action...... similar to Assembly Hall. 

This story from 2015 talks about the 360 degree cameras being installed  in Memorial Stadium.... as part of his generous gift to IU :

IU graduate Mark Cuban donates $5 million to IU

Wow, a construction project on time!  Kudos all around.  IMO it was well thought out for our particular needs.  It looks great, but more importantly, it has great utility.   

The B1G Network money has been a boon for our capital projects.  

The baseball run got me thinking.  I know we have a nice, new ballpark and a good program.  But, how do our baseball training and other goodies compare?  I read some place that the top five Indiana high school baseball recruits all committed to Louisville (although the Schnell kid will no doubt go pro as he’s expected to get a multi-million dollar signing bonus).  Kentucky has nabbed their fair share too.   I wonder if baseball may be coming around again for capital projects, if helpful?   We aren’t trying to compete with Gainesville or Austin as baseball factories, but we can really take it to another level as a northern school.  

25 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Wow, a construction project on time!  Kudos all around.  IMO it was well thought out for our particular needs.  It looks great, but more importantly, it has great utility.   

The B1G Network money has been a boon for our capital projects.  

The baseball run got me thinking.  I know we have a nice, new ballpark and a good program.  But, how do our baseball training and other goodies compare?  I read some place that the top five Indiana high school baseball recruits all committed to Louisville (although the Schnell kid will no doubt go pro as he’s expected to get a multi-million dollar signing bonus).  Kentucky has nabbed their fair share too.   I wonder if baseball may be coming around again for capital projects, if helpful?   We aren’t trying to compete with Gainesville or Austin as baseball factories, but we can really take it to another level as a northern school.  

Bob.  Let me put it this way.  While IU baseball was plodding along at Sembower, across the street from McNutt., the program failed to attract players, and basically was nothing more than a club sport.  That's my opinion, and others may argue differently.  That's ok.  And my apologies to all those that toiled at Sembower. But, at the time of being a student, and attending many of IU's baseball games.... I had seen many Little League fields in NWI that outclassed Sembower.

Now... with Kaufman, IU has not only been able to attract quality players, but has turned into a winning program.  Even making it to the College Baseball World Series, in one year after Kaufman was built.  I think that show what having a first class facility can mean to a school and a program. 

And that is why, I believe the improvements to Memorial Stadium will pay dividends in terms of recruiting in the years to come.  Having one of the, if the largest workout facility in the nation, is amazing. 

Just for fun. A pic of the original Memorial Stadium.  Where the Arboretum is now, next to the Wells Library. Was still standing when I was a student.  Had to walk around it to get to classes.  And was where I went to watch the Little 500.

P0080139

• 3 weeks later...

Archived