MLB discussion

rico

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, rico said:

At some point in time the Cubs are gonna have to get some pitchers.  But I agree, just don't see Theo  letting Kyle go.

Pitching will be signed through FA's. But with Kyle they need to let him play every day. Even against lefties. Thats the only way he will get better in the field. Maddon lost trust in him during the playoffs after he booted the flyball, which isn't good. If they aren't going to play him every day they might as well trade him. After a while of that Kyle may ask for a trade or leave on his own anyway.

6 hours ago, Indykev said:

Pitching will be signed through FA's. But with Kyle they need to let him play every day. Even against lefties. Thats the only way he will get better in the field. Maddon lost trust in him during the playoffs after he booted the flyball, which isn't good. If they aren't going to play him every day they might as well trade him. After a while of that Kyle may ask for a trade or leave on his own anyway.

Well signing FA's might the answer right now, but the Cubbies need to get some young pitchers in the minors.  Maybe someone can tell me what they in their system right now?

1 minute ago, rico said:

Well signing FA's might the answer right now, but the Cubbies need to get some young pitchers in the minors.  Maybe someone can tell me what they in their system right now?

They dont have any players in the top 100 in the minors. They just promoted or traded every good player they had. I was listening to Maddon at the winter meetings raving about the work Schwarber was putting in this winter. Lost weight and working out hard. Said Kyle would be much better in the field because of it.

3 hours ago, rico said:

Here is a link to their top 30 prospects right now.

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2017?list=chc

Some are high on Alzolay, Oscar de la Cruz, Tseng (possible #5 starter), and Maples (potential reliever on Cubs for 2018).

Also Cubs just signed Smyly who is coming off Tommy John surgery last June, so he probably won't be available until the end of this season or 2019.

14 minutes ago, rico said:

Think the Cubs are in play?

I haven't read anything to indicate they are but you know Theo plays most things close to the vest. My guess is that they will roll with Almora next year and go after another starter and reliever. They have been linked to several starters now (Cobb, Salazar, and Duffy). The craziest thing that keeps popping up is that the Cubs are going to go after Bryce Harper next offseason so they don't want to take on too much salary this year (not sure I buy that but who knows...Harper and Bryant are good friends going back to their Vegas days).

28 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

The craziest thing that keeps popping up is that the Cubs are going to go after Bryce Harper next offseason so they don't want to take on too much salary this year (not sure I buy that but who knows...Harper and Bryant are good friends going back to their Vegas days).

Now that is crazy!!!!!!

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I'm glad to see the Reds are letting it all hang out in an effort to improve upon yet another last place finish.  :coffee:

Don't worry there is plenty of time to make some moves so has to guarantee another last place finish.  And if they are shrewd enough with their deals.......maybe, just maybe they can secure the worst record in all of MLB.O.o

3 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I read about the injury...that is the first I saw that MLB was investigating. I wonder if he will live up to the hype. I remember when Daisuke came over...

Hype or not, I wanted to see him pitch and then hit HR's.  When was the last time MLB had an every day player that also was a starting pitcher?

45 minutes ago, rico said:

Hype or not, I wanted to see him pitch and then hit HR's.  When was the last time MLB had an every day player that also was a starting pitcher?

Babe Ruth? Ha...I have no idea who was the last to do it. It would be interesting if he can pull it off.  I just remember the pitchers who failed and became position players like Rick Ankiel. I believe Dave Kingman was also a failed pitcher.

8 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Babe Ruth? Ha...I have no idea who was the last to do it. It would be interesting if he can pull it off.  I just remember the pitchers who failed and became position players like Rick Ankiel. I believe Dave Kingman was also a failed pitcher.

Babe Ruth is the only guy that comes close, I suppose.  But I don't think he was in the line-up every day while he was a starting pitcher for Boston.  

Archived