MLB discussion

rico

26 minutes ago, Naturalhoosier said:

True dat.  1-5 against the Indians isn't impressive.  Exercise those demons in the playoffs!

Best of luck to your team.  I don't follow Houston at all, but with the addition of Verlander I imagine their staff is pretty well set up for a short series.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, rico said:

Best of luck to your team.  I don't follow Houston at all, but with the addition of Verlander I imagine their staff is pretty well set up for a short series.

Thanks.

And I agree with your statement, assuming the bats don't take a slumber.  Our #2 guy (now our #3 guy) has suffered some arm fatigue as of late and has missed a couple starts.  I'm hoping it's getting him some solid rest prior to the PO's.  Keuchel was livid when the trade deadline came and went and the office made no moves.  This took a toll in the locker room and you could see it in their play.  Once they made the move for Verlander, it was a complete 180.  Like a breath of fresh air.  He's been lights out to boot in his 3 starts (plus he brings Kate Upton to the games!!!).  He's 1-2 versus Cleveland this year but had two quality starts against them.  In one loss he pitched 6 2/3, giving up 1 run.  The lack of offense killed it for him.  So there's hope!

The city of Houston needs this.  Hell, I need this!  lol

4 minutes ago, Naturalhoosier said:

Thanks.

And I agree with your statement, assuming the bats don't take a slumber.  Our #2 guy (now our #3 guy) has suffered some arm fatigue as of late and has missed a couple starts.  I'm hoping it's getting him some solid rest prior to the PO's.  Keuchel was livid when the trade deadline came and went and the office made no moves.  This took a toll in the locker room and you could see it in their play.  Once they made the move for Verlander, it was a complete 180.  Like a breath of fresh air.  He's been lights out to boot in his 3 starts (plus he brings Kate Upton to the games!!!).  He's 1-2 versus Cleveland this year but had two quality starts against them.  In one loss he pitched 6 2/3, giving up 1 run.  The lack of offense killed it for him.  So there's hope!

The city of Houston needs this.  Hell, I need this!  lol

I understand.

When it comes to play-off baseball my thinking is pitching trumps hitting.  However in some cases it does not.

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't think Houston needs to worry about Cleveland when they're starting with Boston. You're pretty much starting in an 0-2 hole in a 5 game series because of Chris Sale...

That is assuming that Cleveland will have the best record........

2 hours ago, rico said:

But it is still an assumption.  And IIRC the Tribe only has a 2 game lead on Houston.

Cleveland is 16 games better in the second half and has an easier schedule to finish things out.  Considering the point I made was in response to an assumption that Houston ever even plays Cleveland I don't see the issue.  

18 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Cleveland is 16 games better in the second half and has an easier schedule to finish things out.  Considering the point I made was in response to an assumption that Houston ever even plays Cleveland I don't see the issue.  

No issue, but still an assumption.

On 9/23/2017 at 11:36 PM, KoB2011 said:

The AL is staring at the only teams with a winning record being the five playoff teams. Is that a reflection of weakness or strength from the teams at the top?

That is a good question.  I went and looked at the standings.  The AL does not have any horrid teams save the Tigers and the White Sox.  But they have been unloading.  So my thoughts are thoughts that is strengths at the top.

The Red Sox and the Astros will get to know each other really well.  They end the season on a 4 game stand in Boston.  All else being equal, they will turn around and play the divisional series starting in Houston.  Should be an intense matchup especially if there's a chance that Boston could pull the rug out from under Houston's home field advantage during that final series.

15 hours ago, Naturalhoosier said:

The Red Sox and the Astros will get to know each other really well.  They end the season on a 4 game stand in Boston.  All else being equal, they will turn around and play the divisional series starting in Houston.  Should be an intense matchup especially if there's a chance that Boston could pull the rug out from under Houston's home field advantage during that final series.

Think the Red Sox will be more likely to set their starters so Sale goes twice if necessary than worry about starting at Fenway. 

Archived