MLB discussion

rico

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I like where your heads at!!

And speaking of  weather. Denver is in 70's and 60's all week long....guess what. Cubs come to town and way below average temps and rain/snow chances this Friday and Saturday. We bring the weather everywhere.

2 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Cubs/Cards postponed. Will be a doubleheader in July. Are we on a record pace for rainouts/postponements? 

Worst weather I can ever remember.  Baseball is supposed to represent the onset of Spring.   It's not even fun to watch a game on TV that is played with clouds, cold, wind, and snow.  I can't imagine Anyone wanting to be in an outdoor stadium in the Midwest or Northeast right now.  MLB has to do something.  Teams are getting killed in attendance numbers because of the weather.

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Worst weather I can ever remember.  Baseball is supposed to represent the onset of Spring.   It's not even fun to watch a game on TV that is played with clouds, cold, wind, and snow.  I can't imagine Anyone wanting to be in an outdoor stadium in the Midwest or Northeast right now.  MLB has to do something.  Teams are getting killed in attendance numbers because of the weather.

I'll echo Anthony Rizzo. Here's my thoughts as only as it relates to Cubs. Start the season out West. 9-10 games vs Arizona, SD, LA....come home and do the home opener stuff that no one cares about except Wrigley bartenders/servers and send us to Milwaukee/Atlanta/Miami for another 9. This way we get 19 of first 22 games with what should be good weather. That should take us to at the very least April 25 range??

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'll echo Anthony Rizzo. Here's my thoughts as only as it relates to Cubs. Start the season out West. 9-10 games vs Arizona, SD, LA....come home and do the home opener stuff that no one cares about except Wrigley bartenders/servers and send us to Milwaukee/Atlanta/Miami for another 9. This way we get 19 of first 22 games with what should be good weather. That should take us to at the very least April 25 range??

The White Sox, Twins, Tigers, Indians, Reds, Pirates, Mets, Yankees, Red Sox, Royals, and Cardinals need a similar approach as well.  One problem with that approach is if a borderline contending team falls out of the race early because of all the early road games.  It doesn't matter for a terrible team like the Reds, who would be losing at most little league parks right now.  And, strong contenders such as the Cubs, Yankees, and Red Sox would probably survive against so many early road games.  But, for a team like the Twins, a slower than expected start could derail their season early.

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The White Sox, Twins, Tigers, Indians, Reds, Pirates, Mets, Yankees, Red Sox, Royals, and Cardinals need a similar approach as well.  One problem with that approach is if a borderline contending team falls out of the race early because of all the early road games.  It doesn't matter for a terrible team like the Reds, who would be losing at most little league parks right now.  And, strong contenders such as the Cubs, Yankees, and Red Sox would probably survive against so many early road games.  But, for a team like the Twins, a slower than expected start could derail their season early.

They will never do it due to $$, but  I really wish they would shorten the season back to say 154 games. Then they could start the season a week later. The weather can turn in late September/October as well, so ideally they could start a week later and end a week early and schedule a few double headers like they used to...but we know that will never happen. As bad as this start of the season has been weather wise, it is even worse during the playoffs sometimes when there is much more at stake and they are playing in 30 degrees and snow at the end of October and into November.

29 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

In my formula (and I didn't say them) I'm actually counting Cincy and St. Louis as better than average spring climates too. That makes 11 of 15 NL teams with a good chance of better weather....(Cubs, Pirates, Mets, Phillies being exceptions). There has to be a way to schedule better. 

PS...don't care about AL. Haha..

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

In my formula (and I didn't say them) I'm actually counting Cincy and St. Louis as better than average spring climates too. That makes 11 of 15 NL teams with a good chance of better weather....(Cubs, Pirates, Mets, Phillies being exceptions). There has to be a way to schedule better. 

PS...don't care about AL. Haha..

I would be willing to bet that Philly has better weather averages in April than Cincinnati does.

12 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I would be willing to bet that Philly has better weather averages in April than Cincinnati does.

Average temps says Cincy. But back to my point. MLB has the ability to massage the schedule to avoid the messes caused by early season weather and they continue to make common sense mistakes.

Twins and Cleveland have escaped the cold and gone to Puerto Rico to play 2 games.

With the financial difficulties the island has had recently, I hope they can afford to keep the stadium lights on for the entire games

7 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Average temps says Cincy. But back to my point. MLB has the ability to massage the schedule to avoid the messes caused by early season weather and they continue to make common sense mistakes.

The problem they have ran into is the play-offs.  Coupled with the fact they don't schedule doubleheaders anymore.  They can fix this but they choose not to.

15 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

How 'bout those Red Sox? 

I think I read recently where 5 or 6 of the Red Sox starters are still Theo guys. Amazing start for them. Similar to 2016 Cubs start. Betts is one of my favorites. If ever have time google Mookie Betts Theo Epstein Neuroscouting. Discusses the proprietary programs Theo and his gang used in 2011 to identify hitters.

On 4/19/2018 at 10:07 AM, IU Scott said:

About time but they need an overhaul of the whole organization.  They are terrible at player development and they need to fire the whole scouting department and start completely over.

On a side note.....the Reds did develop some talent, the players just play for other teams now!  Let me see....Cueto, Leake, Frazier, Bruce, Cozart, Chapman.  Just to name a few.  

Archived