rico

So, which was the most egregious play?

-Rizzo taking out the Pirates' catcher 

or

-Wilson's middle of the ice hit on the Vegas player

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Schwarber's defense has actually been decent all year.  When looking at advanced stats, he ranks very well so far this year, but a lot of those stats need a couple years to balance out.  Still a good sign though.  His UZR is 11th among all OF, his UZR/150 is 2nd, and his statcast Outs Above Average of -1 (slightly below average) which doesn't take into account his arm at all.

It will be interesting to follow those numbers throughout the year and into next year.  I'm thinking he's at least an average outfielder, and his arm might put him just slightly above average.  Definitely not the detriment he was a couple years ago.

I think part of Schwarber's problem is that early on he made some real bad plays out there where he's looked clueless.  Like this, and this, and this.  People still remember those plays, but those mistakes keep getting less and less all the time.

On 5/15/2018 at 6:57 PM, Leathernecks said:

Wild play just happened in the Cubs and Braves game. Freeman stole second, ball kicked off his leg into left. Went to 3rd and got sent home. Schwarber's throw is caught by Contreras as Freeman is basically stepping on his glove. I think if Contreras isn't there to catch it, Freeman probably steps on the ball as it's going by.

I'll post the video when I find one, but kind of a crazy play all around.

Looked for the video after it happened and couldn't find it.  Popped up while I was looking up Schwarber error videos lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymjr5F9XEp0

On 5/30/2018 at 10:08 AM, Jerry Lundergaard said:

So, which was the most egregious play?

-Rizzo taking out the Pirates' catcher 

or

-Wilson's middle of the ice hit on the Vegas player

I would say Wilson's hit was a little worse, but not a fan of either one.  The only reason I would say Wilson's was worse because it was well after the puck was gone and there wasn't any  advantage to be gained.  He just wanted to hit the guy.  With Rizzo's, I would say it was more a misguided attempt at making an aggressive play.  Still bad though.

20 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

Schwarber's defense has actually been decent all year.  When looking at advanced stats, he ranks very well so far this year, but a lot of those stats need a couple years to balance out.  Still a good sign though.  His UZR is 11th among all OF, his UZR/150 is 2nd, and his statcast Outs Above Average of -1 (slightly below average) which doesn't take into account his arm at all.

It will be interesting to follow those numbers throughout the year and into next year.  I'm thinking he's at least an average outfielder, and his arm might put him just slightly above average.  Definitely not the detriment he was a couple years ago.

I think part of Schwarber's problem is that early on he made some real bad plays out there where he's looked clueless.  Like this, and this, and this.  People still remember those plays, but those mistakes keep getting less and less all the time.

How many games is Kyle going to win with his bat?  And how many is he going to lose with his glove?  I will take the offense.

14 minutes ago, rico said:

I see where Baez stole home for the Cubbies.

I'm a pretty big baseball fan but I forget how good or dialed in these guys are actually. Baez said he motioned a signal to Contreras after he noticed pitcher high leg kick that he might try it if pitcher goes to first. Worked perfectly.

People (and rightfully so) bash sometimes how long baseball is, the games, the season,etc....but here's an example of 1 play in 1 inning that was a huge difference in win or lose. Will that 1 play matter come September with final results. Time will tell. But I always try to explain to friends/family that hate how long everything is and that Baez steal was a perfect example of baseball. 8-9 different scenarios could happen with each pitch. 

14 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm a pretty big baseball fan but I forget how good or dialed in these guys are actually. Baez said he motioned a signal to Contreras after he noticed pitcher high leg kick that he might try it if pitcher goes to first. Worked perfectly.

People (and rightfully so) bash sometimes how long baseball is, the games, the season,etc....but here's an example of 1 play in 1 inning that was a huge difference in win or lose. Will that 1 play matter come September with final results. Time will tell. But I always try to explain to friends/family that hate how long everything is and that Baez steal was a perfect example of baseball. 8-9 different scenarios could happen with each pitch. 

You have to be a student of the game to understand it.  To me it is the most intriguing of all sports.  

1 hour ago, rico said:

You have to be a student of the game to understand it.  To me it is the most intriguing of all sports.  

Agreed. Baseball and soccer are two games that have a ton going on all the time, just not much scoring. If you understand the games they're a lot of fun. 

8 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Agreed. Baseball and soccer are two games that have a ton going on all the time, just not much scoring. If you understand the games they're a lot of fun. 

That's one sport along with hockey I wish I spent the time understanding. I can talk strategy in pretty much any other sport....but soccer and hockey. My 2 downfalls. I know nothing.

The only thing I know about hockey is it's important to have a good goalie in the playoffs. And in mens soccer...I know I'm very tired of hearing people for the 3rd decade in a row saying the other countries play the sport since birth. That's why we aren't as good...which of course I say BS. 

23 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

That's one sport along with hockey I wish I spent the time understanding. I can talk strategy in pretty much any other sport....but soccer and hockey. My 2 downfalls. I know nothing.

The only thing I know about hockey is it's important to have a good goalie in the playoffs. And in mens soccer...I know I'm very tired of hearing people for the 3rd decade in a row saying the other countries play the sport since birth. That's why we aren't as good...which of course I say BS. 

Back to topic.......geez, I guess I didn't pay attention to how bad the Orioles are.  Wow.  

39 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I think our biggest issue with soccer is our approach to it is very different at the youth levels than other countries. They get kids in an academy at a young age and they excel. 

The other issue we face is many of our top athletes pick other sports because soccer lacks popularity in the USA. Of course, we have some great athletes playing soccer, too, but if you put all of our best athletes on the pitch and developed them I don't think we'd have a problem competing for WC. 

38 minutes ago, rico said:

Back to topic.......geez, I guess I didn't pay attention to how bad the Orioles are.  Wow.  

The bad thing for the Orioles is that they haven't started their fire sale yet and they still have the worst record in baseball.  The two closest teams to them (White Sox and Miami) have already sold off all their good players and are into their rebuild.  Baltimore hasn't even started yet.  Machado will be gone for sure.  Britton, Adam Jones, and Brad Brach will be free agents, so they should go.  Schoop is signed through next year, so he's a candidate to get traded.

In a division with the Yankees and Red Sox, you know what you have to become.  If you aren't a 90-95+ win team consistently, you likely don't stand a chance.  Some divisions you can get by with being mediocre and win your division by beating up on the bad teams, but not in the AL East.

4 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

The bad thing for the Orioles is that they haven't started their fire sale yet and they still have the worst record in baseball.  The two closest teams to them (White Sox and Miami) have already sold off all their good players and are into their rebuild.  Baltimore hasn't even started yet.  Machado will be gone for sure.  Britton, Adam Jones, and Brad Brach will be free agents, so they should go.  Schoop is signed through next year, so he's a candidate to get traded.

In a division with the Yankees and Red Sox, you know what you have to become.  If you aren't a 90-95+ win team consistently, you likely don't stand a chance.  Some divisions you can get by with being mediocre and win your division by beating up on the bad teams, but not in the AL East.

I don't follow the O's.....I thought they had a good owner?  Bad management?  

In the past 5 years in the AL East, you've had 4 different teams finish last and 3 different teams finish first. Interestingly, Boston is the only team to have multiples of either category and the Yankees are the only team to neither win nor finish last in the division in the past 5 years. 

EDIT: Only 3 teams have finished first, not 4. 

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

In the past 5 years in the AL East, you've had 4 different teams finish last and 4 different teams finish first. Interestingly, Boston is the only team to have multiples of either category and the Yankees are the only team to neither win nor finish last in the division in the past 5 years. 

Interesting info.

2 hours ago, rico said:

I don't follow the O's.....I thought they had a good owner?  Bad management?  

I know their pitching was thought to be weak going into the year, and it hasn't been good. Add to that a struggling and previously injured Schoop and Trumbo, and their offense is struggling too. Davis has been abysmal at the plate too.

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

In the past 5 years in the AL East, you've had 4 different teams finish last and 4 different teams finish first. Interestingly, Boston is the only team to have multiples of either category and the Yankees are the only team to neither win nor finish last in the division in the past 5 years. 

Never would have guessed that. I think the Yankees and Red Sox will own the next 5.

3 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

The guy that runs the farmers market I go to each Saturday is a die hard Orioles fan. Broken record to him season after season of bad management decisions. The fire sale should have started 2 years ago. Every player you mentioned will be gone by trade deadline....or should be. Chris Davis had value at one point but that's all gone. 

What drives him crazy is not only the AL East but down the road the Nationals are least in the playoffs each year. He said he doesn't know an Oriole fan alive that wouldn't welcome the sell off/rebuild but keeps asking what is ownership/mgt waiting on. 

5 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

The guy that runs the farmers market I go to each Saturday is a die hard Orioles fan. Broken record to him season after season of bad management decisions. The fire sale should have started 2 years ago. Every player you mentioned will be gone by trade deadline....or should be. Chris Davis had value at one point but that's all gone. 

What drives him crazy is not only the AL East but down the road the Nationals are least in the playoffs each year. He said he doesn't know an Oriole fan alive that wouldn't welcome the sell off/rebuild but keeps asking what is ownership/mgt waiting on. 

Where is Earl Weaver when you need him?

Archived