MLB discussion

rico

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

The one good thing about losing to the cubs at home is that it hopefully means Matheny will be fired at the end of the year. I can only hope. 

Matheny gets plenty of attention and rightfully so. I also sit there and watch a game and realize the Cards lineup just doesn't have the same juice or whatever  you used to have. Maybe there are injuries I'm not aware of but John Mozeliak can be asked where's the players too I'm sure.

21 minutes ago, rico said:

I think the Cubs are getting into "stride".

Getting better. But some of our stats still just don't make sense which is why it's hard to go all in on stats, analytics,etc....sometimes.  13 over .500 with Quintana still getting consistent, nothing from Darvish yet as well as Chatwood. 

Weird part of the schedule has Cubs and Cards play 8 of first 12 after All Star break. 

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Getting better. But some of our stats still just don't make sense which is why it's hard to go all in on stats, analytics,etc....sometimes.  13 over .500 with Quintana still getting consistent, nothing from Darvish yet as well as Chatwood. 

Weird part of the schedule has Cubs and Cards play 8 of first 12 after All Star break. 

Good, the Cubbies can take care of the Cards in short order!!!!  Fingers crossed!  LOL

I figured somebody would bring it up eventually, but Schwarber just hosed another guy from left.  He isn't going to make Billy Hamilton catches (2% catch probability!!!), but at some point people need to stop running on him.  He caught Fowler off guard last night with a quick throw behind him for an out, and he threw a laser on the money tonight.

On 6/17/2018 at 8:27 AM, Seeking6 said:

Matheny gets plenty of attention and rightfully so. I also sit there and watch a game and realize the Cards lineup just doesn't have the same juice or whatever  you used to have. Maybe there are injuries I'm not aware of but John Mozeliak can be asked where's the players too I'm sure.

Missing Martinez our 3 hole (left to see birth of his child) and Dejong is hurt (wrist) he strikes out often but has crazy power(still tied for most bombs on our club and he been hurt for 3 weeks). Ya the lineup was looking pretty weak in a huge series unfortunately. Alex Reyes coming back for one game and being lost for season again sucks. If healthy he would be our ace and easily had all star caliber stuff. Belief he was number one pitching prospect in the Big's. 

Maddon is a lot better manager than Matheny. Matheny been horrible at managing pitching and players are constantly bad at foundamentals. Lead the league with runners thrown out on bases tells it all. bad defense  and are close to last in pinch hitting adverage. We were never like that with La Russa he always had players prepared and focused. 

Cardinals have tons of money but Rarely ever spend it. We always been stuck on just developing and relying on our farm system guys even when we clearly don't have anybody to fill the hole. 

Ive been frustrated with cardinals for about 3 years now! I thought we should of signed J.D Martinez (didnt think Ozuna was enough) of course we don't and he goes to Red Sox and puts up all star numbers. If the Cubs need a piece they go get it and that's what I love about your GM. 

53 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

Missing Martinez our 3 hole (left to see birth of his child) and Dejong is hurt (wrist) he strikes out often but has crazy power(still tied for most bombs on our club and he been hurt for 3 weeks). Ya the lineup was looking pretty weak in a huge series unfortunately. Alex Reyes coming back for one game and being lost for season again sucks. If healthy he would be our ace and easily had all star caliber stuff. Belief he was number one pitching prospect in the Big's. 

Maddon is a lot better manager than Matheny. Matheny been horrible at managing pitching and players are constantly bad at foundamentals. Lead the league with runners thrown out on bases tells it all. bad defense  and are close to last in pinch hitting adverage. We were never like that with La Russa he always had players prepared and focused. 

Cardinals have tons of money but Rarely ever spend it. We always been stuck on just developing and relying on our farm system guys even when we clearly don't have anybody to fill the hole. 

Ive been frustrated with cardinals for about 3 years now! I thought we should of signed J.D Martinez (didnt think Ozuna was enough) of course we don't and he goes to Red Sox and puts up all star numbers. If the Cubs need a piece they go get it and that's what I love about your GM. 

You hit on a key point I talk with my buddies about regarding Cardinals and Matheny. No matter what you knew the Cardinals were fundamentally sound, didn't run into mistakes, defensively solid....which are all traits of being managed well. Just hasn't been this way under Matheny regardless of other stuff. I know a Peoria, Illinois native who does a pretty good job at coaching those things (Girardi). Might be the guy to get the Cardinal way thing back because it's been missing for at least 3-4 years.

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

You hit on a key point I talk with my buddies about regarding Cardinals and Matheny. No matter what you knew the Cardinals were fundamentally sound, didn't run into mistakes, defensively solid....which are all traits of being managed well. Just hasn't been this way under Matheny regardless of other stuff. I know a Peoria, Illinois native who does a pretty good job at coaching those things (Girardi). Might be the guy to get the Cardinal way thing back because it's been missing for at least 3-4 years.

So much for the Cardinal way more like "how to find ways to lose games" way. i think Girardi would be a great hire. Fans are taking notice to By leaving early and atttendemce down. Felt like a Chicago home game for the entire series. Everyone is tired of bad managing and sitting on our hands and not doing anything besides relying on players in the system that aren't there to begin with. Pretty poor all around for an organization that has been excellent for so long. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I hope Girardi ends up in Cincy.....

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Me to but they will go on the cheap and not pay a manager big money

Reds fans could tell me more but I feel like their fans need an established name, proven track record,etc....asking them to bet on an up and coming guy might be a bit much to ask. Just my opinion. 

18 hours ago, 5fouls said:

There have only been 5 complete games in the entire National League this year. No team has more than 1.  The Cubs have 10 shutouts but none are complete games.  

Treating starting pitchers like babies has gone too far.

So you are not a fan of the "pitch count"?  LOL

8 hours ago, rico said:

Who's the idiot that said the Cubs were hitting their "stride".  Go Reds.

Just a bad stretch. Writer/reporter for Cubs Jesse Rogers even hinted that this was coming before Cubs left for Cincy. Happens every summer with this team at least once. While confident they'll be fine....losing 3 in a row shouldn't happen vs the Reds. After today's game  4 on the road at LA.

Plenty of twitter geniuses out there regarding Cubs, Maddon, lineup, who should play,etc....pretty funny stuff to read.

Archived