MLB discussion

rico

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, rico said:

Basically a piece on how he is the best player in baseball but yet ain't the face of MLB.

It seems like the MLB is pissed at him for not marketing himself more, but I feel like they could use that as a selling point. He seems like a normal, nice guy who just happens to be the best player on the planet.

2 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

It seems like the MLB is pissed at him for not marketing himself more, but I feel like they could use that as a selling point. He seems like a normal, nice guy who just happens to be the best player on the planet.

Right on........the other thing from the piece was how obsessed Trout is about weather.  He has been on the WeatherChannel.

6 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I thought it was about Mike Trout, not Mookie Betts? 

4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Betts is great.  But, Trout is historically good.  

I think they both may end up historically good; Betts is probably, maybe, a little better this year. 

BUT, Trout is definitely the better player year in and year out. I just was giving my guy some love. 

5 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

I know, they only have 27 of 'em.....

Who cares? We are talking about last year when neither team even made it. 

The Red Sox are currently the better team and better organization. That's not even a knock on the Yankees; they're a great team and organization too. 

From an ESPN article in June.  Keep in mind he's only 26 years old.

He already has as much or more WAR than 74 position-player Hall of Famers and more than 56 modern-era Hall of Fame players at any non-pitcher position. That includes modern legends such as Mike Piazza, Vladimir Guerrero, Willie Stargell and Kirby Puckett, or less-recent legends such Harmon Killebrew, Yogi Berra, Hank Greenberg, Joe Medwick or George Sisler.

Trout hasn't even played the minimum 10 seasons needed for eligibility. -- Schoenfield

14 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Trout and Judge are both still 26.  Trout's about 9 months older, but Trout had a 6 year head start on his career.  Barring catastrophic injury, Trout's career will have significantly better numbers than Judge's

I think a lot of people forget Mike came up at 19.

2 hours ago, rico said:

I see the Bosox put Sale on the 10 day DL.  Can't help but think nothing is wrong and they are just giving him some rest.

He is only going to miss one start. I'm sure it is minor and that he could pitch through it, but there's no point when the Yankees are SO FAR behind. Pretty amazing that the possible Cy Young winner and the possible MVP both are going to have DL stints and they are still pounding the Yankees so easily. 

Red Sox are the deepest team in baseball everywhere except the bullpen, and at least they have the best closer in baseball there. In the playoffs, I'd like to see the rotation be Sale, Porcello, E-Rod and Eovaldi with Price sliding into that multiple inning relief role a la Andrew Miller. 

On 8/1/2018 at 10:41 AM, KoB2011 said:

He is only going to miss one start. I'm sure it is minor and that he could pitch through it, but there's no point when the Yankees are SO FAR behind. Pretty amazing that the possible Cy Young winner and the possible MVP both are going to have DL stints and they are still pounding the Yankees so easily. 

Red Sox are the deepest team in baseball everywhere except the bullpen, and at least they have the best closer in baseball there. In the playoffs, I'd like to see the rotation be Sale, Porcello, E-Rod and Eovaldi with Price sliding into that multiple inning relief role a la Andrew Miller. 

You sure he won't miss two starts?

Well it pains me to say this, but it looks like the AL East is all but sewed up for the Sawks, and I have to tip my cap to them. I felt they really needed a split in this series to have a chance, but not to be. Now they can concentrate on the WC and maybe do some damage. My hope is the Sawks can't keep up this pace and burn themselves out, we'll see.

And no KoB2011, Judge would not have made up an 8 run difference. But I think you'll agree having both Judge and Sanchez out of the lineup does hurt their offense. Plus the fact JA Haap was supposed to start yesterday and is on the DL with hand foot and mouth. Haap has a pretty good record against Boston. Instead the Yanks brought up a kid from AAA for his first ML debut in Fenway in an important game. Kid did O.K, not bad, not good.

One of the concerns I had before the season started was the starting pitching. Sabathia? His good years are behind him and his knees are gimpy. Severino? He has really struggled for the past month, really hasn't pitched like an Ace pitcher should. Tanaka? While O.K., he can still go out and throw a clunker. Sonny "Clouds are" Gray? Don't get me started on this kid. In 21 starts this year, he is 10 and 11!

My hope is that Cashman and the Steinbrenner boys get some decent pitching for next year. But with the way teams are coveting pitching, that may be difficult to do.

1 hour ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Well it pains me to say this, but it looks like the AL East is all but sewed up for the Sawks, and I have to tip my cap to them. I felt they really needed a split in this series to have a chance, but not to be. Now they can concentrate on the WC and maybe do some damage. My hope is the Sawks can't keep up this pace and burn themselves out, we'll see.

And no KoB2011, Judge would not have made up an 8 run difference. But I think you'll agree having both Judge and Sanchez out of the lineup does hurt their offense. Plus the fact JA Haap was supposed to start yesterday and is on the DL with hand foot and mouth. Haap has a pretty good record against Boston. Instead the Yanks brought up a kid from AAA for his first ML debut in Fenway in an important game. Kid did O.K, not bad, not good.

One of the concerns I had before the season started was the starting pitching. Sabathia? His good years are behind him and his knees are gimpy. Severino? He has really struggled for the past month, really hasn't pitched like an Ace pitcher should. Tanaka? While O.K., he can still go out and throw a clunker. Sonny "Clouds are" Gray? Don't get me started on this kid. In 21 starts this year, he is 10 and 11!

My hope is that Cashman and the Steinbrenner boys get some decent pitching for next year. But with the way teams are coveting pitching, that may be difficult to do.

I totally agree the Yankees have injuries, but so do the Red Sox; Sale, Rodriguez, Pomeranz, Pedroia, Kinsler, and Devers all on the DL. Bogaerts missed games this series because of injury. The fact of the matter is the Red Sox have a ridiculous amount of depth and three of the best five or so players in the AL this year. Plus the best pitcher in the AL and a closer as good as any in baseball. 

I think the Yankees are really good, this Red Sox team may just go down as historically good. 

Archived