MLB discussion

rico

26 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I totally agree the Yankees have injuries, but so do the Red Sox; Sale, Rodriguez, Pomeranz, Pedroia, Kinsler, and Devers all on the DL. Bogaerts missed games this series because of injury. The fact of the matter is the Red Sox have a ridiculous amount of depth and three of the best five or so players in the AL this year. Plus the best pitcher in the AL and a closer as good as any in baseball. 

I think the Yankees are really good, this Red Sox team may just go down as historically good. 

I agree the Red Sox are clearly the team to beat this year, but I don't think their injuries have been that bad.

Sale is missing one start. Rodriguez is working his way back, but he will miss a few more starts. I'd guess around 5-6 week's total he'll be out, so that's probably their biggest injury. Kinsler is average and his best years are a few years behind him. Same with Pedroia. Devers is only missing 2 weeks. Pomeranz has given up 34 earned runs in 46.2 innings, and I just don't think he's very good. Here's a good article from the off-season about his numbers last year. For the most part, their best players have been pretty healthy.

Hell, some of those injuries are probably helping the Red Sox :coffee:

Of their 8 regulars not counting catcher (Betts, Martinez, Benintendi, Bradley, Devers, Bogaerts, Moreland, and Nunez), they've all played at least 91 of their 112 games except Moreland at 86 who missed games early on when Ramirez was on the team.

I would argue that the Yankees losing Judge for a month is a bigger injury than most of the ones you listed combined. And that pains me to say because I hate the Yankees a lot more than I hate the Red Sox lol. The Sanchez injury hurt too. He wasn't hitting well this year, but he was still dangerous and was likely eventually going to figure it out.

Either way, I hope both teams lose in the playoffs :coffee:

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I agree the Red Sox are clearly the team to beat this year, but I don't think their injuries have been that bad.

Sale is missing one start. Rodriguez is working his way back, but he will miss a few more starts. I'd guess around 5-6 week's total he'll be out, so that's probably their biggest injury. Kinsler is average and his best years are a few years behind him. Same with Pedroia. Devers is only missing 2 weeks. Pomeranz has given up 34 earned runs in 46.2 innings, and I just don't think he's very good. Here's a good article from the off-season about his numbers last year. For the most part, their best players have been pretty healthy.

Hell, some of those injuries are probably helping the Red Sox :coffee:

Of their 8 regulars not counting catcher (Betts, Martinez, Benintendi, Bradley, Devers, Bogaerts, Moreland, and Nunez), they've all played at least 91 of their 112 games except Moreland at 86 who missed games early on when Ramirez was on the team.

I would argue that the Yankees losing Judge for a month is a bigger injury than most of the ones you listed combined. And that pains me to say because I hate the Yankees a lot more than I hate the Red Sox lol. The Sanchez injury hurt too. He wasn't hitting well this year, but he was still dangerous and was likely eventually going to figure it out.

Either way, I hope both teams lose in the playoffs :coffee:

I don't disagree that the Red Sox haven't had that bad of injuries, but it has been worse than the Yankees. The Red Sox are just a better and deeper team. 

Mookie Betts has missed more time on the DL to date than Judge. Better player, more missed time, still an 8.5 game lead. 

7 hours ago, rico said:

I am all for Homer Bailey getting a change of scenery.

A retirement community, per chance?  There isn't any other team that will take that contract (even just a portion of it), especially when it comes with an ERA over 6.00.

14 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

A retirement community, per chance?  There isn't any other team that will take that contract (even just a portion of it), especially when it comes with an ERA over 6.00.

I know.  Just some piss poor management decisions.  

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, rico said:

I was perusing through the standings.  So we got a team that is 30 games over .500 but yet is 10 1/2 games back in their division?  That has to be some sort of a record?

I want to say early 90's Giants had a team where they won 100+ games and didn't make playoffs. Red Sox are just unreal this year!

30 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I want to say early 90's Giants had a team where they won 100+ games and didn't make playoffs. Red Sox are just unreal this year!

But the Giants weren't 30 games over and in second.  But winning over a 100 games and not making the play-offs would suck.

46 minutes ago, rico said:

But the Giants weren't 30 games over and in second.  But winning over a 100 games and not making the play-offs would suck.

Actually they were. Record was 103-59 which put them 44 games over .500 and in 2nd and missed playoffs completely because Braves won 104.

They topped out at 9 back.

Edit:  (Wikipedia)
As good as the 1993 Giants were (winning 103 games), the Atlanta Braves won 104 in what some call the last great pennant race (due to the Wild Card being instituted the following season).[4] After going up by nine games on August 11 with a 77-38 record, the Giants went 12-18 and found themselves three-and-a-half games behind, a 12.5-game swing, by September 15. They then went on a 14-2 run, which left them tied with the Braves with one game remaining, which they lost 12-1 to the 80-81 Los Angeles Dodgers to become the only National League team to win 100 or more games and not make the playoffs in the divisional play era.

1 minute ago, Leathernecks said:

Haha.  No worries.  The Red Sox are definitely in rare company at the moment.

Thanks to all for pulling these stats. Only reason I knew about the Giants was because after Will Clark and the Giants destroyed my Cubs in 89 playoffs I wished them ill will forever. Haha

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Thanks to all for pulling these stats. Only reason I knew about the Giants was because after Will Clark and the Giants destroyed my Cubs in 89 playoffs I wished them ill will forever. Haha

So you are the one that caused the earthquake!!!!  Impressive.  LOL

Archived