MLB discussion

rico

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Impressive run no doubt....but the feel good stuff of how they are playing now has to be balanced vs long term success. I'll say it again. IU gave Davis a contract because of one tourney run. All based on short term thinking. Trust me...I'd love for Girardi not to be in that dugout...as a Cubs fan.

Girardi no doubt would be a good hire and has a better track record but I love the way Shildt has managed the pitching staff and how we now have an aggressive style with him.. stealing a lot more bases and hitting and running more.. we have cut down a ton on our strikeouts... playing a lot better D... I could barely watch us with matheny and now I don’t miss a game. It’s really fun to watch. We are a completely different team now with him. And He has a good way about him with the players. They seem to really respect\like him and really wanna win for him. I’ve been very very impressed! 

21 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

Girardi no doubt would be a good hire and has a better track record but I love the way Shildt has managed the pitching staff and how we now have an aggressive style with him.. stealing a lot more bases and hitting and running more.. we have cut down a ton on our strikeouts... playing a lot better D... I could barely watch us with matheny and now I don’t miss a game. It’s really fun to watch. We are a completely different team now with him. And He has a good way about him with the players. They seem to really respect\like him and really wanna win for him. I’ve been very very impressed! 

This times a thousand. You could tell a lot of the players didn’t like Matheny. They seemed to play too uptight like if they made a mistake they knew they’d be benched for awhile. 

14 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

This times a thousand. You could tell a lot of the players didn’t like Matheny. They seemed to play too uptight like if they made a mistake they knew they’d be benched for awhile. 

Sometimes a guy just wears out his stay.

The difference between the halves and halves nots are growing in the MLB and it is hard to be a fan of a team like the Reds.  For the Reds to be competitive everything has to go right and you can't make any mistakes in free agency or trades or giving a bad contract to players.  Small market teams can have a couple of really good years like KC did a couple of years ago but they just can't keep it up. These teams will lose all of their good young players once they hit arbitration or free agency to the big market teams.

Watching the Reds/Cubs this weekend just shows the difference in the MLB because when the cubs lose starters they have the payroll to bring in someone like Murphy.  If you just look at the benches of these two teams you can see how one team can pay good money for bench players and the other have young unproven players coming off the bench.  When Bryant and Russel comes back the Cubs will have players like Happ and Zobrist and Russell coming off of their bench.

4 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

:cheers:

Well, I'll be rooting for the Reds to win lots in the next month (excluding the final 3 game series with Cubbies). Just don't start Homer against the Cards or Brewers ha.

All I can say is they know how bad he is.....but yet they keep trotting him out there.

6 hours ago, IU Scott said:

The difference between the halves and halves nots are growing in the MLB and it is hard to be a fan of a team like the Reds.  For the Reds to be competitive everything has to go right and you can't make any mistakes in free agency or trades or giving a bad contract to players.  Small market teams can have a couple of really good years like KC did a couple of years ago but they just can't keep it up. These teams will lose all of their good young players once they hit arbitration or free agency to the big market teams.

Watching the Reds/Cubs this weekend just shows the difference in the MLB because when the cubs lose starters they have the payroll to bring in someone like Murphy.  If you just look at the benches of these two teams you can see how one team can pay good money for bench players and the other have young unproven players coming off the bench.  When Bryant and Russel comes back the Cubs will have players like Happ and Zobrist and Russell coming off of their bench.

Here’s a start: stop starting Homer Bailey. 

13 hours ago, rico said:

All I can say is they know how bad he is.....but yet they keep trotting him out there.

I haven't checked to confirm this is right but during game yesterday my buddy sent me this. In games Homer starts....Reds are 1-17. In other games they are 55-58.

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I haven't checked to confirm this is right but during game yesterday my buddy sent me this. In games Homer starts....Reds are 1-17. In other games they are 55-58.

He be right.  I was wondering if Homer was approaching rarified air after yesterday's game and just came across this from a poster on the Redszone................

According to Stats by Stats, the Reds now have the most team losses through 18 starts by a pitcher in a single season since the live-ball era began in 1908.

Bailey’s record stands at 1-12. With Sunday’s 9-0 defeat to the Chicago Cubs, the Reds have lost the rest of his starts to tally a 1-17 record when he toes the rubber.

6 minutes ago, rico said:

He be right.  I was wondering if Homer was approaching rarified air after yesterday's game and just came across this from a poster on the Redszone................

According to Stats by Stats, the Reds now have the most team losses through 18 starts by a pitcher in a single season since the live-ball era began in 1908.

Bailey’s record stands at 1-12. With Sunday’s 9-0 defeat to the Chicago Cubs, the Reds have lost the rest of his starts to tally a 1-17 record when he toes the rubber.

Unreal. Bailey have photos of someone? Haha..

48 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

They need to overhaul the whole organization because what they are doing now is not working.  They totally messed up the trades for Cueto and Chapman because they got nothing for either pitcher.

They need a new owner to start with.......

Archived