MLB discussion

rico

7 hours ago, rico said:

I really have no idea what the Cubs' contract situation is with their players.  But I do know they have proven commodities that are at the big league level.  Good position to be in and also know they got money.  So I am curious as to how Theo is gonna handle all of this, especially if they get eliminated today.

No one else I want in charge of those decisions. Theo is the best brain in sport. Maybe...and I say maybe because of Brady...double BB in Massachusetts but no one can touch Theo's track record. No one. 

In terms of contracts. Same guys are set for another 2-3 years after this season. Just a matter of asking if people like Murphy/Hamels want to join the band again. Otherwise the same team is set. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

No one else I want in charge of those decisions. Theo is the best brain in sport. Maybe...and I say maybe because of Brady...double BB in Massachusetts but no one can touch Theo's track record. No one. 

In terms of contracts. Same guys are set for another 2-3 years after this season. Just a matter of asking if people like Murphy/Hamels want to join the band again. Otherwise the same team is set. 

Understood......if that is the case I shop Russell.  

October 2, 2018. 

And it was the worst of times.  And the best of times in the mile household.

As both of our two favorite MLB teams faced off in legendary Wrigley Field.

All season long the mile family pulls for the Cubs and Rockies.

As we share wearing gear of both teams throughout the MLB season.

It was a win/win for the mile household, as much as a lose/lose for them as well.

Game finished well after midnight Eastern Standard time.

And as the mile household was glued to the tv... while the game went into the most extra innings in playoff history... we watched biting our fingernails.

Cubs lose. And Rox go on. 

And the mile household can't help but think... this may be the year... but wait till next season.  

On 9/29/2018 at 7:37 PM, TheWatShot said:

Hilarious watching the Cardinals fall apart this week. ESPN gave them an 86% chance of making the playoffs Sunday evening. A team that so often prospered off the late-season misfortunes of others finally got a taste of its own medicine.

Cubs fans take comfort...you played one more game than the Cardinals did this season!

3 hours ago, FKIM01 said:
  On 9/29/2018 at 7:37 PM, TheWatShot said:

Hilarious watching the Cardinals fall apart this week. ESPN gave them an 86% chance of making the playoffs Sunday evening. A team that so often prospered off the late-season misfortunes of others finally got a taste of its own medicine.

Cubs fans take comfort...you played one more game than the Cardinals did this season!

7ED7398A-E790-4CCC-8214-B14238CB719D.png

Team just ran out of gas. I think 44 games in 45 days. Inconsistent at the dish all year...not surprised one bit.

My offseason to do list:

1) Get healthy

2) Get healthy and stay healthy

3) Sign Bryce

4) Find a true leadoff man and play him every single day...no more platoon

5) Trade Russell, Happ, or Almora...or possibly even KS to upgrade bullpen or find another starter

6) Otherwise...get healthy and stay healthy and we'll be back in the playoffs again...no question.

10 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Team just ran out of gas. I think 44 games in 45 days. Inconsistent at the dish all year...not surprised one bit.

My offseason to do list:

1) Get healthy

3) Sign Bryce

5) Trade Russell, Happ, or Almora...or possibly even KS to upgrade bullpen or find another starter

6) Otherwise...get healthy and stay healthy and we'll be back in the playoffs again...no question.

Health has been the downfall of many of teams.  It is just something no one has control of.  The fact is the Cubbies won 95 games, but they needed 96 to advance and their bats were dormant.  

My offseason to do list:

1) Get healthy

3) Sign Bryce

I don't think you make trades for bullpen help unless you're talking about a lights out closer.  Even in that case I'm a little unsure.

that I'd do it.  Relievers are like dogs.  Don't get too attached because they'll soon die or run away.

20 minutes ago, slojoe said:

I don't think you make trades for bullpen help unless you're talking about a lights out closer.  Even in that case I'm a little unsure.

that I'd do it.  Relievers are like dogs.  Don't get too attached because they'll soon die or run away.

Cool. Wilson can go Old Yeller...

Cute pic, Boiler, but I'm actually not a Cubs fan. I just live around a few too many Cardinals fans for my taste, and get sick of the "best fans in baseball" nonsense every year. And apparently if you aren't a Cardinals fan, you don't know as much about baseball as they do. I've just enjoyed seeing how ordinary they've become in recent years. Those fans sure aren't as cocky as they once were.

1 hour ago, slojoe said:

To me you are dead on.  Never ever trade for a reliever.  Although I would gladly give you Iglesias for KS, Almora, and Happ.

6 minutes ago, slojoe said:

Yeah, I cringe whenever, he comes in, too.  He was lights out earlier in the season.

Epitome of Wilson's season. Up 0-2 on Arcia the other day on two fastballs. What did he think was a good pitch after that? Hangs a slider over middle of the plate which starts the rally. 

1 minute ago, rico said:

I am curious as to how the Tribe is gonna do in the post season.  Because I believe they are built for it.

Baseball is always weird. Tribe ended last year 33-4 to end season and they lost immediately to Yankees. If I were betting now I'm going Dodgers/Red Sox final

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Baseball is always weird. Tribe ended last year 33-4 to end season and they lost immediately to Yankees. If I were betting now I'm going Dodgers/Red Sox final

I see Brewers/Indians..........and with that I gave myself the "Kiss of Death".

Can't argue with your logic there if money is involved. i probably do the same thing, but damn I hate to admit it . Lol  

I have Indians Dodgers myself . Milwaukee is really putting it together at the right time too.

It has to translate over into the  playoffs and Cleveland's play this time of year often defies the logic of the regular seasons they've had in the past.  The Indians have choked far too many times, and it sucks for me personally how often they appeared to have enough on paper to finish these games.  

If they can't manufacture runs when the Astros staff is clicking it will be yet another fast exit. 

6 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

My offseason to do list:

1) Get healthy

3) Sign Bryce

I would replace Bryce with Machado. I think that Russell is not going to be a Cub much longer and he would fit better than Harper. Although I am hoping the Cubs hold off on trading Russell until after his suspension is over and he maybe is playing well. Otherwise I fear the cubs will get a bag of peanuts in return.

Regarding 5, I would just exercise the option on Cole Hamels and try to find bullpen depth in free agency.

Hopefully Bryant is back 100% next season...as well as Darvish, Morrow, Smyly, etc.

40 minutes ago, rico said:

Heyward ain't the same anymore.  Bad contract.

I was going to add that but didn't feel like debating. Eat the $ and say adios to him. Corner positions have to play great defense (he does) and produce the plate (he doesn't). See what you can get trade wise and eat half the remaining $.

Archived