MLB discussion

rico

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

That helps a little doesn't it. Its hard to believe that Todd Benzinger catching the final out of the series has been 28 years ago. I remember exactly where i was when that happened 

I do as well.......so long ago.

But to expand on your boys.  When I was growing up I guess you could say I lived in a fortunate area.  Half way between South Bend and Fort Wayne. Point being we pulled in TV stations from both cities.  As far as baseball, 33 out of the Fort had Reds games and 16 out of South Bend carried the Cubs.  It didn't take me long to be a Reds fan.....they were winning.  But I still watched the Cubs.  I could get into more detail but I won't.  One day I asked my Dad why he was a Cardinal fan.  He said that when he was young they didn't have a TV.  The only games he could get on the radio were Cards, Cubs, and White Sox......he picked the one that was a winner!  

12 minutes ago, rico said:

I do as well.......so long ago.

But to expand on your boys.  When I was growing up I guess you could say I lived in a fortunate area.  Half way between South Bend and Fort Wayne. Point being we pulled in TV stations from both cities.  As far as baseball, 33 out of the Fort had Reds games and 16 out of South Bend carried the Cubs.  It didn't take me long to be a Reds fan.....they were winning.  But I still watched the Cubs.  I could get into more detail but I won't.  One day I asked my Dad why he was a Cardinal fan.  He said that when he was young they didn't have a TV.  The only games he could get on the radio were Cards, Cubs, and White Sox......he picked the one that was a winner!  

Exactly.  That was my arguement as how i became an IU basketball ND football a cowboys fan and a Lakers fan.  They were always on TV

As for me, I am a Yankee fan because I was born and part of my childhood in NY. So when the family moved to southern Indiana, I just carried my fandom with me. Now my son and 2 grandsons are both Yankee fans. Even the 1 grandson is named after a current player, Gardner. That's saying something when we live in Cards, Cubs and Reds country.....

1 hour ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

As for me, I am a Yankee fan because I was born and part of my childhood in NY. So when the family moved to southern Indiana, I just carried my fandom with me. Now my son and 2 grandsons are both Yankee fans. Even the 1 grandson is named after a current player, Gardner. That's saying something when we live in Cards, Cubs and Reds country.....

Nothing wrong with that.......everyone has their own reasons for their fandom.  I never question why anyone roots for who they do.

When I was very young, I didn't like sports because I thought that if there were no sports, then the cartoons would have been on TV all afternoon!

But then I got interested in baseball, and I started watching Dizzy Dean and Pee Wee Reese doing the Saturday game of the week.  It seemed that they always had the Yankees on, and they talked about how much greater Mantle would have been without his injuries.  So I felt "sorry" for the Yanks, and started rooting for them.   As I got older I switched to the Cubs because they were closer to home.

49 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

The first major league game I attended was at the old stadium in Bloomington, Minnesota. Saw Killebrew, Oliva, Zoilo Versailles et al beat Luis Tiant and the Red Sox. Been a Twins fan ever since, even though back then they were rarely on tv.

Broke my heart when the Dodgers beat them in the 65 World Series 

And Jim Kaat says hello!  Loved the story.  

On 10/3/2018 at 9:39 PM, slojoe said:

Indians fate will be determined by their bullpen.

6 hits in 2 games isn't cutting it. It isn't an impossible position from 0-2 heading home, but not looking very good.  

Game 2 was more of a wasted opportunity after the game 1 barrage.  A timely homer can be just as lethal. The Astros can beat you so many different ways but common denominator is shutdown pitching in each.. 

2 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

And the Braves are still alive....

Meanwhile the Yanks/Red Sox series resumes tonight.

I'm hoping the Yanks' home run barrage continues.....

I thought the Braves were gonna piss that one away..........as far as the Yanks, did I mention I can't stand them?  LOL  

7 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Brock Holt! 

I was honestly shocked last night turned out like it did. I thought the Yankees had us where they wanted us. 

Yeah, I was really worried when the Sox let the Yankees back into the game in Game 1 and then didn't really show for Game 2, but last night was awesome! 

Archived