MLB discussion

rico

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 9:52 AM, Seeking6 said:

Sounds like David Bell has jumped out front to be manager of the Reds.

I am hoping for Girardi or Ferrall and I want a manager that is good with a young pitching rotation and let them work through some adversity.  I just don't like how baseball is using their starting pitchers and only using them for about 5 innings.  I want my pitchers to go at least 7 to 8 innings and only use a closer to finish the game if need be.  I want a manger and pitching coach that can teach pitchers how to pitch and not be just a hard thrower with no purpose.  It seems today the pitchers go out and pitch as hard as they can for as long as they can and then take them out.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It pains me to say this, but a tip of the cap to the Red Sox. Game 4 was close, but no Ceeegar, Sox win 4-3. After the Game 3 embarrassment the Yanks showed a little fight in the 9th, but too little too late.

The Steinbrenners need to shore up starting pitching during the off season. They can't rely on CC, Severino, and Tanaka. They need a top flight Ace. Who? I'm not sure.

7 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

It pains me to say this, but a tip of the cap to the Red Sox. Game 4 was close, but no Ceeegar, Sox win 4-3. After the Game 3 embarrassment the Yanks showed a little fight in the 9th, but too little too late.

The Steinbrenners need to shore up starting pitching during the off season. They can't rely on CC, Severino, and Tanaka. They need a top flight Ace. Who? I'm not sure.

I think Severino will take a step and put together a full season next year, but I agree starting pitching is the area of weakness. 

5 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Seems like a reach to me.  Could be wrong though.

Local family name is a hit but I'm with you....if I'm the Reds you have to ask the established proven managers who are available if there's interest. You at least owe that to your fans. You call yourself a baseball town...act like it. 

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Local family name is a hit but I'm with you....if I'm the Reds you have to ask the established proven managers who are available if there's interest. You at least owe that to your fans. You call yourself a baseball town...act like it. 

Matheny had never coached before and look how that turned out. I know Bell has served as bench coach and assistant hitting coach but that’d be a gamble for sure. 

46 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Matheny had never coached before and look how that turned out. I know Bell has served as bench coach and assistant hitting coach but that’d be a gamble for sure. 

Matheny, regardless of what you think, was a winner.

2 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Neither has Boone for the Yanks. And fans are scratching their heads, especially after Monday night debacle.......

Yeah, they should be scratching their heads after Monday. I think the final score has actually lessened the heat he should get; when he pulled Severino and went with Lynn he did the Sox a huge favor. 

4 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Yeah, they should be scratching their heads after Monday. I think the final score has actually lessened the heat he should get; when he pulled Severino and went with Lynn he did the Sox a huge favor. 

The Bosox were just a better team...but to Boone.  Being a Reds fan, I love him...however it looks as though he might have gotten managerial lessons from his father.  Aaron was a good player.....they always say that great players don't make good managers.  But what about the good players?  

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

This thread got quite once the Cubs and Yankees were knocked out. Red Sox appear to be the best team in baseball, possibly one of the best ever. 

Red Sox are really, really good...and they should say thank you to Theo Epstein again. 4-5 guys that Theo drafted (including Mookie) in his last draft with Red Sox (2011) have key roles. See. I knew we could bring it back to the Cubs!

Archived