MLB discussion

rico

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mantle's injuries take him out of the conversation for me. 

Because of what they could do both offensively and defensively I would have to go with Willie Mays and Johnny Bench.

For one season, the most dominant pitcher I ever saw was Bob Gibson in 1968. Like Mantle, had Sandy Koufax's career not been cut short , I would have nominated him for pitching. Mariano Rivera gets my vote even as a reliever 

23 hours ago, rico said:

What really surprises me is that Scott, because of his stated age, didn't say someone like Tom Seaver, Steve Carlton, or even Greg Maddux.

I went to a baseball clinic and heard Leo Mazzone talk and it was crazy some of the things he said about Maddox.  He said there were times Maddox would know what would happen on the 3rd pitch before the at bat even started.  First pitch, tailing fastball on the corner, second pitch off the plate inside, third pitch curve on the outside corner for a groundout to short and it would happen exactly that way.  Crazy some of the things he said he knew about how to pitch.  But it helps when you can throw a ball in the exact spot you want it every single pitch.

2 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I went to a baseball clinic and heard Leo Mazzone talk and it was crazy some of the things he said about Maddox.  He said there were times Maddox would know what would happen on the 3rd pitch before the at bat even started.  First pitch, tailing fastball on the corner, second pitch off the plate inside, third pitch curve on the outside corner for a groundout to short and it would happen exactly that way.  Crazy some of the things he said he knew about how to pitch.  But it helps when you can throw a ball in the exact spot you want it every single pitch.

Maddux was a well oiled machine.  Loved watching him pitch.

On 10/24/2018 at 10:05 AM, KoB2011 said:

Bonds or Trout, depending on if we are not including PED users. 

As much as I hate Bonds as a player and as a person, I would argue that a couple of Bonds seasons when he was using PEDs were more impressive than Trout not using them.  And I think Trout is one of the best non PED guys of the last 50 years.

The year he hit 73 home runs, he only had 476 official at bats.  He walked 177 times.  In 2004, he was intentionally walked 120 times and had 232 walks.  The 2nd most walks was 127.  He was almost intentionally walked that many times.  He still hit 45 home runs and drove in 101 runs in only 373 official at bats.

I despise him as a person, but the numbers he put up, even with the boost from PEDs were still out of this world.  

Bonds is the best player during my lifetime...but if I were starting a team give me Jeter all day long. 158 games in the postseason. Enough said.

Edit-I probably answered a bit quick. Some other honorable mentions. Mike Schmidt, Clemens....hitting wise Gwynn, Carew, Rose,and Boggs. So many great ones. I'd stick with Bonds but I don't think it's as easy I said. 

On 10/24/2018 at 4:17 PM, Billingsley99 said:

Game 7of the Series who in your lifetime is on the bump for u?

Homer Bailey.  Him being out there would mean the Reds are in it.  No other franchise would be stupid enough to put him on the mound in a Spring Training game, let alone a World Series.  

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

I'd be pretty shocked to see someone say Ricky Henderson is the greatest player they ever saw play. Anyone that has seen Ricky Henderson has seen a number of better players. 

I don't know about that.  Rickey was a "5-tool" player.  Under the radar.

Archived