MLB discussion

rico

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, rico said:

One for the ages last night.  Wow, what a game.

Crazy game indeed. Who would have guessed such a high scoring game with the Kershaw/Keuchel starting? On a side note, I consider myself to be somewhat of a baseball purist and don't want many changes to the game, but they really need to do something about the length of games. I am definitely in favor of limiting trips to the mound for starters.

3 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Crazy game indeed. Who would have guessed such a high scoring game with the Kershaw/Keuchel starting? On a side note, I consider myself to be somewhat of a baseball purist and don't want many changes to the game, but they really need to do something about the length of games. I am definitely in favor of limiting trips to the mound for starters.

What do you mean by limiting trips?

29 minutes ago, rico said:

What do you mean by limiting trips?

Limiting the amount of trips the catcher (and other infielders) makes to the mound is the main thing. I understand they get their signals crossed at times...but when the catcher visits the mound multiple times in an at bat that is just excessive and slows down the game. As a Cubs fan, I saw Contreras trotting out to the mound entirely too much in the playoffs. I am also open to MLB limiting the pitching coach/manager to one visit per inning max (without taking pitcher out) instead of once per pitcher/per inning.

2 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Limiting the amount of trips the catcher (and other infielders) makes to the mound is the main thing. I understand they get their signals crossed at times...but when the catcher visits the mound multiple times in an at bat that is just excessive and slows down the game. As a Cubs fan, I saw Contreras trotting out to the mound entirely too much in the playoffs. I am also open to MLB limiting the pitching coach/manager to one visit per inning max (without taking pitcher out) instead of once per pitcher/per inning.

Gotcha and understand.  On another board I visit they suggested just what you did.  

14 hours ago, 5fouls said:

As much as I love the thought of a Game 7, I hate the fact that it would not feature a top-end starter.  I miss the time when the ace of the staff would go in Games1,4, and 7.  

It's weird it didn't work out that way. Kershaw got pulled with 83 pitches in Game 1 then the Dodgers were down 2-1 heading into game 4. It worked fine, I guess, but don't you think the Dodgers wish they could bring Kershaw back tomorrow?

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Hopefully tonight lives up to the hype. One thing I know is certain. Full roster and pitching staffs will be used (unless one team pounces early). Might be another 4-5 hour game with all pitching changes coming.

I will put the over/under at 4.5 hours...and I really hope its under!

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I do too! Sad part is that Game 5 ratings hit peak at 1130 EST so we can kiss goodbye any idea that MLB will start these games earlier...especially for us EST tv folks.

That does make me sad indeed as I am on EST as well. I had to finally go to bed after 9 innings and missed the end of game 5!

• milehiiu pinned and unpinned this topic
46 minutes ago, rico said:

As much as I hate to admit it, I think Roberts botched this one.  LA should have started Kershaw.  That being said, congrats to the Astros.  Been a long time coming. 

Since mid -September,  Darvish' stats were ridiculous. In 5 starts before the WS, he had given up a total of 4 earned runs. He had the bad outing in his first WS start, but if I were Roberts, I would have done the same thing...expecting that Darvish would return to the dominating pitcher he was over the course of a month and a half, and viewing the bad start in the Series as the exception. Darvish also was pitching on full rest. Kershaw looked good when he came in, but who knows how he would have done had he been expected to pitch longer.

1 minute ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Since mid -September,  Darvish' stats were ridiculous. In 5 starts before the WS, he had given up a total of 4 earned runs. He had the bad outing in his first WS start, but if I were Roberts, I would have done the same thing...expecting that Darvish would return to the dominating pitcher he was over the course of a month and a half, and viewing the bad start in the Series as the exception. Darvish also was pitching on full rest. Kershaw looked good when he came in, but who knows how he would have done had he been expected to pitch longer.

OK.  But Darvish was traded to the NL.  Those teams hadn't seen him barely, or at all.  He gets to the WS and he is going against a team that saw him on a regular basis.

44 minutes ago, rico said:

Anybody have any insight as to what the Cubs are gonna do this off-season as far as pitching is concerned?

I have heard they want to target a controllable starter via trade (Archer?). I also believe the might try to get Cobb who I think was also with Tampa. The new pitching coach is from Tampa and him and Maddon know these pitchers as well. Theo said it would be nice to sign Wade Davis and Arrieta, but that they can't sign everybody they want...and since Arrieta is represented by Scott Boras, I doubt they will pay what he will want. No idea if they will ante up for Wade. Here is a good link for some Cub MLB rumors:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/chicago-cubs

Archived