MLB discussion

rico

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Astrosws20 said:

Call me crazy, but Darvish doesn't excite me (and it has nothing to do with the World Series). I didn't want us to trade for Darvish at the deadline and don't wholly want him now. Don't get me wrong, he's a good pitcher, but not as great as many opine. I believe him to be overrated. He's a good #2, but most people talk about him as an ace. I don't buy that. I've never looked at him as the bulldog or stopper type who you can look at and count him as a virtual win. If we sign him then I'll be giddy (depending on terms of the contract) because our rotation will be stacked and arguably the best in baseball, but it'll also mean that next year we will be saying goodbye to Keuchel who is a free agent at the end of the year. We might be saying bye to him regardless. I want my Astros to go out and sign someone like Addison Reed or make a trade for a lefty reliever and be done with the off-season. I'm waiting for the trade to happen. We don't have enough rotation spots for all of our starters.

I agree to a point. I didn't want the Cubs to trade for him during the playoff push last season because I didn't think he would be worth the talent the Cubs would need to give up to acquire him. However, I am all for the Cubs signing him now as it would "only" cost us cash. I could be off on this, but it seems like the market is coming down for him as he and Arrietta are both still available and I think he will be better long term. If the Cubs can get him for say 5 years/130 million I say do it. I would not want to go more than 4-5 years however.

7 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

This doesn't surprise me...although I don't think they will be able to make playoffs, they can always trade him midseason as well...probably for a similar return as they would get now.

If I am the O's I deal him at the trading deadline.  Take your chances.  But that being said I dunno what their total payroll is or if they are concerned about it with the luxury tax.

6 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I agree to a point. I didn't want the Cubs to trade for him during the playoff push last season because I didn't think he would be worth the talent the Cubs would need to give up to acquire him. However, I am all for the Cubs signing him now as it would "only" cost us cash. I could be off on this, but it seems like the market is coming down for him as he and Arrietta are both still available and I think he will be better long term. If the Cubs can get him for say 5 years/130 million I say do it. I would not want to go more than 4-5 years however.

My worry for the Cubs is that they have a lot of their core players needing contracts over the next few years.  I don't want to have 20+ million a year tied up in a 35 year old Yu Darvish when they're trying to sign Bryant, Rizzo, Russel, and Schwarber in 2021-22.  If they're going to spend big money on somebody, I want it to be for an elite player.

A lot can and probably will change before then, but I don't like Darvish enough to chance it.  I'd rather save the money for next offseason which will have a much better group of free agents.

15 minutes ago, rico said:

If I am the O's I deal him at the trading deadline.  Take your chances.  But that being said I dunno what their total payroll is or if they are concerned about it with the luxury tax.

I think it was just a power play by the Orioles.  Kind of like when a coach's name pops up in a coaching search to try to get a bigger contract from the school they're at.

They just made it known that they aren't just giving him away.  They showed they aren't desperate to move him, but in no way is he off the market.  They're just saying that teams better up their offers if they want to get him.  He'll get moved before the deadline unless they're in first place, so whenever the right offer comes their way they'll take it.

31 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

My worry for the Cubs is that they have a lot of their core players needing contracts over the next few years.  I don't want to have 20+ million a year tied up in a 35 year old Yu Darvish when they're trying to sign Bryant, Rizzo, Russel, and Schwarber in 2021-22.  If they're going to spend big money on somebody, I want it to be for an elite player.

A lot can and probably will change before then, but I don't like Darvish enough to chance it.  I'd rather save the money for next offseason which will have a much better group of free agents.

To be honest that is gonna be a problem for the Cubs.  All those guys wanting money at the same time.  

1 hour ago, rico said:

To be honest that is gonna be a problem for the Cubs.  All those guys wanting money at the same time.  

Agreed. That is why I think they are going to have to do something via free agency to acquire solid starter or trade some position player to do it. Obviously that is a gamble as well. I think they have maybe a 3 year window before they are going to have to start letting some of their current talent go/trade since they won't be able to afford to keep them all. That is why I am ok signing Darvish for 4-5 years until he is 35/36 despite the risks. As I think I stated earlier though, I would not go more than 5 years on him, or probably 130 million.

Dream scenario for Cubs is that Heyward has great season and opts out of his contract after season thus freeing up money for Harper (I know unlikely!). 

27 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Agreed. That is why I think they are going to have to do something via free agency to acquire solid starter or trade some position player to do it. Obviously that is a gamble as well. I think they have maybe a 3 year window before they are going to have to start letting some of their current talent go/trade since they won't be able to afford to keep them all. That is why I am ok signing Darvish for 4-5 years until he is 35/36 despite the risks. As I think I stated earlier though, I would not go more than 5 years on him, or probably 130 million.

Dream scenario for Cubs is that Heyward has great season and opts out of his contract after season thus freeing up money for Harper (I know unlikely!). 

Heyward, for the most part, hasn't played to par for his contract.  And if I was the Cubs I would think about trading Russell.  But the good thing about the Cubbies is they got interchangeable parts, that is to say they got guys that can play multiple positions.  

3 hours ago, rico said:

Heyward, for the most part, hasn't played to par for his contract.  And if I was the Cubs I would think about trading Russell.  But the good thing about the Cubbies is they got interchangeable parts, that is to say they got guys that can play multiple positions.  

I wouldn't be surprised if they try to trade Heyward.  I would guess they'll have to eat some of his contract to do it, but even with that, it would give them an extra 10-15 million for free agency the next year.

I'd be hesitant about trading Russell unless it was for an elite player.  He had all kinds of distractions and injuries this year, and he still had a WAR of 1.4 in just over 100 games.  Not great, but for all the issues he went through and the team went through, that's fair.  He's also still only 23 for another month.  I'd like to see him have a full offseason to reset himself and come back ready to go next year.  He can be a really good shortstop in this league for many years.  Those aren't easy to find.

5 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they try to trade Heyward.  I would guess they'll have to eat some of his contract to do it, but even with that, it would give them an extra 10-15 million for free agency the next year.

I'd be hesitant about trading Russell unless it was for an elite player.  He had all kinds of distractions and injuries this year, and he still had a WAR of 1.4 in just over 100 games.  Not great, but for all the issues he went through and the team went through, that's fair.  He's also still only 23 for another month.  I'd like to see him have a full offseason to reset himself and come back ready to go next year.  He can be a really good shortstop in this league for many years.  Those aren't easy to find.

Russell would bring them something big in return.

On 12/23/2017 at 10:38 AM, FritzIam4IU said:

For the Cubs, I think it's a better play because the Cubs bring in more money. Plus, the Ricketts have shown that they're willing to spend, but Crane's spending is still an unknown.

Side note: I think it takes 6 years. I'd be okay with a 4-year deal though. Bregman would be becoming a free agent right after that contract is coming off the books, so that keeps the possibility of us retaining our core 4 of Altuve, Springer, Correa and Bregman (sadly no I don't think we retain all four).

I've been off the baseball grid but just my two cents. If $ is the same...keep Jake over Darvish. Like Jake's toughness and familiarity with Cubs. I'd be in favor of Machado but only if it's reasonable like Russell and maybe Almora or a Happ type player. We do that and move Baez to SS and  if Almora is the other player they need we can platoon Zobrist/Happ for a year.  I think Almora is expendable (if we keep Jay) because Harper is obviously a favorite to be in Chicago after next season. Remember we have stud prospects but they are all at Single A or AA right now. They'll be coming up in 2 years to fill holes.

In terms of Schwarber. Unless something changes I don't know how many times Theo is going to have to say he's in our long term plans. He's shown he's not moving him.

Between the revenue the Cubs have been stock piling, new tv deal coming up including streaming rights....the Cubs will be frugal to a point but $ won't be the issue on signing Bryant, Rizzo and hopefully Harper to deals. Ricketts has shown he'll spend when needed. He saved during first 4 years of ownership. His $900M investment has doubled. Time to start reeling off titles and opening purse strings. 

1 minute ago, rico said:

I hear ya....but he is a commodity.  And Winker needs a place to play.

Schebler and Duvall are essentially the same player other than one bats left and one bats right.  I would move one of them before Billy to make room for Winker.  Granted, neither of those guys would bring the return Hamilton would, but Billy's defense will be impossible to replace. 

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Schebler and Duvall are essentially the same player other than one bats left and one bats right.  I would move one of them before Billy to make room for Winker.  Granted, neither of those guys would bring the return Hamilton would, but Billy's defense will be impossible to replace. 

To be honest I would deal Schebler before Hamilton.  I keep Duvall.  

Archived