MLB discussion

rico

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Per mlbtraderumors.com

Along with the previously reported Chris Archer, the Cubs are interested in swinging a trade for Pirates righty Gerrit Cole, Levine writes. This is the first reported connection of the offseason between the Cubs and Cole, who has mostly been linked to the Yankees. Talks between the Yankees and Pirates simmered last month, though, which could pave the way for another team to swoop in and land the 27-year-old. Given that Chicago and Pittsburgh are in the same division, the Cubs are obviously quite familiar with Cole. The Scott Boras client is under control for the next two seasons, and he’ll earn a projected $7.5MM in 2018

13 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Cole traded from Pirates to Houston...seems like the Pirates didn't get a great return back. I wish the Cubs could have gotten him, but I figured they wouldn't trade him within the division.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/01/astros-to-acquire-gerrit-cole-2.html

Good get for the Stros.  Now let's see if the Buccos ship Cutch.

Reading the tea leaves from Theo at Cubs Convention. He doesn't believe in the market that's been set by free agent pitchers. He'll choose to wait it out. With that said. Pitchers/Catchers report in 30 days. Some of these guys need to start deciding soon. I'm hoping Jake sticks with Cubs, we sign Cobb and go from there. Archer could be a midseason trade option since Rays seem to be asking for a bit more than most want to give up considering he'll leave there. 

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Reading the tea leaves from Theo at Cubs Convention. He doesn't believe in the market that's been set by free agent pitchers. He'll choose to wait it out. With that said. Pitchers/Catchers report in 30 days. Some of these guys need to start deciding soon. I'm hoping Jake sticks with Cubs, we sign Cobb and go from there. Archer could be a midseason trade option since Rays seem to be asking for a bit more than most want to give up considering he'll leave there. 

I don't think they will sign Cobb anymore unless we miss on Darvish and Jake. I only think they will add one more starter this year unless one someone needs to be replaced during season when Cubs may trade for an Archer type...and I am a big fan of Archer and actually saw him pitch in AA ball.

The more I read, the more I am starting to believe that the Cubs are going to go hard after Bryce Harper next offseason. It could all be smoke and hype to drive up his price by Harper and his agent, but every time I read an article about Harper and his pending free agency it seems as though the Cubs are mentioned, along with the fact that he is really good friends with Kris Bryant.

The only way the Cubs don't sign Harper is because Harper chooses $. He's all but said I'll be there. His dog is named Wrigley. Best friends with Bryant. Will just become a $ thing. Considering Cubs are getting ready to launch/leverage their own TV network....$ isn't going to be an issue on our end. Just will have to overcome Theo's frugality (which I like) because Harper will probably get at least $30M per year. 

10 minutes ago, rico said:

Hmmmmmmm.  Do the Cubs need another catcher?

Well, Avilia who they picked up at the trade deadline from TIgers last year is a free agent and I'm not sure if they have plans to bring him back. I have not heard anything on that front. They signed this guy to a minor league deal and Caratini is on the 40 man roster, but could start season in AAA. So to answer your question, I have no idea ha! This just seems to me what the Cubs did before signing Lester when they signed Ross. We'll see.

11 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Well, Avilia who they picked up at the trade deadline from TIgers last year is a free agent and I'm not sure if they have plans to bring him back. I have not heard anything on that front. They signed this guy to a minor league deal and Caratini is on the 40 man roster, but could start season in AAA. So to answer your question, I have no idea ha! This just seems to me what the Cubs did before signing Lester when they signed Ross. We'll see.

I had to look up Gimenez........hmmmmm.

3 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Milwaukee is making moves...trading with Florida for Yelich and signed Cain to 5 year deal 80 million dollar deal. They have been connected to Yu as well. If Brewers sign Yu and Cubs end up not signing another starter...or sign Cobb, I think Milwaukee might take the Central.

I don't see the Brewers winning it.  But anything is possible though.

Archived