MLB discussion

rico

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I know there’s a lot of time left but I’m thrilled with what the Cardinals have done lately. Matheny clearly wasn’t the guy and Shildt has been doing great work. To be in the playoff race in mid August after where they were a month ago is impressive. 

Yep, the Redbirds are on fire.

2 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I know there’s a lot of time left but I’m thrilled with what the Cardinals have done lately. Matheny clearly wasn’t the guy and Shildt has been doing great work. To be in the playoff race in mid August after where they were a month ago is impressive. 

Going to mention Oakland as well.  I believe they were 10 games back around a month ago.  Although, I don't believe there are many A's fans here, I'm impressed.

On 12/22/2017 at 4:40 PM, Leathernecks said:

Agreed on Darvish.  Somebody is going to overspend for him, I just hope it isn't the Cubs.  He's had some injury issues including Tommy John surgery, and is 31.  I'd be a little wary giving him the $100-150 million contract someone will probably give him.

I really wish I wasn't right. Well, at least right at this point. He's requested an MRI for tomorrow, so it isn't sounding good for the rest of this season. Having so many elbow issues makes me feel that Tommy John might be in the near future...again.

49 minutes ago, PoHoosier said:

Going to mention Oakland as well.  I believe they were 10 games back around a month ago.  Although, I don't believe there are many A's fans here, I'm impressed.

Oakland keeps amazing me.  And I do follow them.

47 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I really wish I wasn't right. Well, at least right at this point. He's requested an MRI for tomorrow, so it isn't sounding good for the rest of this season. Having so many elbow issues makes me feel that Tommy John might be in the near future...again.

Yeah, I heard this.  Bummer, but hey it is part of the game.

5 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Matheny. Yikes. Should of been fired last year. A lot less stress now that Matheny and Crean are gone. 

Regarding Yu. Been saying this since May. Shut it down. No harm no foul. His contract is insured to the team up to 80% of total value. No reason to risk anything else at this point. The way I look at things. The Cubs have dealt with injuries all year. Never been fully operational and still have the best record in NL. Roll the dice with Lester, Hamels, and Hendricks in playoffs...maybe Q in 1 game and see what if you can go to NLCS for the 4th year in a row.

33 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Agreed. Matheny was in over his head. Shildt is night and day better. 

Fresh approach does work. Especially in baseball. Matheny was so rigid. That doesn't work in a 7 month grind. People can say what they want about Maddon....but given what he had to roll out there with Tampa (competing vs Red Sox, Yankees payroll) his way does work. No one can argue his results with Rays....and certainly not with Cubs.

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Fresh approach does work. Especially in baseball. Matheny was so rigid. That doesn't work in a 7 month grind. People can say what they want about Maddon....but given what he had to roll out there with Tampa (competing vs Red Sox, Yankees payroll) his way does work. No one can argue his results with Rays....and certainly not with Cubs.

He was way too rigid you’re right. And the guy was making the same mistakes this year as he was in his rookie year as manager. 

30 minutes ago, rico said:

An odd acquisition in my mind.

Veteran bat who has hit like .430 in Wrigley during his career and torched us during the playoffs. Gives another bat and the ability to move Baez to short, Murphy to 2nd, Zobrist to left when Schwarber isn't playing. No downside to this move at all and if it hits....we have a guy with a proven October history to add to our lineup. 

31 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Veteran bat who has hit like .430 in Wrigley during his career and torched us during the playoffs. Gives another bat and the ability to move Baez to short, Murphy to 2nd, Zobrist to left when Schwarber isn't playing. No downside to this move at all and if it hits....we have a guy with a proven October history to add to our lineup. 

So Addison is out of a job?

1 minute ago, rico said:

So Addison is out of a job?

No. ...but he's struggled all year and I don't see him getting guaranteed every day playing time moving forward. Cubs basically gave him as much time as possible to fix it and he hasn't. Maddon trusts veterans (no secret) so as we head into September/October I could see lineups of Murphy, Zobrist, Baez at 2nd, LF and SS. Schwarber better get going too. I love him but he's batting below .200 this year with runners in scoring position. Won't cut it.

17 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

No. ...but he's struggled all year and I don't see him getting guaranteed every day playing time moving forward. Cubs basically gave him as much time as possible to fix it and he hasn't. Maddon trusts veterans (no secret) so as we head into September/October I could see lineups of Murphy, Zobrist, Baez at 2nd, LF and SS. Schwarber better get going too. I love him but he's batting below .200 this year with runners in scoring position. Won't cut it.

What about Bote?

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Is what it is. He's played well. But he isn't starting every day when everyone is healthy. 

Ummmmm....his sample size is pretty good.  If I were the Cubs I would plug him in.   Ride the hot hand while it is hot.  

5 minutes ago, rico said:

Ummmmm....his sample size is pretty good.  If I were the Cubs I would plug him in.   Ride the hot hand while it is hot.  

When everyone is healthy I don't think the Cubs will be playing him over Bryant, Zobrist/Murphy at 2nd or Schwarber/Zobrist in LF. He'll play...but it won't be in front of those guys. Platoon role, pinch hitting...just another weapon to use down the stretch and now potential trade bait in the off season. Short and long term possibilities from him. Pretty good story too considering how long it took for him to get up to league. He's living the absolute dream. 

8 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

Cubs have scored 1 run in 5 straight games. All 5 runs are from solo home runs. That has to be a record.

Very well might be.

But not getting timely hitting will do that to ya.  The box score I read said the Cubbies left 9 men in scoring position with 2 out.

Archived