MLB discussion

rico

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

And the Dodgers just traded Kemp, Puig, and Alex Wood to Reds for Homer and prospects. Toughest division in baseball. Not even close now. Our worst team (Reds) just got better today.

Hopefully the Reds are not done because now they have to may corner outfielders  Hopefully they continue talks with the Indians for Kluber of sign Kiechel.   They also need a CF because al they have right now is Schebler and he is not really a starting CF either..  I would love for them to sign AJ Pollock to be their CR.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

And the Dodgers just traded Kemp, Puig, and Alex Wood to Reds for Homer and prospects. Toughest division in baseball. Not even close now. Our worst team (Reds) just got better today.

Many Reds fans get an early Christmas present as they get rid of Bailey's big contract.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

That's pretty bold to say it isn't even close. There's three good teams in the NL Central, none of them look like championship teams to me at this point though the Cards may be close. I'll still take the AL East. 

30 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

That's pretty bold to say it isn't even close. There's three good teams in the NL Central, none of them look like championship teams to me at this point though the Cards may be close. I'll still take the AL East. 

The contrarian appears. 38 games vs Orioles and Blue Jays. Even if you assume the Rays split with the Yankees and Red Sox....it isn't even close. No worries. We can chalk this one up to we'll catch up next summer. 

The contrarian appears. 38 games vs Orioles and Blue Jays. Even if you assume the Rays split with the Yankees and Red Sox....it isn't even close. No worries. We can chalk this one up to we'll catch up next summer. 

I am on board with the Orioles being the worst team in either division, but the Blue Jays, Reds and Pirates are all about the same level of bad. 

I'll take the Red Sox, Yankees and Rays over the Cards, Cubs and Brewers. Let's not pretend the Red Sox aren't a distant best team of those six and the Yankees aren't easily the second best of those six. 

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

I am on board with the Orioles being the worst team in either division, but the Blue Jays, Reds and Pirates are all about the same level of bad. 

I'll take the Red Sox, Yankees and Rays over the Cards, Cubs and Brewers. Let's not pretend the Red Sox aren't a distant best team of those six and the Yankees aren't easily the second best of those six. 

I agree the Red Sox and Yankees won over a 100 games and the rays won 90 games

9 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

The Rays had 90 wins because they had 24 last year vs Orioles and Blue Jays. Without them on the schedule each year....Rays are a 78-79 win team at best. Red Sox played great last year no doubt...but to say distant best over the past few years? Before last year they were bounced in back to back division series and missed playoffs completely 2 years before that.

Back to my original point. The NL Central (top to bottom) is the best division in baseball. It's not close. Worst team in division just made huge improvements to offense in a ballpark that loves to yield runs. No longer is it a guarantee to get 2/3 or 3/4 when visiting Cincy. 

The Rays had 90 wins because they had 24 last year vs Orioles and Blue Jays. Without them on the schedule each year....Rays are a 78-79 win team at best. Red Sox played great last year no doubt...but to say distant best over the past few years? Before last year they were bounced in back to back division series and missed playoffs completely 2 years before that.

Back to my original point. The NL Central (top to bottom) is the best division in baseball. It's not close. Worst team in division just made huge improvements to offense in a ballpark that loves to yield runs. No longer is it a guarantee to get 2/3 or 3/4 when visiting Cincy. 

You're going back four and five seasons to justify why the Red Sox and Yankees aren't the two best teams in either division now. Is that really all you've got? 

The Rays did get to play Baltimore 19 times but they had to play the Yankees and Red So 38. The Jays had to play 57 games against 90 win teams in their division. Against the rest of the league their record was 57-47; they aren't a bad team they're in an incredibly hard division. 

If by best division in baseball, you mean the worst team is the best worst team then sure. I'll take a division that is better 1-4, personally. 

Red Sox > Cubs

Yankees > Brewers

Rays < Cards 

Jays  > Pirates

11 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Think Puig will be the starting RF and Kemp and Winker platoon in LF unless they move Kemp to another team.

Common wisdom says they will flip Kemp.  But the Reds are still looking for a TOR pitcher and they got other trade pieces as well.

22 hours ago, hoosiertildeath said:

My Dodgers picked up two very good prospects from the Reds and saved money to use in their pursuit of Bryce Harper ! This is a win-win situation for both teams , imho !

TBH, strange deal.  Two former all-stars and a SP for two prospects and a washed up guy(who they have already released).  They cleared up room under the luxury tax to pursue Harper....but I have to think the Dodgers have a "plan B".

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, rico said:

Pretty in-depth read here concerning the state of the game...

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2019/01/07/a-warning-about-major-league-baseballs-record-revenues/

Thought the Reds were going to spend a lot more money to get top pitchers but have not happened yet.  I like the moves they have made so far but I was hoping for a little more from the Reds this off season.

Archived