Welcome to Hoosier Sports Nation | Indiana Basketball and Sports Forum

Welcome to HoosierSportsNation 3.0 -- our newest and best iteration.  We promise we won't bite -- come on in and register to join the party!

Sign in to follow this  
Shapopojoe

Evan Fitzner Commits to IU

Archie was wining and dining Fitzner during the announcement last night....at the perfect place, I might add...Zagrebs, the best....so what are our chances with Evan? Any inside info?

5 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

I'd say pretty damn good. 

It could have been Zagrebs that put him over the top...Love that filet...

42 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Shot 41% from 3 this year 

While I still think we could use another ball-handler/shooter, I'll gladly take a big that can spread the floor! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

While I still think we could use another ball-handler/shooter, I'll gladly take a big that can spread the floor! 

yes... agree. but... if Davis isn't going to be healthy at all, we just about have to go grad transfer big without knowing what we're getting from Moore or Forrester, right? 

10 minutes ago, btownqb said:

yes... agree. but... if Davis isn't going to be healthy at all, we just about have to go grad transfer big without knowing what we're getting from Moore or Forrester, right? 

Yes, agree. I'm also probably minimizing a bit Romeo's ability to help with ball handling. I wouldn't even be shocked for stretches to see some lineups with Green, Phinisee and Romeo all in together, and then you could add any combo of Morgan/Smith/Fitner. 

Edited by BGleas
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think people are sleeping on Damezi. No reason he can't average 7-10 min /game as a backup 2 and 3. This article talks about his shooting- 43% from 3- and his developing ability as a ball handler. https://indiana.rivals.com/news/damezi-anderson-will-add-effortless-shot-to-iu-roster

• Like 1

I mean if this kid can really be a fit and a stretch marks-man shooter, then so be it.  I just don't get the love.  He played 15 mins a game.  He shot 65 3 pointers all season.  Can he continue to hit 40% against bigger and faster competition?  I remember thinking Evan Gordon would be decent after scoring 10 a game against pac 10 competition.  He came here and dropped 5.  

I remember a certain grad transfer from Michigan that was not exactly lighting up the stats columns.....worked out pretty well for us

• Like 3

Looks like a 6'10" Lance Stemler to me.  I'd be fine signing him for a year.  Sounds like he can shoot which is what we'll need.  If he can give us 5-10 mins off the bench that would be great.   We have a scholarship to burn for 1 year.  Why not use it?

• Like 2

I really, really enjoy the transition from former methodology of oversigning to, now, being in a position to consider a grad transfer.  I’m confident if Archie does not see the fit, Fitzner will not be signed.  He mentioned at his original press conference that he doesn’t see the need to fill every scholarship just to fill it. 

The only risk in signing him is if someone, like a Jordan Tucker from this past season, gets to the semester and wants to transfer (Duke to Butler), but otherwise signing a grad transfer seems safe.  For 19 -20 we currently have 2 spots open.  Romeo will likely leave early, making 3 spots for next season.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I mean if this kid can really be a fit and a stretch marks-man shooter, then so be it.  I just don't get the love.  He played 15 mins a game.  He shot 65 3 pointers all season.  Can he continue to hit 40% against bigger and faster competition?  I remember thinking Evan Gordon would be decent after scoring 10 a game against pac 10 competition.  He came here and dropped 5.  

You’re completely leaving out fit and the talent around them with an Evan Gordon comparison. Gordon joined a poorly coached, young team that needed him to carry a load he wasn’t capable of. The much better comparison for Fitzner is Bielfeldt. Bielfeldt joins a more talented team where he was just asked to be a good locker room guy, defend the post, hustle and hit open 3’s. It’s a defined role on a better team. 

If this kid can hit open 3’s at a 40% clip (which he’s proven he can do), hustle, defend the post and grab some boards, then he can be a great fit on a team that will need people to space the floor for Morgan, Langford, Green and the other guys. 

Fit vs. talent. Before Langford we needed talent, with Langford it’s all about fit. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Shapopojoe said:

I remember a certain grad transfer from Michigan that was not exactly lighting up the stats columns.....worked out pretty well for us

Or a kid that averaged 6 ppg in the MVC that turned into a deadeye sniper on the same team and ended up playing professionally.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Looks like a 6'10" Lance Stemler to me.  I'd be fine signing him for a year.  Sounds like he can shoot which is what we'll need.  If he can give us 5-10 mins off the bench that would be great.   We have a scholarship to burn for 1 year.  Why not use it?

Exactly! I really don't see a down side here. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

You’re completely leaving out fit and the talent around them with an Evan Gordon comparison. Gordon joined a poorly coached, young team that needed him to carry a load he wasn’t capable of. The much better comparison for Fitzner is Bielfeldt. Bielfeldt joins a more talented team where he was just asked to be a good locker room guy, defend the post, hustle and hit open 3’s. It’s a defined role on a better team. 

If this kid can hit open 3’s at a 40% clip (which he’s proven he can do), hustle, defend the post and grab some boards, then he can be a great fit on a team that will need people to space the floor for Morgan, Langford, Green and the other guys. 

Fit vs. talent. Before Langford we needed talent, with Langford it’s all about fit. 

Fit is huge.  If CAM sees him fitting I'm all about it.  I do like the idea of waiting and seeing, it seems there is always some decent fruit that falls off the tree late.  

He barely shot more 3 attempts than McRobert's, so I'm not sure we can deem him our next Beilfeldt.  Many of us were optimistic Newkirk would improve and flourish.  I think most thought Gordon would imrpove too and he just didn't.  

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

Fit is huge.  If CAM sees him fitting I'm all about it.  I do like the idea of waiting and seeing, it seems there is always some decent fruit that falls off the tree late.  

He barely shot more 3 attempts than McRobert's, so I'm not sure we can deem him our next Beilfeldt.  Many of us were optimistic Newkirk would improve and flourish.  I think most thought Gordon would imrpove too and he just didn't.  

Max only took 41 3s before playing at IU

• Like 4