Boy Scouts of America

rico

5 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Seems like they are trying to make up the revenue lost after the decision to allow openly gay leaders.

An interesting take.  Although I think it has more to do with the decline of the Girl Scouts.  "Be prepared".

6 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Not the only cause of decline but part of it.  Considering most troops are sponsored by churches.  

When I was in it was all about the camping and merit badges. Even went whitewater rafting and a week long canoe trip in the boundary waters.

The Boy Scouts are big in my neck of the woods.........Girl Scouts.....uh no.

On 5/2/2018 at 9:25 AM, rico said:

As the father of two eagle scouts and a current Scout Master I have mixed feelings about this new direction.  For the girls to join they have to set up a new troop and be separate from the boys.  I wish we could of worked with the Girl Scouts to set up a similar outdoor/advancement programs within their organization rather than set up separate female troops in the BSA.  While I feel that the BSA program is awesome there are things we could improve on.  One is fundraising, Girl Scout cookies are a much better product than overpriced popcorn.

My oldest son works at one of the BSA high adventure camps during the summer.  They often have groups of young females attend for a week from the Girl Scouts, American Heritage, Churches, Etc.  He says that they typically perform as well or better than the boys.  Sorry to ramble on but after looking at this from the inside and out it sure seems that this is as much about declining enrollment than anything else.

47 minutes ago, Dr. Jones said:

As the father of two eagle scouts and a current Scout Master I have mixed feelings about this new direction.  For the girls to join they have to set up a new troop and be separate from the boys.  I wish we could of worked with the Girl Scouts to set up a similar outdoor/advancement programs within their organization rather than set up separate female troops in the BSA.  While I feel that the BSA program is awesome there are things we could improve on.  One is fundraising, Girl Scout cookies are a much better product than overpriced popcorn.

My oldest son works at one of the BSA high adventure camps during the summer.  They often have groups of young females attend for a week from the Girl Scouts, American Heritage, Churches, Etc.  He says that they typically perform as well or better than the boys.  Sorry to ramble on but after looking at this from the inside and out it sure seems that this is as much about declining enrollment than anything else.

I love the over priced popcorn comment.  Which is true.  30 years ago, brownies/Girl Scouts would knock on my door to sell me their cookies, which I love BTW.  They seem to have disappeared in my area.  I have to reach out to get the cookies.  

I had the merit badges and requirements for life scout and enough to start my eagle scout project. I got busy with sports and other things and could not make enough meetings for my scout leader to let me advance. I regret that. As an adult with limited time I surely could have made it work in retrospect. Had some really good times in boy scouts. 

On 5/3/2018 at 4:51 AM, mrflynn03 said:

Not the only cause of decline but part of it.  Considering most troops are sponsored by churches.  

When I was in it was all about the camping and merit badges. Even went whitewater rafting and a week long canoe trip in the boundary waters.

My dad was a boy scout leader for many years and took a handful of trips to the Quetico with them. Had to stop being boy scout leader before I got old enough, but we take a trip up there almost every summer. Such a fun place to go.

Archived